Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

My Home Computer email folders are now up on the Xfinity Server! Why did that happen?!

New Poster

My Home Computer email folders are now up on the Xfinity Server! Why did that happen?!

We have used an email client (Thunderbird) at home on our PC for over a decade with no issues. We have it set up such that the email downloads (to our Thunderbird) do not erase the emails on the Xfinity server. This allows us, of course, to read our Xfinity email on our phones if we are away from our PC. About a month ago, I loaded Thunderbird on my wife's laptop and immediately noticed that the Xfinity email website now had all my PC's Thunderbird email folders!!  Somehow Xfinity uploaded all our email folders to its email site?!?!?!  And the folders change on the fly as we make changes to our home email folders!  So Xfinity is now reading my home PC's email folders!?!  Why? I did not ever ask for this to happen. DId Comcast change something? Did this happen to everyone who uses a home email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc)?  Is this a coincidence with the timing of me loading Thunderbird on my wife's laptop?

Xfinity taking control of our home email and folders has caused many issues now with our Thunderbird - with which we've never had any problems.

Help! Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Mark S.

Email Expert

Re: My Home Computer email folders are now up on the Xfinity Server! Why did that happen?!

It sounds like Thunderbird auto-configured the account on your wife's laptop using IMAP, which is the new normal.  With IMAP, everything is synced, so that you see the same things on any other device with the same account configured on it.  That is what is supposed to happen.  With multiple computers or other devices, IMAP is the protocol of choice.  If you don't want that, you would need to reconfigure the account on her laptop using POP3, which only works with the Inbox folder.  If you want to do that, you can find the settings here------------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: My Home Computer email folders are now up on the Xfinity Server! Why did that happen?!

Thank you!!

Why did my email folders all upload to Comcast after putting Thunderbird on her laptop? I've had my home PC's Thunderbird set to IMAP for years and that's never happened until I put Thunderbird on my wife's computer as IMAP. As helpful as it is to have our home email folders on the Comcast server when we're away from home, I just don't understand why this happened now.

Thanks again!