Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Forward emails to new email address

Frequent Visitor

Forward emails to new email address

I'm in the process of changing service providers but a lot of people have my comcast email which I've had for several years. Is there a way to forward any emails that still come to that email and reply with a message that the email address has changed?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Forward emails to new email address

You can do that at this link

https://pf.connect.comcast.net/OptimusPref/prefs/email

But once the account is closed the email account will stop working

Frequent Visitor

So what happens when people email to the email address will they receive a message that the email address has changed? There has to be away to let people know as email addresses change often. I've had this email address for years so it's impossible to notify everyone who has ever emailed me who could still email me because of past work related communication that my email has changed. I can't afford for them to get a message that the email is no longer available.

Bronze Problem Solver

If you set it up to do so it will as long as the Xfinity account is open.

But once the account is closed and the email no longer works mail sent to it will bounce

Email Expert

danitamoon wrote:

So what happens when people email to the email address will they receive a message that the email address has changed? There has to be away to let people know as email addresses change often. I've had this email address for years so it's impossible to notify everyone who has ever emailed me who could still email me because of past work related communication that my email has changed. I can't afford for them to get a message that the email is no longer available.

A recent discovery of mine based on an experiment I set up recently----------------

If you set up the Comcast account in an email client like Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird or some other, it keeps you signed in to the account.  When you cancel service, the email ID is suspended for 90 days.  It's still running in the background------you just can't see it or log into to it using the Comcast email UI any more.  HOWEVER-----you can still access the account through the client.  I was able to send and recieve emails with an account I deleted because I had set it up in Mac Mail before I deleted it from the Comcast UI.  I am currently repeating the experiment with another account I set up and deliberately deleted after a week.

I am waiting on a response from Comcast about this, but I am assuming that it's the same for everyone and not just me.  Try it yourself;  go into your Comcast "My Account" page, set up a secondary account and use it for a few days.  Set it up in one of the mail clients and then delete it from Comcast but leave it in the client.  I was able to use that account for the full 90 days.  But after that it's just gone.  Also, you can use the client to do any forwarding instead of Comcast if you like.  That would give you plenty of time to notify as many people as possible.

Also keep in mind-------I am still a Comcast customer who just deleted a secondary email account.  I don't know if canelling service is any different as far as the scenario I described above.  I don't see that it would make any difference but I could be wrong on that point.

Something to consider anyway.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Service Expert

Latoque, the email address is connected/associated via the account number.  So, once the account is closed, the email address, along with any secondary email addresses, is terminated at the end of the last billing cycle.  While it's true the address goes into a 90 day suspension, only a Comcast customer can pick it up again.

This is the main reason that people use free email accounts, such as GMail, Yahoo, Outlook.com, etc.  No matter where you move to, or if you change providers, those email addresses stick with you.

So, danitamoon, if you have those addresses in your Comcast address book it would be wise to send email to them now giving your new email address.  And, use an email client so that regardless of any email address changes you might make, your email resides on your computer.  You can also export your address book to that client.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

The comcast email is pulled into my outlook program and I do use other email providers but comcast was my main one which I've slowly started moving away from because I knew I'd be changing services once a new one was available in my area. It just some people keep using the same email address as it's in their default folder.

Thanks for your help.