Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Name change in my emails

Frequent Visitor

Name change in my emails

After being the primary email user and having the only email account for 5 years, my emails sent on my Android tablet using the Xfinity email app suddenly changed from being from me to being from my husband's name when received by my contacts. He has never had an Xfinity email account, and he has never been listed as the primary user on My Account. When I look at the settings on the email app, the last thing listed is "Sign out of _______" (with his name listed) with no way to edit it. His name was on the original Comcast bill 40 years ago, and the bills come with his name on them today, but none of the Xfinity techs can figure out why my name has been replaced by his name on my emails that I send. One tech told me that they had a server change about the time all of this started, but there must be some way to put it back to where my emails show that they are from me!

Email Expert

Re: Name change in my emails

I'm curious------------do you have a desktop or laptop computer?  If so, what shows in the From field for a recipient if you send an email from the computer using only a browser?  Or have you tried using only a browser on the tablet instead of using the mail app?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I'm only having this problem when I send an email on my Android tablet using the mail app. I haven't tried using Xfinity mail through my browser (although I've looked at it.....looks awful!). When my recipients get my emails, they say that they're from my husband instead of me (like they've been for years). No one can figure out what caused this change.

Thanks for your reply.

Email Expert

The reason I asked is to see if we can at least eliminate the phone's email app as the culprit.  As a test, sign into the Comcast account with only the browser, then send a test email to some other non-Comcast account you have and see if the same thing happens with the name.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thank you, I've sent a test email to someone through the web mail to see if my husband's name shows up that way and will let you know when she replies. That was a great idea that the techs didn't think of!

Latoque wrote:

The reason I asked is to see if we can at least eliminate the phone's email app as the culprit.  As a test, sign into the Comcast account with only the browser, then send a test email to some other non-Comcast account you have and see if the same thing happens with the name.

Frequent Visitor

Aha! She replied and his name is not on it! So it's a glitch in the app!!!

Email Expert

Well, at least now you know.  If you haven't already, check your account details in the app to see if you can spot your husband's name.  That, or delete the Comcast account, then recreate it from scratch.  See if that gets it right.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

That's what the tech and I kept searching for, but we never saw a place where it showed his name, but under settings it does say "sign out of ____" and his name. No way to edit it.

Official Employee

Lilliz, have you been able to try Latoque's suggestion: 

Well, at least now you know.  If you haven't already, check your account details in the app to see if you can spot your husband's name.  That, or delete the Comcast account, then recreate it from scratch.  See if that gets it right.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately my husband's name doesn't show up anywhere in the settings for the app, except for the very last entry under Settings where it says "sign out of _____ and has his name there. I have force stopped, then uninstalled the app, then reinstalled the app, but it didn't stop the name change.

My sister deleted my name from her Comcast address book then added it back since every time she started typing my name on the To: line, it would immediately change to my husband's name, but it didn't help to reinstall the app. However, today when she put my name in to send me an email, it did not change! Perhaps changes have started to be made. My emails still have my hubby's name, though!

Regular Visitor

I am having the same issue.  The problem seems in the Xfinity connect app.  When I send email from my PC, using Mozilla Thunderbird, recipients see it coming from my name.  However, if I'm using either my iPad or my Android phone using the app, the email shows it coming from the nickname and reinstalling the app doesn't help. The problem started 4-6 weeks ago, probably after an app upgrade, although I can't be sure.  I see no way to change the nickname, short of deleting the account--my primary one--and starting over. Neither phone support nor the staff at my local Xfinity store have been helpful in solving this, no are any of the online help screens or FAQs.

Frequent Visitor

I'm sorry you're having the same problem, but so glad to hear I'm not alone! The last I heard from the 3rd tier was that others were having it, too, and it was going to the engineers. The new server they got has messed us up!
New Poster

The xfinity connect app just updated on my android table & phone and I'm having the exact same issue! My husband name now shows up on emails from me.  My friends are asking me what I've done.  This is NOT acceptable.  Come on Comcast - all FAQs related to this issue are out of date.  If you're going to make changes to your software - then change the documentation that goes with it!!  So frustrating.

Frequent Visitor

You have the exact same problem with your husband's name showing up!  It is so frustrating and confusing to my email recipients! This has been going on for more than 3 mo., since they installed a new server, but when I spoke with the rep on the advanced team recently, he said that they have made no progress in solving it. He had already told me that there were several others with this problem, and the engineers were working on it. I guess they finally took me seriously after finding out I'm not the only one! He mentioned that they may have to reconfigure the app. It really makes Comcast look bad that they can't find a solution for something that seems so simple. 

tlp55 wrote:

The xfinity connect app just updated on my android table & phone and I'm having the exact same issue! My husband name now shows up on emails from me.  My friends are asking me what I've done.  This is NOT acceptable.  Come on Comcast - all FAQs related to this issue are out of date.  If you're going to make changes to your software - then change the documentation that goes with it!!  So frustrating.

New Poster

My emails from both my phone and desktop both have my husband's name in the "from" line. So frustrating and confusing since I use my email for work.
Frequent Visitor

Interesting, since that tells me that the name change doesn't just happen with Android tablets as Comcast first thought. It is confusing, as I told them. My recipients have told me they didn't know who sent the emails from me at first. Comcast initially told me that they thought something was wrong with my tablet (which I didn't think was the problem). I think with more and more people reporting this, they'll finally find a solution. My nephew previously had a wifi problem that took them a long time to solve, but they finally did.

New Poster

I can't stand it! Same thing happened to me and I have spent many many hours trying to get help from xfinity to correct this and now they are telling me it's an Apple thing. Please help
Frequent Visitor

Comcast/Xfinity needs to take this "glitch" very seriously. This is not only confusing our recipients, but when this happens to users who are conducting business and causing confusion, it rachets up to a whole new problem, and it is not at all acceptable to any of us! The answer is probably something fairly obvious on their end, if they would ask for help outside their circle. It is not our fault - we haven't changed anything, and they are the ones making updates to servers and apps. I feel very let down by them.

Regular Visitor

I am having the same problem with my husband's name on the From line. This really needs to be fixed. It definitely is the app.
New Poster

I am having similar issue, but with a slight variation. When I send an email from my iPhone it shows as “Comcast” as the sender when my recipients receive it. They have no idea it is from me, and most aren’t opening them, just deleting them. Only happens from my phone. I am sending through Outlook, using 123Together as my email provider. I have had tech support look into this and all agree it’s a Comcast issue. Something they did approx 2 months ago caused this to happen.
Frequent Visitor

Frustrating, isn't it?!! I have had the name change happen when I reply to an email on my phone, but not as often as my tablet which is all the time. Xfinity has obviously written off me and others with this problem, since I haven't heard anything from them in months.

Frequent Visitor

Please let Comcast know about this.  I keep hearing from more and more users with this problem, and maybe if enough people complain, they'll realize they need to fix their app or whatever it takes.  It is ridiculous that they can't find out how to fix something that should be fairly simple.  A name change doesn't sound too complicated to find to me.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation