Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How to retrieve lost inbox email that disappeared its own?

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

How to retrieve lost inbox email that disappeared its own?

How do I retrieve lost email I kept in Inbox that disappeared on its own recently? I use xfinity directly, no Outlook etc. Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Re: How to retrieve lost inbox email that disappeared its own?

Hi Johnhamlin,

Do you happen to have a rough time range when these emails were deleted?  Also, were they in a specific folder or only in your Inbox?  Please let me know and I can request a backup recovery as long as the emails have recently been deleted.

Thanks,

View answer in context
Gold Problem Solver

johnhamlin wrote:

How do I retrieve lost email I kept in Inbox that disappeared on its own recently? I use xfinity directly, no Outlook etc. Thank you.

Have you checked your Email Deletion Schedule to see how many days it is set up to automatically delete email after a certain number of days?

Open XfinityConnect

Click on Preferences in the Preview window

Click on the Email icon

You know see all of your email preferences

Scroll down to the EMAIL DELETION SCHEDULE and open it.  Look and see how many days  is set for Read and Unread email in your Inbox Folder.

While there, make any changes you want to make to each of the Folders listed.

Email ddeletion Schedule.JPG

Post back.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

I have always had my Inbox (Read) deletion preference set to "Never." I have lost important read emails from one month ago. I didn't delete these emails. How may I get them back?

Gold Problem Solver

If they were very recent emails, if you call 1-800 comcast, they might be able to retrieve them.  But if they are older emails, maybe not.

I have already contacted the Xfinity Team and referred them to your post for you.

Carole

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Frequent Visitor

Thank You!

Official Employee

Hi Johnhamlin,

Do you happen to have a rough time range when these emails were deleted?  Also, were they in a specific folder or only in your Inbox?  Please let me know and I can request a backup recovery as long as the emails have recently been deleted.

Thanks,

Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

ComcastKen,

"Emily Memories" - (or something close) is what I believe is the subject of the email I am missing.

I may be missing other emails that I cant remember, but this one stands out because I was compiling stories about my daughter whjo passed away so that i wouldn fopret the little things as we get older. I know I had replied t myself many times adding story after story.

I know I replied to myself with this email morer than several times this year. Maybe since February. So that and any other emails may have been lost aropund that same time. 

Thank

Frequent Visitor

ComcastKen,

"Emily Memories" - (or something close) is what I believe is the subject of the email I am missing.

I may be missing other emails that I cant remember, but this one stands out because I was compiling stories about my daughter whjo passed away so that i wouldn fopret the little things as we get older. I know I had replied t myself many times adding story after story.

I know I replied to myself with this email morer than several times this year. Maybe since February. So that and any other emails may have been lost aropund that same time. 

Thank

Frequent Visitor

My topic seems to have been dropped and I really need help, please.

Gold Problem Solver

I notified ComcastBrian of your latest post. 

CC

Frequent Visitor

Thank you. It's notes on my daughter who passed away in an email called "Emily memories," I think.

Gold Problem Solver

John,

I am so very sorry for your lose, and hope that Brian can help you!

Take care,

CC

Problem Solver

@johnhamlin, I have emailed the concerned Support team and will keep you posted with an update.

Thank you,

Brian

Comcast Silicon Valley

Regular Contributor

As per update from L2 team, Email Restore has completed successfully. please let us know if the issue is resolved, so that we can work towards the closure of the ticket.

Thank you,
Sharath
Comcast Silicon Valley
New Poster

I can't get emails that are dated older than May 9th.

Need document for a project.

Not great timing for an email problem.

Frequent Visitor

I see many emails recovered to my account. I dont see the only email I was really concerned about finding. I believe it was called: emily memories. 

I was collecting memories of my daughter who passed away. I would reply to that same email over and over as I remember more stories and details I dont want to forget as I get older.  I believe I started this email thread in January and added to it many times by hitting 'reply' to myself. With so many transactions between January and April on that same thread, I am surprised it hasn't been found.

Is it possible to search for 'Emily Memories?"

Thanks you, John
Gold Problem Solver

I sent a Private Message to ComcastShareth about this.

CC

Regular Contributor

Please accept our condolences.. I've asked our L2 team to further investigate and we will get back to you shortly.. I will email you further updates, so that we can take this offline.

Thank you,
Sharath
Comcast Silicon Valley
Official Employee

Hello JohnHamlin,

I got a response from the Email team. Unfortunately, they can only restore emails back 13 day as that is the oldest they hold emails.  Anything deleted older than that cannot be restored.  I apologize about that as it is the policy they have in place.

Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you. 2 thoughts:

1 - I dont think I deleted this email called 'emily memories'

2 - If i did delete it, please ask them to go back 13 days from April 24th when I first started this claim (see above). 

That seems only fair. Thanks again.

New Poster

Any updates on fixing the inbox problem eg emails being deleted after a week?

New Poster

My email settings are as suggested and I have been losing emails from my inbox periodically lately.  How is Comcast addressing this issue?  I am frustrated and must be confident that I will not lose important email. Thank you. 

Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem.   All of a sudden there is only one page of emails - I have it set to NEVER delete them.  What can we do????  This is so frustrating and I've gotten no answers and no help.  Signed - wardkbcck@comcast.net

New Poster

Same problem here.  But, it is sent mail.  There are emails that I MUST have for a court case.  Virtually ALL of my sent mail is gone!

New Poster

I'm having a similar problem - I have a gap between 5/28/13 and 11/27/12, but only two emails that old. 

What happened to all the other read emails in my Inbox from the last 6 months??  (No, I do not have my emails set up to be deleted automatically)

Maggie Rimmer

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Moved to its own Thread since this Thread was marked as solved. Click the link to go to your Thread and replies to it.

Regular Visitor

• chat id:      313af27e-56c5-403a-9d6a-b0cd6d19f84b
  • Problem:      sharan      > My Issue: Everything in my xfinity email inbox has disappeared.Michelle      > Hi there, Sharan! Just to ensure that I have understood the issue      correctly, you're having issue with your email?
  • sharan      > I NEED my email from my inbox. When I signed back in my inbox was      EMPTY. I had over 100 emails and must get them back. Everything is OK with      Sent, Spam, trash box just no inbox email. HELP!!
  • sharan      > Please RESTORE my inbox!
  • Michelle      > Thank you.
  • Michelle      > Can you please check on your email settings? Please go to Preferences      then, click on email settings.
  • sharan      > it all reads Never, Never, Never,etc delete
  • sharan      > I also Do Not have forwarding email.  I did go to freq asked questions and      could not find an answer of resolve to this issue
  • Michelle      > Can you check on the email deletion schedule?
  • sharan      > As stated above inbox is never delete as well as all others.
  • sharan      > Inbox (unread) Never; Inbox (read) Never; Sent 30 Never; Spam; 30      days Trash 30 days
  • Michelle      > Can you check if the email is in your Spam or Trash folder?
  • sharan      > I did that before contacting you as well as my delete and send boxes.      I also have zero filters set
  • Michelle      > I apologize, but we are not able to retrieve your messages.
  • sharan      > This IS CRITICAL! I MUST GET MY INBOX EMAIL BACK now!! SUPERVISOR      ASSISTANCE NOW REQUESTED!
  • Michelle      > I will create an open ticket to get this issue resolve, Sharan.
  • sharan      > I NEED HELP NOT A TICKET! I never never had this issue until a few      hours ago right after signing in!
  • sharan      > So why did Comcast/Xfinity change or take it upon themselves to      change my settings?
  •  
  • Michelle      > May I ask if your are using an email client, like, Outlook Express? May      I know what email client are you using right now?
  • sharan      > No not outlook express. I use Internet Explorer and whatever Xfinity      uses
  • Michelle      > Comcast, did not change the settings of your email, Sharan. No      worries, I will create an open ticket for you and our Higher Fix      Department is going to call you.
  • Michelle      > May I ask when was the last time you saw the missing email?
  • sharan      > Approximately 3-4 hours ago.....I tried to research for an answer      myself via internet searches to no avail. I have also shut down and reboot      to see if that would fix the issue..and no it did not.
  • Michelle      > May I ask for a reliable contact number?
  • sharan      > I have 200 messages in my trash, 2 in spam, 4 in draft and 0 inbox      Help please.
  • Michelle      > We may need to reset the password in my end, to check if the messages      will be back. Would that be okay?
  • sharan      > 904-327-5415 Sharan Prefer Supervisor call in the early morning EST.
  • sharan      > Yes so long as you let me know and I prefer tomorrow early morning.      0800 am est
  • Michelle      > Sure. Please give me one moment to reset the password for you.
  • Michelle      > The new password is : BakeTune0
  • Michelle      > Please try to log out and log back in using the password I provided.
  • sharan      > OK Stand by
  • Michelle      > Sure.
  • sharan      > If I do that Will I lose you? OK
  • Michelle      > I will stay here in my end, Sharan.
  • sharan      > OK signed out ....
  • Michelle      > Please let me know when you're in.
  • sharan      > signed back in and no change....No inbox email and other boxes remain      the same ;-{
  • Michelle      > Can you check if you are able to check the messages on your email      client? Not on the website, Sharan?
  • sharan      > Now you lost me I do not understand? email client? what website?
  • Michelle      > Can you sign in to Outlook Express, Outlook 2007 or Mac Mail if you      have?
  • Michelle      > If you have Windows Live mail or Windows mail will do.
  • sharan      > I never have used any of those and don't have accounts to any of      those. only Comcast xfinity. My friend
  • Michelle      > That's alright, Sharan.
  • sharan      > I just asked my friend to sign into my account and will give her the      new password. She too connects via Comcast but uses AOL. She will use      Comcast to get to my account. Stand by..
  • Michelle      > Sure.
  • sharan      > She just opened my email there was one email from Comcast online      Message Xfinity Online Parental Controls Alert. It's advertisement junk      about accessing TV shows, etc other junk....I want all my lost emails some      100+
  • Michelle      > I already have processed an open ticket in my end. Please wait for      our higher fixed department to call you tomorrow on your xxx xxx xxxx      number.T his process may take 72 business hours or 3 - 9 days.
  • sharan      > Send the TICKET NUMBER please!
  • Michelle      > The ticket number is CRxxxxxxxxx.
  • sharan      > ok GOT IT. I'll Print this for record. Thank you
  • Michelle      > You are most welcome.
  • sharan      > I MUST HAVE all THE EMAILS FROM MY INBOX!
  • Michelle      > I apologize if I was not able to help your concern today, Sharan.
  • Michelle      > Is there anything else I can help you with today?
  • sharan      > NO GOODBYE
Regular Visitor

My emails disappeared about an hour ago

Gold Problem Solver

Please provide details. What do you use for email, XfinityConnect?

Have you checked your Email Deletion. Schedule to see how many days. Your emails stay in your Folders before they are automatically deleted?
To do:
From the Preview window cluck on Preferences
Click on the Email icon
Scroll down you email preferences to the Email Deletion. schedule
Open it and look at the number of days it is set for deleting email. From each folder.

Does that explain. Why your email was deleted?

Post back.

Also- Do You also use. an email. Program, such as Windows Live Mail, Outlook, etc? Do you use any other devices ?

CC

Regular Visitor

I have also just noticed that all my saved email (4 years worth) to a specific folder has been deleted. I use nothing but Comcast Xfinity to access my email, preferences are set to "never" and have used nothing but Comcast for over 10 years. I also noticed that Comcast email has once again changed, colors for folders, etc., and in my opinion, Comcast deleted my emails sometime within the last 60 days while they reconfigured everything. So get to working to retrieve 4 years worth of preciously saved email. 

New Poster

We all should probably get to work on starting our gmail accounts.  My comcast emails are gone as well and I have zero confidence that they will restore any of it.  We will go through the song and dance of checking our preferences etc, phone calls, emails, and then, "sorry for your loss."

Email Expert

What you need to do is start using a desktop email client like Thunderbird, Outlook or Windows Live Mail.  And there are others.  I would not depend on anyone's webmail account for permanent storage of anything important.  All of them are subject to flukes like this.  That means Comcast, AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail----the lot.  When you use webmail, your business is on somebody else's computer, not yours.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Regular Visitor

I have the same issue as many in this discussion.  I have deletes set to Never.  My entire history of emails are gone.  Even new ones that come in don't stick around long.  They won't last a day.  If I click on "Get Mail", they go away immediately.   If I delete an email on purpose, it goes to my deleted mail folder.  Emails that go away on their own, are not in my deleted mail folder. 

If anyone has a cure for this, I'd sure like to know.

Why doesn't Comcast know exactly what to do?  Seems like tons of people are having this problem.  Why do we all have to describe this problem to them over and over again?

New Poster

My e-mails are also gone.  I need them back.  My deletion schdule is set up so that none of them should have been removed.

Email Expert

Suddenly vanishing emails can be a sign of a malware infection.  To be on the safe side, change the password on your account to something stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change the secret question and answer.  Then run a complete scan of your machine with your A/V software to see if it finds anything wrong.

