Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Lied to about my modem speed to force new modem

Frequent Visitor

Lied to about my modem speed to force new modem

Now let me just start by saying that I hope this is just a small mistake and will be remedied soon. However I got an email today to my Xfinity account stating that my modem (Surfboard SB6141) is incapable of supporting my current subscription of 250Mbps. Not only that but it is also stating that my current modem is not even supported by Xfinity. So I clicked on the link in the email and looked at what my specs were for my modem and why I should be buying a new modem. The website I was forwarded to gave me these specs.

Device Type: CableModem

Download Speed: Up to 202 Mbps

Voice/Telephone enabled: No

WiFi enabled: No

DOCSIS Channels: 8 down × 4 up

DOCSIS Version: DOCSIS 3.0

IPv6: Yes

This information seemed odd and off for me so I went and looked at the specs of my modem straight from the Arris website and here is what they had to say.

• 8X Faster than DOCSIS 2.0
  • Download speeds up to 343 Mbps
  • DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
  • 8 download and 4 upload channels
  • Supports IPv4 and IPv6 – the latest Internet standard
  • Compatible with major U.S. Cable Providers

Also I get all my speed when I run a speed test, I get all my speed when downloading files, and nothing is running slowly or incorrectly. So is Xfinity trying to make people go out and buy new hardware or even worse make them rent a gateway from Xfinity themselves so that they can now have someone giving up their speed to Xfi and their new mobile platform as well? This just seems like some shady way to make people who dont have much tech information to just go out upgrade anything they need or call xfinity and have them send new hardware just to be attached to terrible equipment when their old equipment was more than capable. Again I say I hope this was just a small mistake and will soon be fixed.

New Poster

Re: Lied to about my modem speed to force new modem

I’m getting the same run around I own a arris surfboard SB6190 32 channel download capabilities. And they told me my modem is only capable of 250 MB. Liars

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation