Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

How can one change back to POP3 from IMAP on Comcast Mail?

New Poster

How can one change back to POP3 from IMAP on Comcast Mail?

I have been very disturbed about the complacency Comcast shows over my privacy and security of my emails being stored on their IMAP server.  When I requested to have account put back I am being told that once the account was changed to IMAP, I can not revert back to POP3.  The change occurred without my consent...POP3 stopped working (i.e. as I was not being able to connect with server like I had done the day before) all of a sudden.  When I called Comcast for help initially, they said nothing about not being able to receive email in POP3, and tried to help me set-up a different .pst file for Outlook 2016.  When they could not establish a connection, they passed me off to Microsoft saying, "It is not an issue on our end but is an issue with Outlook...You need to call them and the problem should be fixed!"  Well, I did just that, and Microsoft confirmed that it was an issue with Comcast's mail servers.  They told me to contact Comcast Tech Support to resolve the issue.  So once again, I got hold of Comcast, and was told to have the computer checked by a repair person like GeekSquad because it was not an issue that Comcast is responsible for.  Once again, I did that and the tech from GeekSquad confirmed (i.e. the 2nd confirmation I received from an outside source) that it was an issue on Comcast's end.  I then contacted Comcast Tech Support and told them what had been going-on, and they finally relented that "Once POP3 was converted over to IMAP, 'they will not convert it back to POP3!' "  So the bottom-line is this: "Once Outlook is using an IMAP connection it will not allow--according to Comcast--for the creation of a working POP3 data file to be used in Outlook because all Microsoft Office email apps after 2013 are being prevented by Comcast from using POP3 and must use IMAP!"  Now, medical emails and other sensitive information is going to reside on Comcast's servers!  So, if some wise guy "hacker" hacks their system: "Everyone's emails can be retrieved and Comcast will just say, 'Sorry about that!' "  QUESTION: Is there anyway that one can change back to POP3 from IMAP?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: How can one change back to POP3 from IMAP on Comcast Mail?

Surprise, everything you were told by Comcast is wrong. Here is how to change to POP from THEIR website.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email

Email Expert

Re: How can one change back to POP3 from IMAP on Comcast Mail?

Comcast does in fact still support POP3.  You can find the settings here----------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/?

They do recommend using IMAP, but they do not arbitrarily switch your client to it.  They can't.  That is controlled by your client program-----in your case Outlook.  Maybe try deleting the account from Outlook and then re-create it from scratch.  Back up your local folders first just to be safe.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation