Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Incoming mail from ancestry.com blocked

New Poster

Incoming mail from ancestry.com blocked

I want to receive legitimate incoming emails from ancestry.com but Comcast is blocking them. Ancestry.com is suggesting I switch to another (Non-comcast) email account, but I really want to stick with comcast. How can I unblock ancestry.com? It's NOT spam.

Email Expert

Re: Incoming mail from ancestry.com blocked

Call Comcast security, they can help with any blocks--------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

nstifel wrote:

I want to receive legitimate incoming emails from ancestry.com but Comcast is blocking them. Ancestry.com is suggesting I switch to another (Non-comcast) email account, but I really want to stick with comcast. How can I unblock ancestry.com? It's NOT spam.

Is Comcast actually blocking your e-mail from Ancestry.com or is the e-mail actually just going into your Spam folder instead? If it's just going to your Spam folder, then what you can try doing also is adding the sender's e-mail address as a contact in your address book. That is usually enough to tell the Spam filters that any incoming e-mails from that e-mail address aren't spam. I know that when you sign up to recieve newsletters from certain advertisers, they usally always tell you to add their e-mail address to your address book also, so that their e-mails aren't mislabled as spam by the mail server.

I am not paid by Xfinity nor am I an official Xfinity Forum expert. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those in that program & I hope to one day join them. I am a paying customer just like U. Did I happen to answer your question or solve your issue? If so, then please consider giving me Kudos and / or marking my posting as an "Accepted Solution" so that the other contributors can go on to the next issue. Giving me Kudos and / or marking my postings as an "Accepted Solution" is the best way U can thank us. God bless.
Email Expert

Comcast email does not scan your address book to see if a contact is in it.  That may work with some other email providers or programs, but not Comcast.  If legitimate emails are being routed to the Spam folder, the best thing to do is start marking them as "Not Spam" in order to train the filters.  It can take a while for it to work though.  Just marking it once or twice won't do it.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Latoque wrote:

Comcast email does not scan your address book to see if a contact is in it.  That may work with some other email providers or programs, but not Comcast.  If legitimate emails are being routed to the Spam folder, the best thing to do is start marking them as "Not Spam" in order to train the filters.  It can take a while for it to work though.  Just marking it once or twice won't do it.

Found these articles in the Help And Support section

What about turning off spam filtering in the Account Control Panel then?

Or to Undo a message marked as Spam then? Go to this article, and scrow down to the bottom.

That's assuming that the questioner is using the Xfinity Connect Web Mail platform and not a 3rd party program like Outlook Express, Windows Mail, or MS Outlook.

I am not paid by Xfinity nor am I an official Xfinity Forum expert. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those in that program & I hope to one day join them. I am a paying customer just like U. Did I happen to answer your question or solve your issue? If so, then please consider giving me Kudos and / or marking my posting as an "Accepted Solution" so that the other contributors can go on to the next issue. Giving me Kudos and / or marking my postings as an "Accepted Solution" is the best way U can thank us. God bless.
Email Expert

I wouldn't advise turning off the Spam filtering.  That's an invitation to a rash of junk in your Inbox.  Marking messages as not spam is the best way to get legitimate messages where they are supposed to go.  All email programs are subject to occasionally sending emails to the wrong folder.  No spam filtering method is perfect.  It happens.  I've had it happen a couple of times in Comcast, but my Yahoo account is notorious for the same thing.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Latoque wrote:

I wouldn't advise turning off the Spam filtering.  That's an invitation to a rash of junk in your Inbox.  Marking messages as not spam is the best way to get legitimate messages where they are supposed to go.  All email programs are subject to occasionally sending emails to the wrong folder.  No spam filtering method is perfect.  It happens.  I've had it happen a couple of times in Comcast, but my Yahoo account is notorious for the same thing.

I see what you're saying. As to what you posted above about the questoner having to call the security department, I found this web site that explains all that. I can't believe that they're doing this to subscribers. While I do believe in security, the last time I checked ancestry.com wasn't exactly a rogue domain. I remember AOL used to also do this to subscribers back in the days of dial up of the 1990's along with inserting footers in e-mails. That was until someone sued them in federal court and it became a federal class action lawsuit and AOL had to pay out a huge chuck of change as a result, in addition to changing both their spam policies and removing footers entirely, so Comcast Xfinity is treading on thin line if you ask me. Now, I know why I only use my comcast dot net account for recieving messages from this forum and from our apartment managemet, since they're the ones who forced us and everyone else who lives in our complex to switch to Comcast in the first place. Everything else, I have sent to my web site's mail hosting service or to my accounts on AT&T. What you also descibe about Yahoo was one reason why I got rid of my yahoo dot com mail account many years ago and moved it to att dot net after att started allowing non-subscribers to sign up for free mail accounts. The other reason was because Yahoo dot com accounts have a bad tendenacy of getting hacked quite often. Plus using att dot net accounts is just like using Yahoo's web mail interface, so you really don't loose anything. You just use the full e-mail address as the Yahoo ID and not just the username. But the big difference is AT&T's people manages the password functions on the account and not Yahoo's, so you're less prone to getting your account hacked.

Official Employee

nstifel wrote:

Hi,

I see two messages from ancestry.com to your address coming in fine to your email address on March 23 - did they not appear in your inbox at all?  Are those the missing messages?

ComcastDaveL 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks for the reply. I added notifications@ancestry.com to my contacts 3 or 4 days ago, and now the emails are coming through.

Regular Contributor

nstifel wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I added notifications@ancestry.com to my contacts 3 or 4 days ago, and now the emails are coming through.

Your welcome. I thought Comcast was now scanning your online address book to make sure that the sender is genuine. That goes for other e-mails that you want to recieve also that could be considered spam. I'm glad that you're now getting your e-mails and I'm glad to have assisted you in solving this problem. God bless and have a good one.