New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

IMAP back to POP

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

IMAP back to POP

A while ago I changed one of the userids on my account to IMAP.  The other two are still POP.  I want to go back to POP on all three.  Any ideas on how to do this (or even if it's possible)?  So far I have gotten no real help from Comcast support in doing this, despite a long chat session a few days ago and a phone session earlier today.

Accepted Solution

Re: IMAP back to POP

Use Port 995 for Pop ( incoming) with SSL. On
Use Port 465 for SMTP with SSL on
Check THIS SERVER REQUIRES AUTHENTICATION
Do NOT check SPA ( secure password authentication)

CC
View answer in context
Bronze Problem Solver

thekelsos wrote:

A while ago I changed one of the userids on my account to IMAP.  The other two are still POP.  I want to go back to POP on all three.  Any ideas on how to do this (or even if it's possible)? 

Enabling IMAP doesn't disable POP, so just stop using IMAP and set up your email client for POP access to that account.

Regular Visitor

I've tried that.  It involves several steps, choosing ports, etc.  So far it hasn't worked.  I keep getting error messages when trying to sign on to the pop3.  

Bronze Problem Solver

thekelsos wrote:

I've tried that.  It involves several steps, choosing ports, etc.  So far it hasn't worked.  I keep getting error messages when trying to sign on to the pop3.  

What's the exact, complete error message you're getting (redacting the username parts of any email addresses)?

Regular Visitor

Steve,

The message is:

Send test e-mail message: Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.

The encryption type I specified, on instructions from the Comcast chat person, is SSL.

Gold Problem Solver

Use Port 995 for Pop ( incoming) with SSL. On
Use Port 465 for SMTP with SSL on
Check THIS SERVER REQUIRES AUTHENTICATION
Do NOT check SPA ( secure password authentication)

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Visitor

Yes, that worked.  The only difference from what the Comcast person said to do was port 465.  They said 587.  Thanks very much!

Gold Problem Solver

You can use Port 587, but if you do, you do not enable This server requires Authentication.

Better to use the Ports you now have set up.

See the screenshot below.

CC

ports available (2).jpg

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Poster

Although I made the changes for incoming and outgoing mail server as well as the port settings, it still indicates that I have an IMAP account and the test messages failed. Please advise.

New Poster

I would also like to go fom IMAP back to POP.  Windows 8.1, using Outlook 2013.  Worried about losing emails in the process. Can I add another account with same username, set it up for POP, then delete the IMAP account? 

New Poster

I use Outlook 2013 to access my Comcast email. (On my phone I use Xfinity Connect.) My operating system is Windows 7, browser IE 11. I want to change from IMAP to POP, but Outlook doesn't offer me an option - IMAP shows as the default and it's "light gray" - i.e. i cannot change that field. I saw the recommended port numbers but none of that will do me any good if I can't change IMAP to POP in the "Account Type" field. What am I missing?

Email Expert

Try this trick that works in Mac Mail, maybe it will work in Outlook-----------when you are at the page where it asks you to type in the password, deliberatley misspell it by one character and keep going.  In Mac Mail it tries to validate the account, and when it can't it comes back and tells you to configure the account manually, at which point you can choose POP if you want and finish up.  I don't have Outlook so I've never tried it, but it's worth a shot.  The thing is that now most email clients detect Comcast accounts as IMAP compliant, and they try to configure it that way by default.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon