Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Import contacts web page is broken

Regular Visitor

Import contacts web page is broken

Trying to import a contac file into Comcast. The file is not recognized. I tried a VCF and a CSV file. Neither file was recognized.

I exported a VCF file from Comcast and tried to import that file. It was not recognized as a valid file.

YOUR WEBSITE IS BROKEN!

Email Expert

Re: Import contacts web page is broken

When you tried to import the .csv file, did you get an error message?  If so exactly what did it say? (don't post any email addresses in here)

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I think this is the same problem I am having. I exported my Mac Contacts to a file, contacts.vcf, and when I try to import it to Comcast I am told, "Please select a valid file."

I wonder if the problem might be that Comcast has not caught up with something in OS X 10.10.1 (Yosemite).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Email Expert

OK I conducted an experiment.  I'm on an iMac running Yosemite.  I have a secondary Comcast account I use for testing, that only had a few contacts in the address book.  So I opened my Gmail account Contacts, and exported a group of 8 contacts to my desktop as a .vcf file.  I also got the "Select a valid File typ" thingy.  I tried the same group again as a .csv file, and got the same thing.

However,  I went back and selected the Gmail icon out of all the others, and successfully loaded the entire address book from my Gmail account to the Comcast account without a hitch.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thank you! That worked for me, too, when I tried it after getting my Apple and Google addresses synched.. So it does seem that there is a problem of some sort with importing from Apple Contacts, but there is an easy work-around.

Email Expert

When I go through the process of Importing, I am given the choice of clicking on the Mac address book as one of the choices.  Did you see the same icon?  The example I quoted above was for the Gmail icon.  When you first tried to Import the addresses, did you click on the Mac address book icon, or just the one that said "Import .csv"?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

The bottom line is that the website does not import a CSV or a VCF because there is a bug in the program.

Using the Google selection works if one is trying to import via Google.

However, for other reasons one may want to import a VCF or CSV file from some other source such as MS mail, Windows Live mail, or even Mac Mail. All these applications can produce vcf's and a csv to copy contacts.

It appears that Comcast offers the ability to import that type of file but goes to the error state when one tries to import it.

Frequent Visitor

I, too am trying to import a vCard file (<name>.vcf) that I first exported from a PC based comcast email system (created by comcast), but get this error message when I select the file name:    Please specify a valid file.

My purpose is to be able to import a long list of names from a club so I don't have to type in all the names myself.  Help would be appreciated!  Thx!

Official Employee

Hello atcapecod,

I've sent you a private message. Kindly check it so that we can assist you with your concern.

Regards,

Queen

Comcast Silicon Valley

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Can you help br1000, with the similar problem?   It seems weird that another friend, who also uses comcast for their mail, cannot share a group mail list with me, on my comcast mail.  Are there other options that can work?  I can't see creating a gmail account so I can pull the comcast email generated vcard file into that then pull the gmail account info into my comcast email account.  That seems terrible odd.  Help!  :-)

Email Expert

Try sending an email to helpme@sv.comcast.com . In the body of the message describe the problem, and make sure you include the email address with the issue.

The address book is actually supplied by a company called Plaxo. They should be able to get you sorted out.  You might want to copy and paste the link for this thread into the email too.  It might take them 24 hours or so to respond.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Is there a general solution for this?  It's now November 2015 and this is still a problem.

Please respond with some sort of workaround or post a fix.

Even when I export the current addresses from the website, and then turn around and import that file right back in, it tells me it's not a valid file.

Email Expert

sgelling wrote:

Is there a general solution for this?  It's now November 2015 and this is still a problem.

Please respond with some sort of workaround or post a fix.

Even when I export the current addresses from the website, and then turn around and import that file right back in, it tells me it's not a valid file.

In this case, try going directly to the Plaxo website and do the Import from there-----------------

https://www.plaxo.com/auth?secure=1

Use your Comcast sign-in credentials just like you were signing into Comcast.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thanks you latoque,

This Plaxo solution worked for me in Jan 2016.  Many thanks for your expertise