Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How to stop spoofing

Visitor

How to stop spoofing

For the past two months I have had a problem witj spoofing.  My contacts are getting junk emails that appear to be from me.  I have changed my password several times along with my security questions.  I have Webroot security software installed that does not find anything.  The sent email do not show up in my sent folder.  Is there anything I can do short of creating a new email account to stop this?

Email Expert

Re: How to stop spoofing

Unfortunately-----no.  Usually a spammer will use an address for a couple of weeks or so and then move on to annoy someone else.  Spoofing is very easy to do, and there is no way to prevent it.  If it continues then the only remedy I can suggest is changing your email address.  I know that might cause a lot of inconvenience in the short term, but at least you could kill the old address and maybe that would stop your friends from getting the junk mail.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

There's not a darn thing comcast will do. One of their "security experts" suggested my wifi was compromised - it's clear they don't understand what's happening.  So on my 3rd or 4th incident, I got a rep who understand exactly what I was experiencing and suggested I hire a hacker to counterstrike the spoofer.  I've had the same email address for 20 years and they said I need to change it - that's my only option.  I'm several months into being a spoofing victim and think it's time to change emails...and providers.

Email Expert

Changing email providers is no guarantee of anything.  Any of them can be, and are, spoofed.  You should find this interesting-----------------

https://askleo.com/from_spoofing_how_spammers_send_email_that_looks_like_it_came_from_you/?awt_l=E37...

That article references a Yahoo account, but it's the same with any of them.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon