Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

My name is being used in fraudulent emails.

ANSWERED
New Poster

My name is being used in fraudulent emails.

My sister is receiving fraudulent emails with my name attached. The email has my name and a Comcast.net address. I do not have a Comcast.net email account, but my sister does. Does this mean one of our email accounts has been hacked?  Which one?

Accepted Solution

Re: My name is being used in fraudulent emails.

You didn't say what email service you do use, but check your Sent folder to see if there is anything in there you know you didn't send.  If so, the account has been compromised and you need to change the password right away.  If not, someone is just using your name to "spoof" emails.  It is quite easy for spammers to make it look like emails are coming from you when they are not.  There is nothing you can do about that but wait it out.  Spammers will usually use a name or address for a while and move on to annoy someone else.

View answer in context
Email Expert

You didn't say what email service you do use, but check your Sent folder to see if there is anything in there you know you didn't send.  If so, the account has been compromised and you need to change the password right away.  If not, someone is just using your name to "spoof" emails.  It is quite easy for spammers to make it look like emails are coming from you when they are not.  There is nothing you can do about that but wait it out.  Spammers will usually use a name or address for a while and move on to annoy someone else.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Hello Lushia28, most likely this is a spoofed e-mail just like those spoofed phone calls we all love (Heavy sarcasm). What I would suggest is have your sister make sure she runs a virus scan to clean anything off that might be there. If you need any further help going forward please reach out to us, we are always here to assist. Have a great day.   

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation