New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

JunkMail Rejected by domain host, IP address is in an RBL

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

JunkMail Rejected by domain host, IP address is in an RBL

I am getting an error from my domain hosting service (A2A) when I try and send an email using one of my domain email addresses: The server response was: “JunkMail rejected - c-67-190-6-200.hsd1.co.comcast.net ([192.168.1.5])[IP address]:49201 is in an RBL, see:http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=ip address. ipaddress is apparently my IPaddress which I don't really want to share here Smiley Happy

I confirmed that spamhaus is listing  this IP address. I am using a MAC and while by no means an expert, it is not aparent that my systen is sending out spam. My firewall is active. I can send emails using a gmail account, but they may not be so critical in checking spam listings. I reset my cable modem and that seemed to have helep for a while, but the problem is back this morning.

Chuck

Accepted Solution

Re: JunkMail Rejected by domain host, IP address is in an RBL

chuckpwhite wrote:

Thanks again. The Edit SMTP List dialog is where I was changing the port number, and 465 does work, but 587 woudn't, with A2. It may just be them. I might fill out a support ticket with them to see if they support port 587. For now at least, I am not getting a junkmail rejection when I use A2 hosting SMTP port 465 as the outgoing server. Mhy Comcast account on Apple Mail is configured to use portr 587 and it works so I agree, it is not an Apple Mail issue. 

Nothing wrong with port 465 - and in one respect, it's better: port 465 *requires* SSL, so you're assured the credentials and message content are going over an encrypted connection.

We (comcast) support 456/SSL, as well as 587 with or without STARTTLS

View answer in context
Official Employee

chuckpwhite wrote:

I am getting an error from my domain hosting service (A2A) when I try and send an email using one of my domain email addresses: The server response was: “JunkMail rejected - c-67-190-6-200.hsd1.co.comcast.net ([192.168.1.5])[IP address]:49201 is in an RBL, see:http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=ip address. ipaddress is apparently my IPaddress which I don't really want to share here Smiley Happy

I confirmed that spamhaus is listing  this IP address. I am using a MAC and while by no means an expert, it is not aparent that my systen is sending out spam. My firewall is active. I can send emails using a gmail account, but they may not be so critical in checking spam listings. I reset my cable modem and that seemed to have helep for a while, but the problem is back this morning.

Chuck

Are you trying to send mail directly from your home computer to the hosting service, or are you relaying your outbound mail via smtp.comcast.net? (eg: your email program is setup to authenticate and send via the aforementioned host)

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I was using the A2Hosting service's outgoing mail server. It worked sometimes but not always. I found this, I think on the SpamHaus web site:

"Email sent by Comcast subscribers using a mail program such as Outlook Express are required to send the email through Comcast. To insure your mail program is properly configured, please visit http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Email117481."

I couldn't find the faq listed but I have switched to usng the Comcast outgpoing mail server to send email. I have not had a problem using the A2Hosting outgong server on my iPhone or iPad even when connected to my wireless network at home.

BTW, there is no configuration information on Comcast for Mavericks and Apple Mail 8, and it is a little different than Apple Mail 7. It took quite a while for me to get it to work. I kept having a problem getting the incoming mail settings correctly. Comcast's Apple Mail 7 configuraton page (http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/configuring-comcast-email-mac) says the incoming mail server should be mail.comcast.net while the graphic immediately below says imap.comcast.net. 

Official Employee

chuckpwhite wrote:

I was using the A2Hosting service's outgoing mail server. It worked sometimes but not always. I found this, I think on the SpamHaus web site:

"Email sent by Comcast subscribers using a mail program such as Outlook Express are required to send the email through Comcast. To insure your mail program is properly configured, please visit http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Email117481."

I couldn't find the faq listed but I have switched to usng the Comcast outgpoing mail server to send email. I have not had a problem using the A2Hosting outgong server on my iPhone or iPad even when connected to my wireless network at home.

BTW, there is no configuration information on Comcast for Mavericks and Apple Mail 8, and it is a little different than Apple Mail 7. It took quite a while for me to get it to work. I kept having a problem getting the incoming mail settings correctly. Comcast's Apple Mail 7 configuraton page (http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/configuring-comcast-email-mac) says the incoming mail server should be mail.comcast.net while the graphic immediately below says imap.comcast.net. 

If you're using port 587, you absolutely should be able to send via a 3rd party service that isn't comcast, as long as you're authenticating the connection with a username/password.

If it's failing (AND you're using smtp authentication), then the recipient server is incorrectly applying antispam heuristics, and they really, really should fix it.  Have you tried contacting A2Hosting about this?

See also this.  What it says about the XBL, applies to your situation, even if it's not the XBL per se that is the cause.

http://www.spamhaus.org/faq/section/Spamhaus%20XBL#135

"If you use the same hosts for incoming email and smarthosting / outgoing email, then you should always ensure that you exempt authenticated clients from XBL checks, just as you would for dynamic/dialup blacklists."

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks. I could not get port 587 to work. A2 Hosting says to use 465 with authentication, but I can only get it to work without authentication. I hate Apple Mail!

Official Employee

chuckpwhite wrote:

Thanks. I could not get port 587 to work. A2 Hosting says to use 465 with authentication, but I can only get it to work without authentication. I hate Apple Mail!

I can get 465/SSL/auth to work Apple Mail and my comcast.net account.   I know it's not A2, but it does show that Apple Mail _can_ do 465 & auth.

Click the widget next to  Outgoing mail server (SMTP)

Select Edit SMTP Server List

Authentication Password   <--- you may need to play with this

Custom port 465

Enable Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)

Hope this helps,

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks again. The Edit SMTP List dialog is where I was changing the port number, and 465 does work, but 587 woudn't, with A2. It may just be them. I might fill out a support ticket with them to see if they support port 587. For now at least, I am not getting a junkmail rejection when I use A2 hosting SMTP port 465 as the outgoing server. Mhy Comcast account on Apple Mail is configured to use portr 587 and it works so I agree, it is not an Apple Mail issue. 

Official Employee

chuckpwhite wrote:

Nothing wrong with port 465 - and in one respect, it's better: port 465 *requires* SSL, so you're assured the credentials and message content are going over an encrypted connection.

We (comcast) support 456/SSL, as well as 587 with or without STARTTLS

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks. I guess I thought you had said I should be using 587 in order to avoid triggering Spamhaus. Thanks for your help.