New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Looking for a modem PCIe card.

New Poster

Looking for a modem PCIe card.

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a PCIe modem card. It seems logical that these would exist, and yet, I can't seem to find a single one.

My goal is to assemble a computer at home that will act as both - a server, and a router. I want to connect this desktop directly into the coax line provided by Comcast, and I can get a couple more nics and a wireless card. This way, I can install a Linux or BSD OS on the computer, and do all the port forwarding and firewalling directly on this gateway computer, and install all my server software on it. The goal is to have my network physically look as simple as possible simple, with a minimal amount of connections: coax > server/router/modem box.

Thanks for any assistance!

Misha

Connection Expert

Re: Looking for a modem PCIe card.

PCIe cards were for telco dialup connections. You need a DOCSIS standard cable modem. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Not necessarily true, I have heard of (still haven't found one) DOCSIS 2.0 internal cable modems, but from my understanding, DOCSIS 3.0 is the latest and greatest. The PCIe interface is capable of tremendous speeds, MUUUUCH faster than the puny 100Mbps provided by Comcast, or any other ISP for that matter. A simple modem takes Comcast's coax as input, and spits out a standard ethernet connection on the other end, which then (in a simple system) goes into a NIC on your computer, so I don't see the difficulty in manufacutring a PCIe card that takes Comcast's DOCSIS 3.0 coax, and presents it as a NIC to the desktop. There is no bandwidth issue, there's no drivers issues, so there really isn't a reason that such a card does not exist (even if it is rare). Which is why I am not willing to accept an answer of "it doesn't exist", and definitely not willing to accept what a Comcast rep told me today, "PCIe is really slow, that was 10 years ago, we have a new modem that is much faster".

EDIT: I can basically emulate what I am looking for by yanking the PCB out of a modem, buying a seperate rj45 PCIe NIC, and putting both of those in my box, I would much rather just buy a single DOCSIS 3.0 PCIe card that does that though.

Connection Expert

I can't tell you the "why's", sorry. Good luck !

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Silver Problem Solver

In addition to whether one exists, Comcast also has to support it. They are in control of the firmware and settings.

Service Expert

mishaparem wrote:

Not necessarily true, I have heard of (still haven't found one) DOCSIS 2.0 internal cable modems, but from my understanding, DOCSIS 3.0 is the latest and greatest. The PCIe interface is capable of tremendous speeds, MUUUUCH faster than the puny 100Mbps provided by Comcast, or any other ISP for that matter. A simple modem takes Comcast's coax as input, and spits out a standard ethernet connection on the other end, which then (in a simple system) goes into a NIC on your computer, so I don't see the difficulty in manufacutring a PCIe card that takes Comcast's DOCSIS 3.0 coax, and presents it as a NIC to the desktop. There is no bandwidth issue, there's no drivers issues, so there really isn't a reason that such a card does not exist (even if it is rare). Which is why I am not willing to accept an answer of "it doesn't exist", and definitely not willing to accept what a Comcast rep told me today, "PCIe is really slow, that was 10 years ago, we have a new modem that is much faster".

EDIT: I can basically emulate what I am looking for by yanking the PCB out of a modem, buying a seperate rj45 PCIe NIC, and putting both of those in my box, I would much rather just buy a single DOCSIS 3.0 PCIe card that does that though.

Comcast only supports/allows devices from this list here: http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

If it doesn't appear here, you cannot use it!

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon