Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

How can one stop using Comcast proxy server

Regular Visitor

How can one stop using Comcast proxy server

Chrome is my favorite browser. It worked fine with windows 7. when I upgraded to windows 10 I get a proxy server error when trying to access certain wsb pages:

Unable to connect to the proxy server, ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED.

The Comcast proxy servers seem not to work with Chrome and windows 10.

Comcast makes it that you cannot change proxy servers away from the Comcast ones.

In windows 10 settings as well as in the Chrome settings proxy server settings are inoperable, i.e. greyed out.

Microsoft says that it is a Comcast problem.

Is there a solution? if there is not, can Comcast let me know when they have solved the problem?

Does Google know that their browser is inoperable with windows 10 and Comcast?

Thanks for any response.

Service Expert

Re: How can one stop using Comcast proxy server

nickkydo wrote:

Chrome is my favorite browser. It worked fine with windows 7. when I upgraded to windows 10 I get a proxy server error when trying to access certain wsb pages:

Unable to connect to the proxy server, ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED.

The Comcast proxy servers seem not to work with Chrome and windows 10.

Comcast makes it that you cannot change proxy servers away from the Comcast ones.

In windows 10 settings as well as in the Chrome settings proxy server settings are inoperable, i.e. greyed out.

Microsoft says that it is a Comcast problem.

Is there a solution? if there is not, can Comcast let me know when they have solved the problem?

Does Google know that their browser is inoperable with windows 10 and Comcast?

Thanks for any response.

I currently use CHROME with Windows10 and have never seen that error personally....   Proxy Server settings can be found within Chrome's settings, as Chrome uses the LAN Proxy settings from WIndows10 Internet Settings.    Your fix may be to go to your LAN Settings under Internet Properties in your Windows10 device and UNCHECK the Proxy Settings box as this is not needed for Comcast web pages.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.   Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the response Geek46; however all proxy server setting wheather windows 10 settings, or Chrome proxy settings are greyed out. Is there a way of ungreying the Chrome network settings or the windows 10 proxy server settings?

Service Expert

nickkydo wrote:

Thanks for the response Geek46; however all proxy server setting wheather windows 10 settings, or Chrome proxy settings are greyed out. Is there a way of ungreying the Chrome network settings or the windows 10 proxy server settings?

You may want to visit this link at the Windows 10 Support site:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_7/lan-proxy-settings-greyed-out/8d0a6239-c2...

Additionally, you may also want to run a scan on your device for any hidden malware or trojans resident....  they can and do "mask" the Proxy Settings so that the user cannot make changes thereby routing all traffic through the virus proxy which you cannot see ( hidden)....  

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.   Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with RED lettered User Names. Comcast Appointed Experts are identified with GREEN lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Nothing worked for me for some reason. I tried to tried to talk to a Google person in vain, but I looked at the Chrome download an saw that it was a new version. So,  I uninstalled Chrome from my computer and downloaded and installed the new version. That solved all the problems without having to abandon the Comcast DNS servers. However, I appreciate Comcast's interest in solving my problems as my ISP.