New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How to block spam

Frequent Visitor

How to block spam

Hi!

Recently I've been plagued with dozens of emails cluttering my inbox daily & most of them have the same thing in common...they're all unwanted spam, & they all end in ".ro" indicating that they're from Romania.  I don't know a single soul in Romania; I don't know how my email addresses were shared with these annoying companies, but I want to prevent ALL email ending with .ro from ever entering my inbox again.

Comcast is my  ISP, but I use IncrediMail as my email program, & I've been wasting so much time making "Message Rules" for all of these intruders, but I'd like to know if I can stop them from even getting to the Comcast Server in the first place; that way, I won't be bothered by them ever again.

Is there a way to accomplish this, & if so, please give detailed instructions!

Also, how do I "block & bounce" unwanted messages in my Comcast inbox?  I looked everywhere in "Preferences" & under other headings but I couldn't find what I was looking for.  Please give details for these procedures, too.

Thanks in advance for your help!

"Qui tacet consentit"
He who is silent gives consent
Gold Problem Solver

Re: How to block spam

You can create email filters to block all email from a speicific domain(.ro)

You can block email addresses too by creating an email filter to block.

Go to your Inbox, click on Preferences, then click on the Email settings icon.  Scroll down to EMAIL FILTERS and click to open.  Create the filters there.

Also read this, and click on the blue link too!

Re: Email Filtering
Options
Choose this solution
Looking at http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/spam-filters-and-email-blocking/
and http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/email-clients-Smartzone-HOW-TO/m-p/6985... I think you would set up the filter so that it would trigger for either of these match conditions:

From | Matches wildcard | *.top to match "user@host.top"
From | Matches wildcard | *.top> to match "<user@host.top>"

followed by the action you want to take when the match condition is met. Sometimes addresses are enclosed by angle brackets (<>) and sometimes not, so you need to be able to match either one.

Email filters are buggy, but Comcast just doesn't seem interested in fixing them.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

Re: How to block spam

Hi CCC!

Thank you for the great reply! 

I'm sorry for not answering sooner, but some health issues took precedence.

I'm going to follow your wonderfully detailed directions & hopefully I'll regain control of my Inbox again!

Thanks again for your help Smiley Happy

Nuts4

"Qui tacet consentit"
He who is silent gives consent