members

online now

discussions

How to Change the Primary User

ANSWERED
New Poster

How to Change the Primary User

How do I change the primary user?

When I moved, Comcast created a new primary user and didn't tell me.  When I noticed and complained, they changed it to one of my secondary users, but not the one I wanted.  I have followed the instructions to log in as the current primary user, then select the secondary user that I want for primary, then select "suspend or delete."  But at that point, I have not seen an option to change to primary - only the option to suspend or delete.

Accepted Solution

Re: How to Change the Primary User

Ok, I figured it out.  The secondary account you are doing this through is restricted.  "Unrestrict" and you will get the "Change Primary" option.  To unrestrict, look at the section called "Permissions" and choose "Edit permissions".  In the box that opens, check the first option, something about changing account stuff like email...it's described.  Hit OK, then Save.  You might want to refresh the page.  Then you shoudl see what I posted.

mady

View answer in context
Email Expert

SKoons wrote:

How do I change the primary user?

When I moved, Comcast created a new primary user and didn't tell me.  When I noticed and complained, they changed it to one of my secondary users, but not the one I wanted.  I have followed the instructions to log in as the current primary user, then select the secondary user that I want for primary, then select "suspend or delete."  But at that point, I have not seen an option to change to primary - only the option to suspend or delete.

I just went through the process.  I logged in as the primary and chose Users & Settings.  I then chose one of the secondary accounts shown.  When I clicked on the Delete or Suspend option this is the box that came up:

changeprimary.jpg

When I clicked on Change Primary Account in the upper right of the box it took me to a screen where I could choose any of the secondary accounts as the new primary.

mady

>

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

When I did that, the "Change Primary account" option was missing.

Email Expert

Ok, I figured it out.  The secondary account you are doing this through is restricted.  "Unrestrict" and you will get the "Change Primary" option.  To unrestrict, look at the section called "Permissions" and choose "Edit permissions".  In the box that opens, check the first option, something about changing account stuff like email...it's described.  Hit OK, then Save.  You might want to refresh the page.  Then you shoudl see what I posted.

mady

>

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

Thanks much.  That worked.  Comcast phone support didn't know about the permissions trick.

- SK

New Poster

I've followed the directions you've provided, but I cannot "unrestrict" the secondary user I'd like to make the primary.  So frustrated ... I hate having to call customer service for IT support because this is a very simple change process for most organizations (but not COMCAST).  

Email Expert

The posts you are responding two are two and a half years out of date.  Here are the current instructions on how to switch the Primary account-------------------

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/account/change-your-primary-account-user/

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon