Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

IMAP Sync?

Regular Contributor

IMAP Sync?

I have been using Thunderbird to access my Comcast POP mail for many years, and currently have about 2GB of saved emails across two accounts.  I am thinking of converting from POP to IMAP.  I have read things that say that if I convert to IMAP, my local and remote mail will be synced.  Does this mean that Comcast will upload my old emails and folders to their servers, so that they are available online?

Beyond that, what are the chances that this works as advertised?

Tags (3)
Email Expert

Re: IMAP Sync?

Go ahead and re-create one of the accounts using IMAP.  It won't hurt the POP3 version.  Then once you're satisfied all is well, you can delete the POP version if you like.  With IMAP, everything is synced across any device you have the same account enabled on as long as it's set up with IMAP there too.  So yes, any local folders you have in the account should show up everywhere.  Anything you do to an email in one place will be reflected everywhere else.  So if you delete a message on one device, it deletes it from all of them.  If you mark email as read on one---it will show as read on all of them and so on.  IMAP is now recommended by Comcast as the preferred protocol.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon