Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Keep getting popup message to fill in user name and password for Internet e-mail

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

Keep getting popup message to fill in user name and password for Internet e-mail

Pop up box comes on repeatedly asking for my user name and password, though these are already filled in. The save password box is unchecked but when I try to check it, it comes back cleared and box pops up again. This has happened before though I forget how problem has been solved.

Accepted Solution

Re: Keep getting popup message to fill in user name and password for Internet e-mail

One thing to try-----clear out your browser's cache/browsing history, and then close it out and re-start it in a fresh session.  If that doesn't do it, try another browser just as a test.

View answer in context
Email Expert

Re: Keep getting popup message to fill in user name and password for Internet e-mail

One thing to try-----clear out your browser's cache/browsing history, and then close it out and re-start it in a fresh session.  If that doesn't do it, try another browser just as a test.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

constant popup window in all my computers asking for password

Internet e-mail  popup window asking me to enter user name and password for mail.comt.net server.  keeps constantly poping up on all my computers for all my email accounts.  Cant work cause popup window keeps interupting computer.  Tried calling comcast service but line keeps disconnecting

Frequent Visitor

Re: constant popup window in all my computers asking for password

I'm getting the same thing - really frustrating!

Email Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

Happening to me too, in Outlook

New Poster

Since it is happening on multiple computers for me both at home and work I am pretty sure it is issue with Comcast and not my computers or browsers   Smiley Sad

Frequent Visitor

I tried clearing out the cache & re-starting, but the problem came right back.

It will retrieve the mail after putting in my password- but it is really annoying to have to keep doing it even after clicking the box to remember the password.

Since so many people are complaining of the same issue, I believe it is a Comcast-generated problem.

I have an Apple computer and am using Safari.

Regular Visitor

I get the dialogue box with the user name and password already filled in but the "Save this password..." check box is unchecked.  When I check it and click OK then I get my emails, but not for long; it looks like after one send/receive cycle the check box gets unchecked again.  What's up with that, Comcast??? 

Frequent Visitor

Ok, so Comcast has merged threads with the same problem - how about a reply or update?

Frequent Visitor

And the problem is intermittant.

New Poster

i have the same issue in both outlook as well as on my iphone with all my comcast accounts.  Is comcast working on a solution???

ekmtkm wrote:

Pop up box comes on repeatedly asking for my user name and password, though these are already filled in. The save password box is unchecked but when I try to check it, it comes back cleared and box pops up again. This has happened before though I forget how problem has been solved.

Regular Visitor

This is also happening to me right now; it happens off and on, maybe once every month or two, and seems to clear up by itself.  Comcast should provide a permanent fix for this problem.  If anyone has a solution, please reply.

Regular Visitor

I've only been using Comcast for a couple of months and have had several issues, all of which took an incredibly long time to fix and one of which has never been resolved.  This makes #2.  I see that this exact problem has cropped up before.  Did Comcast ever come back and say exactly what was wrong and what they did to correct it?

Regular Visitor

jmgougarsr, have never had a response from Comcast tech about how to resolve this on-going problem.  I'm not impresed with Comcast tech support.  Isn't one of them reading these blogs?

Email Expert

mystic wrote:

I tried clearing out the cache & re-starting, but the problem came right back.

It will retrieve the mail after putting in my password- but it is really annoying to have to keep doing it even after clicking the box to remember the password.

Since so many people are complaining of the same issue, I believe it is a Comcast-generated problem.

I have an Apple computer and am using Safari.

I too am on a Mac, using Safari.  I'm not having any sign in issues.  One thing everyone in this thread needs to check, is what your settings are in whatever browser you're using.  The "Remember Me" feature is a function of cookies in the browser.  Every time you clear cache, it wipes out that cookie.  So if you have the browser preferences set to automatically delete cookies and other browsing history after each session, you will need to sign in again the next time you open the browser.

It may not be what's causing some people to have the issue, but it should be checked to eliminate it as a possiblity. 

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Same issue here = Outlook 2013 mail synchronization with Comcast server works about half the time. Started yesterday 12/04/13. I have been on phone with Comcast tech support three times, to no avail. Someone is now going to research this and get back to me in an hour.

I am somewhat tech savvy, so already tried a few things that have not worked. Currnet settings, that aren't working, below:

Account Settings

Account Type POP3

Incoming mail server = mail.comcast.net (was pop.comcast.net)

Outgoing mail server (SMTP) = smtp.comcast.net

Advanced Settings

incoming server port = 995 (110 didn't work)

"This server requires an encrypted connection SSL" is checked (unchecking didnt work)

outgoing server port = 465 (587 didn't work)

"Use the following type..." SSL is selected (TLS didnt work)

Outgoing Server Settings

"My outgoing server (SMTP)... " is checked (unchecking didn't work)

I have tried multiple variations of changing one of the settings above and rechecking, to no avail. I also changed my password on comcast.com email account settings.

This is a server issue with Comcast, so they need to come up with a fix. Likely, it will eventually just go away with no explanation. In the meantime, having fun working while having to acknowledge "Enter your user name and password for the following server" error message every 2-5 minutes.

Regular Visitor

DakotaPig, since it's an intermittent problem, I am convinced it's a Comcast problem.  It's a pain in the you-know-what!

New Poster

all the forum topics on the po ups and email repetive sign ins have me irate. Please how can we get Comcast to fix this. They (comcast ) called my bank because there were so many sign in requests and they (bank) froze my account---help!

New Poster

I should have used spell check  on my post--sorry. so mad can't see straightSmiley Sad

Frequent Visitor

Having the same problem in Seattle.  Beginning a few days ago, my Outlook 2013 started prompting me for my email password.  "enter your user name and password for the following server"  Server  pop.comcast.net.

My User name and password are already typed in and I press OK.  Sometimes I get my mail, sometimes it pops back up!   Usually the first time I run Outlook after rebooting I get all of my mail.  Also with my iPhone, I'm now getting a message that says "Cannot get mail"  but then it does.   What gives?   iPhone works fine when using LTE at home and not wifi.

Of course, I called Comcast and they couldn't help me.  Had me check my settings which were correct and hadn't changed.

Any ideas?  

Regular Visitor

Yes, I am having the same problem.  My wife is having the same problem on her Iphone when  she sings in to get email too.  How do you get someone from copmcast to look into this???

Frequent Visitor

Same here.

I'm having similar issues with connecting via Outlook 2013. Everytime it checks email, it pops up the login info and then I get an error.

0x800CCC92: 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings. The server responded: -ERR internal server error'

The server listed is mail.comcast.net. I have 3 accounts and the problem is intermittent with each one. Sometimes it connects and I get mail and sometimes it doesn't. I went in to the Account Settings and repaired every one of them. They test just fine and I receive the test email. But the problem still persists.

EDIT: Looked up error. Says Microsoft Exchange Server error:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309216

Regular Visitor

Sorry if I'm just adding to the traffic, but is everyone else getting a computer-generated email from Comcast basically saying nothing every time a post is added to this thread?  Has anyone actually gotten any useful information re this problem from the Comcast help desk?

Regular Visitor

I have done all the instructions that are repeatedly posted on these threads, I have tried IE, Chrome and now Firefox and I am STILL getting the login screen when I want to go to email, it's a never-ending circle and there is no email at the end of it.

I also did a chat this morning and the support person did something on his end that cleared the problem in Chrome, but as soon as he disconnected the problem happened again.

This is not a browser problem, this is a COMCAST problem.

Regular Visitor

Oh---and I have tried the "lite" version and still get the login screen.

New Poster

my sentiments exactly--took them 1 1/2 years to solve the Xfinilty sign-in pop ups (I'd et 6!)  Now this --and no they keep saying click reply for the response only to find the posts!!  Not worth all they money they charge for the triple playSmiley Sad  Time to leave and get new online service i guess.

Frequent Visitor

Mine seems to have settled - for the moment, anyway.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the advice - my preferences are set properly so no change was required.

My last annoying login pop-up was about six hours ago, so thought Comcast might have fixed the problem... wrong-o - just happened again as I am typing this reply Smiley Sad

By-the-way I am in Seattle.

Frequent Visitor

Same here using MS Outlook 2010. 

But . . .

I've found that just clicking "Cancel" makes the pop-up go away, and my email continues to send and receive without any interruption.

Since there has been no problem with my email service, despite this annoying pop-up, I'm wondering if this might be triggered by a slower than expected response from the pop server.  A kind of knee-jerk message when the Comcast mail server doesn't jump fast enough when Outlook says "frog".

New Poster

Dear God, why is it that the average person on the street knows more about this issue than the Comcast techs?

Twice now I've been told right off that bat that it's an Outlook problem and they don't troubleshoot software issues.  Without even asking me any other questions, like "Is it only your Comcast email address experiencing this problem and none of the 17 other non-Comcast email addresses in Outlook?"

The tech people are COMPLETELY INEPT.  They don't even TRY to delve into the problem.

So sick of this problem.  It's been 2 days now!

Frequent Visitor

mjegi wrote:

Since there has been no problem with my email service, despite this annoying pop-up, I'm wondering if this might be triggered by a slower than expected response from the pop server.  A kind of knee-jerk message when the Comcast mail server doesn't jump fast enough when Outlook says "frog".

You can test your theory by going into your email settings in Outlook and lengthening the time under server timeout in the advanced tab.

However, the errors I received showed that it was a server-side error (see previous post). Makes sense since it was all accounts and all my computers (3).

Frequent Visitor

Update - just got the dreaded triangle with-exclamation-point saying "Unable to receive Mail" by my Inbox Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Silver Problem Solver

Seeing intermittent connection errors using Thunderbird, which give an 'internal server error'. Sometimes hitting RETRY works, but it may take 2-3 tries.

Frequent Visitor

No pop ups for about an hour or so and now, no SMTP at all. I can receive, but can't send anything. Tried other ports, 465 and 587. Won't work.

Regular Visitor

Same issue here for the last two days. Called Tech Support today and right off I advised them that I was also in the Tech Support Field and had already tried "everything" I could think of. Finally got him to admit that the problem (not issue) is on their end. He said that "Engineers" knew about it and were "working" on it. I mentioned that if someone from Comcast would have posted that on here it would have saved them a call. Advised him to have his Supervisor post something. Well there is nothing here yet and I'm still getting the PW Error! Oh well, guess they have job security.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for this update.

Frequent Visitor

Good news to report - after my last clear-the-cache-and-reboot a few minutes ago, the dreaded triangle went away and a load of new mail came pouring in Smiley Happy ...don't know how long this will last however.

New Poster

Having same issue with both our Mac e-mail AND Window's computer (Outlook).  It's been going on for 4-5 days and is becoming a big nuisance.    Comcast, can you PLEASE post an update on this issue????

Regular Visitor

I followed your steps with the same settings two days ago (can't remember where I read to do this) and it seemed I had solved the problem--for about 24 hours. Then the dreaded pop-up message returned, though only one time so far.

Frequent Visitor

Try accessing your email using Internet Explorer: mine is blocked on Chrome (repeated sign in requests), but not on IE.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you.  I can access email via IE, but can't 'reply.'  When I hit 'reply' a page filled with characters appears and no entry in TO/Subject/etc or message body is possible.   My Comcast email account auto-forwards to a gmail account and I can access/reply to emails from within gmail.

Email Expert

Tosh9 wrote:

Thank you.  I can access email via IE, but can't 'reply.'  When I hit 'reply' a page filled with characters appears and no entry in TO/Subject/etc or message body is possible.   My Comcast email account auto-forwards to a gmail account and I can access/reply to emails from within gmail.

Are you using either IE-10 or 11?  If so, do you have Comcast.net set in Compatibility view?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

When I put in email address or user name and then the password, the screen goes back to sign in and this goes on and on.  Customer service was no help.

Email Expert

cooper4545 wrote:

When I put in email address or user name and then the password, the screen goes back to sign in and this goes on and on.  Customer service was no help.

What browser are you using?  Have you tried clearing the cache/browsing history, and then re-starting it in a fresh session?  

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I can't figure out where to post this: Just to say that it's been days and I have not experienced the problem. It seems solved, for me at least (knock on wood!).

Frequent Visitor

Almost afraid to report this, but I haven't had another incident since I last posted here on Thur - knocking LOUDly on wood Smiley Happy

Regular Visitor

The problem does seem to have been resolved - for now.  Comcast never did say what the problem or the solution was.  Based on some of the earlier posts this isn't the first time it has happened so there are no guarantees it won't happen again at any time.

Frequent Visitor

Still no access to comcast email via comcast for me - since Wed Dec 4th.  What's going on, Comcast?  

Email Expert

Tosh9 wrote:

Still no access to comcast email via comcast for me - since Wed Dec 4th.  What's going on, Comcast?  

What have you tried to resolve it?  Here are some things you can try yourself------------

Try clearing out your browser's cache/browsing history. Cookies, TIFs and other small files in there can cause a lot of problems if they become conflicting, broken or expired. When you have done that, then close out the browser and re-start it.

If that doesn't do the trick, then try using a different browser and see if you can duplicate the problem there. If it works OK then you will know the problem probably lies with the first browser. eg: if you are using Internet Explorer, try Chrome or Firefox.

Also, you could try switching from the Full version of Xfinity Connect to the Lite version. Go to Preferences>>>>General, and see which one you're using now. Full is the default. Check the Lite, sign out of your email and then back in again. You should be in the Lite version now.

In addition, as a temporary work-around, you could try using the very basic m.comcast.net/m---just type that into your address bar while signed in to the account, and hit return.

If you are using IE 10 or 11, make sure Compatibility mode is enabled.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats