Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Frequent Visitor

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

I am running Windows Vista Home and am using IE 9 (although have same problem with Firefox). For the past few weeks I can not open any webpages. Everytime I try I receive the message "IE cannot display the webpage".

I know that I am connected to the internet as I can get email through Outlook play online games that don't use IE, and I can connect other computers to the internet through my home network.

The computer that is having the problem is my main computer and it had connected to the internet previously without problems.

I have tried to diagnose the problem with Windows, I have reset renewed restarted everything. I have chatted with Comcast I have called Comcast I have searched all over the internet for solutions, but still have same problem. I upgraded to IE9 after the problem started thinking that I needed the most recent browser version.

I have tried opening IE with no add-ons. I have turned the whole system off and walked away for several days giving both it and me a break from this frustration, but alas that did not work either.

So as a last ditch effort I am turning to the Comcast Forums. I have found help here before and have my fingers crossed that I may find it again.

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.

Lisa

Cable Expert

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

From IE go to Internet Options->Connections->LAN settings.  Make sure "use automatic configuration script" and "use proxy server" are unchecked.

Make sure your computer is free of viruses and malware.

Temporarily disable firewall or security software to see if they are blocking your applications.

Disable all unnecessary startup  applications.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

You say to make sure auto config script and proxy server boxes are unchecked (they are). What about the Automatically Detect Settings button?

Cable Expert

AllWally wrote:

You say to make sure auto config script and proxy server boxes are unchecked (they are). What about the Automatically Detect Settings button?

Doesn't matter if it is checked or not.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon