Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Macs and Comcast

Macs and Comcast

I am new to Macs, my sister gave my daughter her laptop that has MAC OS 9 on it. Can it be configured to Comcast?

Thanks....
Networking Expert

Re: Macs and Comcast

What model number is it? (There should be a program on it called System Profiler that can be run and it will tell you more than you want to know.) In any event, an ethernet cable or a wireless card can connect you via a router to share your Comcast modem. sam

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Mac Expert

Yep. Just make sure that in the Apple Menu/Control Panel/TCP-IP, it is Configured using DHCP and Connect via Built-in Ethernet. If you connect it to the modem in place of another machine currently connected, you'll need to power-cycle the modem so the laptop can get an internet connection. AS was mentioned, connecting multiple machines to your modem will require a router or internet sharing via one of the machines.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

Joel,
I just bought an iBook G4 to replace my Dell desktop. I wrote down all of the connection settings like the Mac book told me to, and entered them correctly. I am even getting a message saying that I am connected, but I cannot get on the internet at all. I tried contacting Comcast support, but got some kid who had no clue. What does "power-cycle the modem" mean, and does it sound like something I need to do? The kid I talked to at Comcast mentioned installing a particular driver on my Mac, but I hesitate to do anything like that since I'm only a year into using Macs.
Networking Expert

Do NOT install any "driver". "Power cycle the modem means unplug the ac wall power to the modem either by removing the connection from the back or removing it from the wall. Yes, you must do this and leave it out long enough to enjoy a cup of coffee. Then plug it back in and then restart your macintosh. This must be done every time you change computers and/or routers connected to your modem. Report back and tell us whether it worked. If it did not work, then tell us what you set in System Preferences/Network/... and what it says.
sam

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

IT WORKED!!!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you! I am typing this from my pretty new iBook. We did exactly as you said, and it worked beautifully. AND, there was no problem with the other computer on our home network, which was a concern.

If you ever need free music advice let me know! :-)
New Poster

I have a Mac running OSX connected to a Comcast modem via a wireless network. I would like to be able to connect to this Mac using remote login. However, it is not obvious how to do this. For example, how do I determine its URL?
Anyone else tried this out there?
Email Expert

Please start your own topic if you're not talking about the same issue as the original one here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Highlighted
Contributor

You can get your IP address here:

http://www.whatismyip.com/

Cory
Discussion stats