There is also a new recovery feature available now in the Full version of XC.  Look at another thread where I posted the process------------

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Is-older-email-recovery-possible/td-p/1...

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Latoque wrote:

Suddenly vanishing emails can be a sign of a malware infection.  

Come on...obviously not all of the numerous complaints are due to malware infection.  It's a Comcast issue, clearly.

Email Expert

dscindy wrote:

Latoque wrote:

Suddenly vanishing emails can be a sign of a malware infection.  

Come on...obviously not all of the numerous complaints are due to malware infection.  It's a Comcast issue, clearly.

You may be right------or you may be dead wrong.  Suddenly vanishing emails is a well known symptom of a malware infection.  Ignore it at your own peril.  It doesn't cost you anything to play it safe and just run the scan, and change the password.  Hopefully I'm wrong.  Why take the chance that I'm not?  It just doesn't make any sense not to take reasonable precautions.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

On a Mac, all updates installed, malware protection (although hardly needed on a Mac)....it's NOT malware.

Email Expert

That's nice.  I'm on a Mac also.  Had you mentioned that in your last post, It would have saved us both some time.  The  majority of the posters in these forums are on Windows machines, and unless the poster indicates otherwise, we take it that they are using some version of Windows.  Do please keep that in mind for any future posts you may read in here. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Ok.  Done.  No malware. And no emails.  Anyone have a solution that will work?

Regular Visitor

Good morning, this is the second time I have lost my inbox of email. I went online this am and had about ten emails but did not read them. I went on the net to join an organization for social workers and for some reason as I was getting ready to pay, the screen blinked and the prompt said the page was not available anymore. OK, so I went to my email and it was gone. Now my trash is OK, sent is OK, but email in box empty. Is there a way to retrieve the lost emails or are they in cyber space.......I also will look to see how I change the amount of days email stays in my computer. Thanks al wieland

Email Expert

alwieland wrote:

Good morning, this is the second time I have lost my inbox of email. I went online this am and had about ten emails but did not read them. I went on the net to join an organization for social workers and for some reason as I was getting ready to pay, the screen blinked and the prompt said the page was not available anymore. OK, so I went to my email and it was gone. Now my trash is OK, sent is OK, but email in box empty. Is there a way to retrieve the lost emails or are they in cyber space.......I also will look to see how I change the amount of days email stays in my computer. Thanks al wieland

Assuming you are using the Full version of the XC webmail portal (which is the default), from either the Preview or Inbox pages, go to Preferences>>>>>Email>>>>>Email Deletion Schedules.  That's where you can check how they are set.  There is also a new feature in XC that may or may not help.  Look at my post in this recent thread about how to "Recover Deleted Items".  It's supposed to recover things you deleted yourself.  I don't know yet if it will pull up stuff that wandered off on it's own.  But take a look-----------

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Is-older-email-recovery-possible/td-p/1...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

My email suddenly disappeared--the whole inbox!  Help!

Email Expert

As a precaution I would change your password to something stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change your secret question and answer. Suddenly vanishing emails is a common sign of a malware infection. Run a complete scan of your machine with your A/V software to see if it finds anything wrong.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

If you are using other devices to get email, like Outlook.  Make sure that when you set up your Outlook a account that you inspect for the ability to leave a copy of your email on the server.  I don't have recall about how to do this (maybe someone else can help you with that).  But if you get that setting correct, you can eliminate that issue as a reason that you lose your emails in Comcast, which is your server.

Email Expert

ddebb wrote:

My email suddenly disappeared--the whole inbox!  Help!

rukiddingme is correct-----are you using another device with the Comcast account enabled on it like a smart phone or a tablet?  If so, do you have it set to leave a copy of the messages on the server?  Because if you don't, by default they will download the messages and then delete them from the server.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Email Expert
Moved:

Regular Visitor

lost all email 5 minutes ago

Regular Visitor

They were deleted November 28th in the evening. 

Email Expert

As a precaution I would change your password to something stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change your secret question and answer. Suddenly vanishing emails is  a common sign of a malware infection. Run a complete scan of your machine with your A/V software to see if it finds anything wrong.   Then, I would call Comcast security and see if they can get the missing messages back.  Sinct this just happened, there is a good chance they can recover them.

"The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected PCs (commonly referred to as "bots"), online fraud and other security issues."

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon