Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Macbook Pro printing isssue

Regular Contributor

Macbook Pro printing isssue

I have been having a problem printing web page content on my new Macbook Pro. All three browsers, Safari, Camino, and Firefox quit when the print command is clicked. I am using an HP all-in-one connected to an Airport extreme base station. Most other printing applications are working. Anyone else having this problem?
Regular Contributor

Re: Macbook Pro printing isssue

I am not having this problem, but a quick work-around until it is solved is to save the web page as a .pdf, and then print the .pdf.
Bronze Problem Solver

Are you using the drivers included on the MBP, or did you install from either the CD or HP site?

What's probably happening if the latter is the case is the drivers are running in Rosetta and the browser natively (although, unless you've got a UB version of Firefox, it should be running in Rosetta, although printing is broken in recent trunk nightlies).

Do a Get Info on Safari or Camino, check Run In Rosetta, then see if you can print.
Regular Contributor

Checking the "Open in Rosetta" tab had no effect. I have had some problems printing from web pages on my other macs since upgrading to 10.4, but was able to use the workaround of saving as PDF files and printing using Adobe reader, but now that option is not available as the browser closes as soon as I hit the print command, before the choice to save as PDF.

Previously I have installed the newest drivers from Hp with no real improvement.
I wonder if a gimp driver is available for my printer. I will check it out.
Regular Contributor

I partially solved the problem by using Printer Setup Repair utility, after reading a post on an Apple support forum page. Sometimes I can print directly from the browser, but I can now save and print as a Pdf file. I think there are continuing issues with Hp all-in-one products and 10.4x. I really like the ability to copy, fax and scan with the same machine, so I am reluctant to replace it.
Bronze Problem Solver

All In Ones are convenient to use, but the Swiss Army approach to anything usually means the product doesn't excel at doing any one task. Personally I would never buy an all In One anything, but that's just me. YMMV of course.

I would definitely try the Guten Print driver (formerly Gimp) and see if that helps. HP drivers have always been flaky in OSX, especially the ones d/l from their site. If you can't find one for your specific model, you can usually search and see which driver will work with your printer.
Regular Contributor

Thanks, Joel. I was able to find a gutenprint driver that worked, so now my printer is playing nice with the network again. I had been having problems since the release of 10.4, but now every application I have tried prints wonderfully. All is well in my world!!
Bronze Problem Solver

Glad to hear. I had actually used Gimp in the past with my HP Deskjet 6540 connected to my Airport, as it would always stall on larger print jobs. I'm actually thinking of going back to it, as it the printer has been acting up again. Need to check Intel compatibility.

You might find some minor issues with the open source driver. One that I had was when printing envelopes, I had to turn them the opposite way. And, I don't think it supported printing in reverse order, of course that all may have changed since.
Official Employee

Re: Bias

MustangAlly wrote:

I have issues with how Comcast shows their political bias every day - for example - all emails from Trump end up in my spam, even though I continuously say "not spam" -  perhaps the "geniuses" at Comcast  think that because I am a mere female, that they know better than I do, but from my personal experience over the decades I have been stuck with their not so great service, I highly doubt that they do - and I think they should stick to improving their services, laughable as they are (no wonder that they are deteriorating), rather than promoting their pathetic CEO's agaenda and bombarding us with their endless ads and LOL infomercials and their thinly disguised "Watch this NOW!" BS, and concentrate more on how to retain their rapidly shrinking customer base - won't be long now before all they have left are idiots - got news for you Comcast - you are becoming an even bigger joke than AOL was - 

MustangAlly-

Email filtering is driven by user feedback - there are absolutely no political considerations made.

If enough people report messages as spam, like messages are spamfoldered. Conversely, if enough people report spamfoldered mail as not spam, like messages are no longer treated as spam.

Hope this helps,

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon