Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How to set length of time to keep emails

New Poster

How to set length of time to keep emails

I cannot find a setting for how long to keep emails.

I see your system deletes them after a while, both in folders and in trash.

I need to keep some longer than your system thinks

Thank you

Email Expert

Re: How to set length of time to keep emails

If you are still on the old email format, from the Inbox page go to Preferences>>>>>>Email>>>>>Email Deletion Schedule. If you are on the new format, you can't change the time period on any folders.  They should keep messages indefinitely until you delete them.  Spam is stored for 7 days or 2,000 messages, whichever comes first.  Trash is stored for 14 days or 5,000 messages, whichever comes first.  They cannot be changed.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Latoque wrote:

If you are still on the old email format, from the Inbox page go to Preferences>>>>>>Email>>>>>Email Deletion Schedule. If you are on the new format, you can't change the time period on any folders.  They should keep messages indefinitely until you delete them.  Spam is stored for 7 days or 2,000 messages, whichever comes first.  Trash is stored for 14 days or 5,000 messages, whichever comes first.  They cannot be changed.

Could this have changed today? I ask because I noticed today that my trash folder has decreased several times today (I typically delete it on my own app every week and a half or so), and went to investigate. It only has emails for the last 7 days (and in the past couple of hours app 10 emails from 7 days ago have disappeared). 

New Poster

If the old system was getting rid of my emails-most recently it seems I wasn't to change that-can I go get the email messages they have archived?  When I switched from using a desktop app (outlook) to just comcast I thought I had it set to keep them but that is not what happened.

Email Expert

DHlofty wrote:

If the old system was getting rid of my emails-most recently it seems I wasn't to change that-can I go get the email messages they have archived?  When I switched from using a desktop app (outlook) to just comcast I thought I had it set to keep them but that is not what happened.

If you had the account set up in Outlook and it was still in the old format, the settings in Outlook would override those you may have had in the webmail interface.  I'm not 100% sure yet, but it looks like in the new format the desktop client is no longer the controlling factor for message retention, and the default Comcast settings now prevail.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon