Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How do you block a sender?

How do you block a sender?

I want to block someone from even getting it to my trash can. I want them to get a message saying Returned mail/ user unknown/// is that possible??
Networking Expert

Re: How do you block a sender?

Not easily. Unknown users messages are returned by mail servers, not individuals, a careful examiniation of the headers will show this message is not accurate. If the end user ont he other end is not very observent or thechnically savvy, you should be able to construct a message that looks official enough, but without an outside program to send the message, it will be obvious to a smart user this message is faked.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

I want to block a sender
Most Valued Poster

Using which e-mail client????
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heroes aren't born...they volunteer...
Regular Contributor

Take a look here > > http://www.mailwasher.net/
Contributor

I second 'Mailwasher'.

Pegasus Mail also can be configured with powerful filters, allows deleteing on the server etc. if you don't want a 'front end' like Mailwasher involved.

Be careful with the 'bounce' feature. Clever spamware may be configured in such a way that the real spammer doesn't get the bounce but some innocent mail server or user ends up with it.
Personally I thinks it's best to decipher the header first so you have some idea of where that bounce will end up.
I don't want to add to anymore junk floating around or target someone who is innocent.

Just my .02

If you know the IP address(es) of the sender, is it any easier to block them? I got a 'psycho' who's not only sending me e-mail but stalking my website forums. There, I've caught him with 3 different IP addresses (so far), and I've easily banned him there. I'm kinda sick of 10 nasty E-Mails/day though.... ;(
Most Valued Poster

You should notify his ISP of his behavior and perhaps the police as well, it sounds like a case of harassement to me.

And yes, if you know the IP the email is coming from, you can block it if you have a decent client that support filters and rules. Eudora certainly can and I expect OE and others can as well. The problem is with today's dynamic IP setups, it's pretty easy to change your IP, and the use of an anonymous remailer service will also hide this type of information. Although you could also block the remailer, that stops everything from there, not just the troublemaker, so that may not be a good idea.
Most Valued Poster

> If you know the IP address(es) of the sender, is it
> any easier to block them? I got a 'psycho' who's not
> only sending me e-mail but stalking my website
> forums. There, I've caught him with 3 different IP
> addresses (so far), and I've easily banned him there.
> I'm kinda sick of 10 nasty E-Mails/day though.... ;(

Depending on which state you live in his behavior may meet the legal definition of "stalking"...some states now have passed pretty strict legislation...others haven't...you might try emailing your circumstance to your State Attorney General...you'll probably find the address somewhere on your state's web site. Some AGs can and do respond very quickly......
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heroes aren't born...they volunteer...
Connection Expert
Moved: