Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

IMAP vs POP3 Server

New Poster

IMAP vs POP3 Server

Does anybody know how to get back to the POP3 server.  Comcast has switched ONE of our accounts to IMAP and TOTALLY screwed up our email.  They are in denial that they can do anything about it, and even blamed it in my iphone6 for the change.  They have lost several years of critical email folders from my email account, and don't really seemed concerned about it.  They keep giving my me circular argumants that it isn't their server.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: IMAP vs POP3 Server

The iPhone will auto detect comcast email as  IMAP and set it to that.   If you updated the iOS on it, it would probably have made those changes too.

You can fake it out and set up a POP account on the iPhone.

Set up a new email account..  Give it a mispelled email address and it will not be able to detect server settings....You will then have to set it up manually.  

Use the Xfinity setting for POP mail and your iPhone will have POP instead of IMAP.

New Poster

Thank you, but how do i get the email account on Comcast back to a POP server.  That is the one that is messed up.  As a result, Comcast has lost several years of saved emails which were is folders.

Gold Problem Solver

Is this the ExfinityConnect Username/password, or is it your other devices?  Go into the devices and change them back to the Pop settings. 

POP 995 with SSL om

SMTP with SSL On

This server requires Authentication checked.

Now go to your Xfinity Connect Inbox and click on Preferences.  Now click on the Email icon.  You now see your email settings.

Switch them all back to POP.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Poster

It has NOTHING to do with my phone.  My phone will only connect to whatever server my email is on.  It needs to be changed at Comcast, but they seem to be totally oblivious to my problem, or don't care(which is my inclination).

The server needs to be changed within Comcast!

Bronze Problem Solver

Comcast offers both POP and IMAP servers for use.   The problem is on your phone.  The iPhone once you put in the email address is auto configuring the email account and selecting IMAP.  You are using the IMAP server and settings.

There is no way however many times that you call that Comcast will get rid of the IMAP server.  If you want POP you will have to configure the iPhone for POP.  If you don't do it yourself it will never happen.  

You will find the pop server settings for xfinity here.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Read this How to configure iOS devices to POP/IMAP

http://hosting.intermedia.net/support/kb/?id=1377

And read this how to change from one to the other when autodetected

How to change from IMAP to POP.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8371409_change-account-imap-pop-iphone.html

New Poster

NO, NO, NO, NO.....It has nothing to do with the iphone.  If I change the configuration on the iphone to the "mail.comcast.net", it will not verify that it can connect to the POP server.  I cannot emphasise enough that it is not the iphone causing the problem!!

Frequent Visitor

I had the same problem.  This solved it:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Specifically, I left it as imap and changed the outgoing mail server port to 587.  All my prior sent messages were restored.