New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

IMAP timeout and more

Frequent Visitor

IMAP timeout and more

Hi all,

I have recently started getting countless "Your IMAP server closed the connection" error messages in Outlook 2010.  Increasing the timeout in settings didn't help.  Sometimes my email quits refreshing at all until I close Outlook and re-open it.  It used to work seamlessly.

Also, my iPhone says it sometimes say the Comcast password is wrong (even though it isn't and it eventually downloads the emails)?

From the error message:  

resmail-po-136v.sys.comcast.net Zimbra IMAP4rev1 server closing connection; service busy
Protocol: IMAP
Server: imap.comcast.net
Port: 993
Error Code: 0x800CCCDD

Have others experience these or found solutions?  

Thanks!

Tags (3)
Frequent Visitor

Re: IMAP timeout and more

I called Comcast support and they tried to say it was Microsoft's fault (which wouldn't explain the iPhone issue, of course).  I politely asked to escalate the issue and he hung up on me.  Gotta love Comcast!  

New Poster

We are having the exact same experience.  The IMAP server is timing out all the time and the error message we get is that the server is too busy.  It sure looks like Comcast has a serious capacity issue.  We are having the same exact iPhone experiences too. passwords right and it says they are wrong.  We have tried everything.  This is not a coincidence.  A lot of people are complaining and Comcast does nothing.  We escalated three levels in tech. support and were promised a call back in 24 hours.  No surprise,  no one called.  They even emailed us that someone would call and we have the record.  It's so bad, it's insulting.  It just goes to show that Comcast is a customer service nightmare. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, that is interesting.  I called back again today and they acted as if they'd never heard of it.  They promised to call me.  Not holding my breath.  

Frequent Visitor

Having the same issue for the last few weeks. Never had a problem before. 

homerj11 wrote:

Hi all,

I have recently started getting countless "Your IMAP server closed the connection" error messages in Outlook 2010.  Increasing the timeout in settings didn't help.  Sometimes my email quits refreshing at all until I close Outlook and re-open it.  It used to work seamlessly.

Also, my iPhone says it sometimes say the Comcast password is wrong (even though it isn't and it eventually downloads the emails)?

From the error message:  

resmail-po-136v.sys.comcast.net Zimbra IMAP4rev1 server closing connection; service busy
Protocol: IMAP
Server: imap.comcast.net
Port: 993
Error Code: 0x800CCCDD

Have others experience these or found solutions?  

Thanks!

Comcast does not know why this is happening. Have escalated to 2nd level support, no one seems to have and answer. Tried calling Microsoft...was hung up on??? Anyone have an idea where to start on this?

Frequent Visitor

Hi -- It is definitely not a Microsoft issue, because I have issues on my iPhone AND on my same computer with Mozilla Thunderbird.  It is a Comcast issue.  

Frequent Visitor

Thanks,

Have found IMAP  msg.: "resmail-po-136v.sys.comcast.net Zimbra IMAP4rev1 server closing connection; service busy".

Started looking at Zimbra issues for the 0x800CCCDD errors. They have a patch, but will talk to Comcast first.? 

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I think that's the error I get as well.

Frequent Visitor

Will be calling Comcast again tomorrow morning (best time for 2nd or 3rd level is between 10-11am according to them). Luck needed!

Frequent Visitor

Hopefully Comcast will fix that, but I finally punted and found a workaround.  I fwd'd my Comcast email to my Startlogic account (I used to do the reverse) and made the Startlogic my primary iPhone and Outlook account.  That seems to work.  Sad that I had to do all that!

Official Employee

Thanks to everyone for raising the alarm.  Indeed we do have an issue on a handful of servers.  The fix will be going in tonight.  Until then, you will see the errors, but it will be corrected by tomorrow morning.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Looks like Comcast banned my user name from the forum for my previous posts.  I am it sure why, but guess they do not like negative feedback.  Some mental giant called me at 8:30 PM last night and said my case had been escalated and that someone would be contacting me tomorrow.  They just wanted to let me know that they, "cared about my problem and would work on it, when a representative called me tomorrow, because now it is in the executive office."  I am not holding my breath; they always say the same thing and absolutely never call.   Here it is nearly 11 Am and still no call, some executive attention.  I love the calls from Comcast that tell me they care, they make me feel so much better when I can't get my email.

As an IT professional, I find it pathetic that Comcast cannot implement the IMAP protocol error free on its mail servers.  It's done every day by so many.  It's easy to reach a simpleton, who knows how to check a script of trouble shooting settings, but beyond that it is impossible to reach anyone who can actually get things done.  The Peter Principle is functioning extremely well at Comcast.  Xfinity, what does that mean anyways?  X and infinity?  It think it is x_x is for how you feel after you get off the phone with Comcast and infinity means it's forever. 

Here's another good one, they say I am supposed to use port 465 on smtp outbound with SSL, but it does not work.  It fails, so I changed it to 587 TLS and I can send mail.  The guy on the phone was flabbergasted, and said "that shouldn't work." 465 will not work at all!  It's the only way I can send and rec mail currently, but it's full of problems.  Funny thing is they have these setting plastered all over their website. Peter Principle.

Comcast has had capacity issues on servers in the past, but never admits wrongdoing.  I caught them packet shaping VOIP services a few years back.  I had deductive proof using packet sniffers during calls.  They swore they didn't do that, but when senior managers in my area actually saw the evidence, they fessed up.  It's hard to argue with real solid evidence when it is presented in a scientific method.  I was so easy to prove, three minutes into calls and packet contention would surface, like a throttle governor on a go cart at an amusement park.   They did it to Netflix too.  It was so bad that Netflix caved and cut a deal.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/02/23/comcasts-deal-with-netflix-makes-networ...

Hey Comcast, have a nice day!  I care about you too! NOT

Official Employee

Jackpreguntas2,

You listed listed a number of issues in the past, but didn't not mention if any of them are still impacting you.  If so, please let me know and I'll be happy to assist.

Thanks.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

Censorship of dissatified customers, way to go Comcast!

New Poster

Look up the Peter Principle and then ask yourself if your own question was immature and silly.  Reading comprehension much?

New Poster

The fact that Comcast tech support is a perfect example of the Peter Priciple is absolutely relevant to this discussion and not off topic.  The fact that comcast asks silly questions based on lack of reading comprehension skills and then deletes posts pointing out frustration with is own incompetence proves the point.  Comcast employee just doesn't like logic and deletes to save face.

Have a nice day!

Frequent Visitor

According to the forum "Comcast.Jordan" has a solution! Worked on this most of the day with the IMAP guys. Concluded that it's an intermittent failure on some servers...? Hopefully the fix will work!  

Frequent Visitor

I'm still having that issue, but it's the Mac mail client being unable to reach port 995 or 587 or 463, yet Mail tells me it's connected to the internet.  Webmail still works.

INITIATING CONNECTION Jan 16 13:20:47.016 host:smtp.comcast.net -- port:587 -- socket:0x0 -- thread:0x618000a65400

INITIATING CONNECTION Jan 16 13:20:47.016 host:smtp.comcast.net -- port:995 -- socket:0x0 -- thread:0x608000e693c0

I did nnothing to the account info, and it was working fine until about 3pm 1/15 PST.

The server “smtp.comcast.net” cannot be contacted on port 465.  <--- amog others.

Help!

Frequent Visitor

Possibly redirect this message to 'Comcast.Jordan'?? I've logged on for the first time since the 'fix' and haven't seen any issues today.  

Frequent Visitor

Thank You 'Comcast.Jordan'!  TWA!!!

After 15 days of suffering offline and disconnected servers, your fix seems to have worked!!

Question: Since this incident was all over the web, why didn't anyone at the Comcast groups (made at least a dozen calls to everyone who would be in the loop to help-Plaxo, Support.com, Comcast 2nd level support). No one knew anything about the error. They could neither explain nor pinpoint the problem?  Everyone seemed to dump the error back to the end user? All of the above mentioned groups ran extensive diagnostics with no conclusion...Support.com even refuned my money since they couldn't locate the source of the error?

I'll figure you may be in development or support? Shouldn't there be a way to disseminate this fix information to the end user in a more timely fashion? 

Thanks again for your help.

Frequent Visitor

I'm ashamed to admit it, but my issues were fixed this afternoon with a soft reboot of the laptop.  BAM, suddenly email was working again... although that didn't work last night.  Thanks for fixing the problem!

Frequent Visitor

Good news! 

I've not seen any problems since the 16th. Called Comcast tech. group to ask why we aren't informed of these fixes in a more timely manner. The tech. told me they had just found the problem on the 15th!  Owell, all's well that ends well???

Regular Contributor

The fix didn't work. I'm seeing timeout messages at home, latest one was last night. Also issues with timeouts via the mobile network (Verizon) as well.
Frequent Visitor

Sent a msg. to 'Comcast.Jordan'. Hope this helps. Have been having the same problem for the last two weeks.

New Poster

This is still a problem.  I am trying to configure a client's email client (Apple Mail on Yosemite) and the setup completes but then no messages come down.  I then tried setting up the exact same account on a different Mac (also Yosemite, but this time using Thunderbird), and again, it completed the configuration, but then timed out when trying to download the Inbox.

You mentioned a fix in a previous post, but it appears that it hasn't worked.

Frequent Visitor

Suggestion: Send this to Brad Hein (works with Jordan). He'll take the information and look for a fix.  comcastbrad@comcast.net

Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem with Apple Mail. The only way I could fix it was to force all of my accounts to set up as POP accounts. Otherwise, I get timeout errors, things sometimes do not get sent, and Mail takes forever to quit when I close it.

New Poster

Same trouble here with Apple Mail v8 on Mac OS 10.10.3  It just stopped working last week, no settings changed.  My iPhone with the same settings still sends and receives mail just fine though.  Help!!!

Frequent Visitor

Here's an error that I'm getting, but don't know why or how to fix it.

8/2/15 1:02:01.606 PM Mail[477]: Message delivery was successful, but there was an error appending the message to the Sent mailbox. Error: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=60 "The connection to the server “imap.comcast.net” on port 993 timed out." UserInfo=0x600001869e00 {NSHelpAnchor=string:isp set up network send problem connection, NSLocalizedDescription=The connection to the server “imap.comcast.net” on port 993 timed out.}

Regular Contributor

The Sylpheed e-mail program (available for Windows, Mac and Linux) has a nice option to view the network log. When it had trouble connecting to imap.comcast.net, I immediately opened up the Network Log and it indicated the connections were indeed timing out to the IMAP server.

Because this occurs via cable and through a cellular carrier's mobile network, the problem clearly is on Comcast's end and it has yet to be resolved.

Frequent Visitor

I was just informed this is the settings but must have th...

I was just informed this is the settings but must have the SSL ON all so if port 993 will not work see if 143 will Out port is 587 SSL on good for Windows 10 allso