online now

discussions

How to block emails?

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

How to block emails?

How do I block specific senders?

The instructions for "Restricting Incoming Email" has the following statement:
This feature prevents emails from arriving in your INBOX from senders you have not authorized. You can choose to allow all emails, block all emails, or restrict incoming emails to a specific list of senders.

The last statement implies I can block specific senders but the only choices are:

1. Allow all emails
2. Block all emails
3. Only allow email from the following email address

Is there an opposite feature for option 3?
Accepted Solution

Re: How to block emails?

Here is the link to leave feedbackand suggestions ( you will also see this as a 'stickie 'at the top of the forum posted by charvey)  http://www.comcastsupport.com/forms/net/sccfeedback.asp

Sorry, I can't answer the server/client question for you tho.

View answer in context
Gold Problem Solver

Batwings wrote:
How do I block specific senders?

The instructions for "Restricting Incoming Email" has the following statement:
This feature prevents emails from arriving in your INBOX from senders you have not authorized. You can choose to allow all emails, block all emails, or restrict incoming emails to a specific list of senders.

The last statement implies I can block specific senders but the only choices are:

1. Allow all emails
2. Block all emails
3. Only allow email from the following email address

Is there an opposite feature for option 3?

Please include in a post if you are using Smartzone regular or Lite.  Knowing that helps us to give you specific answers based on which version you are using, since some may be different.  ThanksSmiley Wink

Go to Preferences/E-mail Filters

Message Edited by CCCarole on 02-02-2009 10:50 AM

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

Hi CCCarole,
Can you give me the answer for both SZ Regular and Lite?
Thank you,
Gold Problem Solver

In this case, you do go to the same tabs - Preferences/E-Mail Filters Smiley Happy

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Frequent Visitor

Thank you CCC for your timely response.
I used the From - Discard email filter and it appears to have worked.

I do have a follow up question(s) though.
Does the server complete this discard task regardless of the client (me) being on-line?
Can I inform the sender of this action, for example:
Reply to sender- Per the recipient's request, your emails will automatically be discarded.

My objective here is to block all emails from certain senders prior to the emails reaching my PC. I have used similar filters in the past but the delete/discard action was done by my PC after the fact of receiving it.

Thank you,
Gold Problem Solver

Batwings wrote:
Thank you CCC for your timely response.
I used the From - Discard email filter and it appears to have worked.

I do have a follow up question(s) though.
Does the server complete this discard task regardless of the client (me) being on-line?YES
Can I inform the sender of this action, for example:No (some e-mail clients have that function tho)
Reply to sender- Per the recipient's request, your emails will automatically be discarded.

My objective here is to block all emails from certain senders prior to the emails reaching my PC. I have used similar filters in the past but the delete/discard action was done by my PC after the fact of receiving it.I am not sure at what point they are discarded.  but I think they would be discarded once downloaded.  JR may be able to answer that for you.  I am sure he will see your post.

Thank you,

Email Expert

CCCarole is correct. If you configure filters in a client, they operate after downloading. One exception is if you use Outlook with a Microsoft Exchange server (this is typically only found in corporate environments); some of its filters are client-side, some are server-side, and the server-side filters operate independently of the client connecting.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Barmar wrote:

CCCarole is correct. If you configure filters in a client, they operate after downloading. One exception is if you use Outlook with a Microsoft Exchange server (this is typically only found in corporate environments); some of its filters are client-side, some are server-side, and the server-side filters operate independently of the client connecting.

Barmar- Thank you.  I relate what you posted to my brother's company- Their servers block pictures, attachments by filters,etc.  Bro never sees them. 

Frequent Visitor

Thank you all for your answers.
Now I have one more related question.

How do I get my concerns registered directly with Comcast? Do they have a wish list drop box?

To paraphrase my original post I asked how I can I get the "Restricting Incoming Email" feature to function as advertised. Based on my assumption that this feature performs at the server level, it would be nice to add a fourth switch “Allow all emails except from the following email addresses”. Does anybody know if "Restricting Incoming Email" is client or server side?
Gold Problem Solver

Here is the link to leave feedbackand suggestions ( you will also see this as a 'stickie 'at the top of the forum posted by charvey)  http://www.comcastsupport.com/forms/net/sccfeedback.asp

Sorry, I can't answer the server/client question for you tho.

Email Expert

Everything you can configure in the web site's preferences is server-side. The distinction between client-side and server-side only applies to things you configure in a client like Outlook.

I doubt Comcast will add the feature you've requested. They probably view the filtering rules as the solution to that need, and won't bother implementing another way to address it. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

How do I block 1 email address?  Do I have to actually re-create all of the email addresses I still wish to receive--is there any simple way to do this?