Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

My Inbox arrangement changes when I go to Trash and come back. How do I return to or keep my list of new email?

Frequent Visitor

My Inbox arrangement changes when I go to Trash and come back. How do I return to or keep my list of new email?

I open my email, I have 23 new messages all stacked up.  I read and delete 4 and realize I missed something in #2.  I click into trash to review it.  Now I click back into Inbox.  My remaining 19 messages are spread all over my cache of 30-50 emails like the dog came in from a muddy back yard and romped all over them.  I click the little caret above, they reverse order but are still intermingled. Ahah!  Click Date. I do so.  Now I have some weird order like Feb. 18; Feb 19; 3:02 AM; 3:14 AM; Jan 12: 5:34 AM; March 15:

So, now they are still in some order, not by month, not by date, not by time, but at least all the new ones are mostly together except for a couple of stubborn line-cutters and I have to search these out.  As far as following FaceBook entries, I lose the entire chronological order of email notices and have no idea how to get that order back.

New Poster

order of email messages

Simple qn - how do I get my email messages back into chronological order? I'm using Chrome on an iMac OSX 10.9.5

Gold Problem Solver

Re: order of email messages

In the Inbox, click on DATE to sort by Date.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

When I click on "Date" to arrange my emails it has some arbitrary method, i.e., February 23; February 24; 3:19 AM; January 12:  4:02 AM; 4:14 AM; March 1;

I don't know what this is about, but that's the "date" arrangement I get. 

Actually, when I open my email, everything is fine, I'll have23 messages.  I'll read a couple, delete one, realize I missed something, go back into trash to check on the deleted message, and then come back to my Inbox, but now my list of 23 (23-4=19) 19 messages are spread all over the list of old email and I can't get those guys back in line!  And to hit "date", well, as said above.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but I came here thinking I might find an answer.

Email Expert

Re: My Inbox arrangement changes when I go to Trash and come back. How do I return to or keep my list of new email?

I am now seeing the same thing in my account.  It's not something we can fix ourselves, so I'm escalating it to the forum administrator level to see if we can get someone to look at it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Administrator
Administrator

Re: My Inbox arrangement changes when I go to Trash and come back. How do I return to or keep my ...

Thank you for letting me know of this krklaus. I tried to duplicate the issue but was unable to do so, what browser are you using? -FC 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Email Expert

Re: My Inbox arrangement changes when I go to Trash and come back. How do I return to or keep my ...

I was using Chrome when I first had the issue.  I tried clearing history and it changed nothing.  So I signed in using Safari and got the same result.

ETA:  I just tried with Firefox------same thing.  I'm on an iMac if that makes any difference.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Administrator
Administrator

Latoque, thank you for that information. That helps a lot as I was able to duplicate on my Macbook. It seems like this is not happening on Windows devices. I will forward this to the web team to be looked into. Something that you can try on the meantime that worked for me is if you click on top of date on the headers , the system should default to sorting by date and so far it has not gone back. Could you PM me or say through here the version of the OS you are currently using? I would need this to have this looked into. -FC

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Email Expert

What do you mean by " if you click on top of date on the headers"?  I am still running the last version of Yosemite.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Administrator
Administrator

On the top right if you click were it says date on the gray bar before the email starts it will sticky it to keep auto sorting by date. After I clicked on it, I tried to replicate the issue and it sorted them for me by chronological order. Is just a temp fix, and I am not sure if it will work on your end but it did for me. I am also running a version of Yosemite on the computer I was able to replicate it. Thank you for this information and I will forward this for the team. -FC 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Email Expert

OK here's the difference----I use the View with the reading pane set to the right.  That is where I've been having the issue.  I'm assuming the OP is doing the same.  If I set the reading pane to the bottom or turn it off I get what you are describing and it seems to work as it should.  I'm using Chrome at the moment.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Administrator
Administrator

Thank you once more Latoque, the web team is looking into it at this moment. They currently have no ETA and are still investigating what is causing it. -FC 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Read the whole message.  I clicked on Date and it doesn't do the job.

Frequent Visitor

Mozilla at work and Google Chrome at home.  Same effect.

Frequent Visitor

Mozilla Firefox at work, and I don't know how to fine out what version, it mentions nothing under Properties; and Google Chrome at home which I can't check out the version, if there is one, even if I could figure out how.

Frequent Visitor

As my message said, when I click on "Date" in the drop down from the toolbar(?) I get a real hodge-podge of postings, not really by Date or chronologically.  Hard to follow FaceBood threads via emails when the dates are all over my inbox.

Frequent Visitor

My Xfinity/Comcast Inbox has a gray header over the first email listed.  That header is divided into columns marked "Star (Mewssage Status), From, paper clip (sort by attachment), Subject, Folder, Size and Date.  A right click on From gets a dropdown allowing me to choose how I want my emails displayed. If I click on the last, Date, I get the result posted above.