Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

LibRef------------Please Read

Email Expert

LibRef------------Please Read

Your post contained personal information.  These are public forums and spammers or hackers can easily harvest that information.  You should never post your phone number, email address, mailing address, account numbers or anything else personally identifiable to you or anyone else.  Your message appears below with the personal information removed.  See the forum guidelines for posting———

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

LibRef wrote:

Someone is using my email address for a return path so that bounced/blocked email notices are sent to me. The last one says it was sent by xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@comcast.net. Return path = me. What can I do about this?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Re: Spammer using my email for return path

someone is sending me harassing obscene emails. Is there a way I can block this person and change my email address?

Email Expert

Re: LibRef------------Please Read

Latoque wrote:

Your post contained personal information.  These are public forums and spammers or hackers can easily harvest that information.  You should never post your phone number, email address, mailing address, account numbers or anything else personally identifiable to you or anyone else.  Your message appears below with the personal information removed.  See the forum guidelines for posting———

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

LibRef wrote:

Someone is using my email address for a return path so that bounced/blocked email notices are sent to me. The last one says it was sent by xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@comcast.net. Return path = me. What can I do about this?

There are a couple of possibilities here.  Check your Sent folder to see if anything is in there that you know you didn't send. If there is, then the account has been compromised. In that case you need to change the password to something a lot stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change the secret question and answer for the account.

If the Sent folder looks OK, then the most likely thing is that your account is being "spoofed". Spammers can make it look like emails came from you when in fact they did not. If that is the case, there is nothing you can do except notify your contacts of the problem and wait it out. Once a spammer has your email address there is nothing you can do to stop it. But in order to avoid detection they will usually only use an address for a few days or a week and move on to annoy someone else.

Also, use your A/V software to run a complete scan of your machine to see if it can find anything wrong.  Spoofing would account for all the bounces you are seeing.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Email Expert

Re: Spammer using my email for return path

PrincessPersian wrote:

someone is sending me harassing obscene emails. Is there a way I can block this person and change my email address?

From the Inbox page, go to Preferences>>>>>Email>>>>>>>Email Filters.  Set up a filter to discard any incoming messages from that particular sender using the email address as the criteria for "From".  The next time that person sends you anything the filter should just dump it before it gets to your Inbox so you never see it.  Try that for a while and see if it works ok for you.  If not, you can change your email address if you like----------------

You can change the address by changing the user name/ID, which is that part of the email address to the left of the @ symbol------

You have to sign in to the account with the Primary user name. Once you're on th Xfinity Home page, click on the Account tab. Once in that page, click on "Users and Settings" There you should see tabs for each account you have active. You can have the Primary and up to 6 secondary accounts. Under the account for each one, you will see "Change user name" as the first option. Click on that and the rest is easy.

Caution: Once you change the user name, you can't go back to the old one. Changing the user name will also change the user ID in the email address for that account. If anyone tries to send you an email at the old address they'll get a bounce as undeliverable. This applies to the Primary and any secondary addresses alike.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon