New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

External Account Failure Error Message

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

External Account Failure Error Message

When I open my primary mail account using a link I got on a forum here that avoids re-logging in and the useless multiple comcast - scuze me xfinity - home pages, I get an "External Account Failure" error message stating it is unable to connect to POP3 server: DataSource: ( id=.......   It then lists lots of stuff including my secondary account name, port=110 and finally "read timed out".  It tells me "The failed account will not update until problems(s) have been resolved.  Click OK to go to account preferences."

But the account preferences page will not load from that "OK" link.  I've done a live online text chat with Comcast that didn't allow me to attach a screen print of the error message.  The message cannot be scraped so I can paste it into the chat session.  The help person had me give her my password so she could view the secondary account.  She said nothing is wrong.  Everything works fine.  It does work fine when you directly log into the accout.  (I have subsequently changed the secondary account password to a new one.)  

But I still get the error message in Chrome and IE8 when I log into my primary account. Jumping to the secondary account gets the mail list page but clicking Get External Mail times out with an error message.  My other external mail accounts function properly (but slowly as usual) when I jump to them.

The online chat session didn't fix the problem as she suggested (because there was no problem she said).  How do I get this comcast problem fixed that started on Oct 13 at 1:43 AM as stated in the failure message?

Accepted Solution

Re: External Account Failure Error Message

On a whim, I went into the email preferences for my primary account and re-saved the information (without change!) for my alternate account.  That got rid of the External Account Failure message on accessing my primary account and the system failure message when I tried to Get External Mail for my secondary account.

Who knows why there was a system bug affecting only one secondary account when logged into the primary account, but there was.  Anyway after fighting this all day and wasting my time with the comcast online chat "help", I fixed it myself...

View answer in context
Email Expert

First of all, any link directly to your inbox is bound to fail.  Unfortunately, Comcast has set things up so that it'r pretty much impossible to avoid going to that eyesore of a homepage.

I have seen that error pop up occasionally too and there's never been anything wrong.  It does eventually go away.  One thing to try is to remove then re-add that secondary account as an external account and see if that stops the problem.

mady

>

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the information.

Until today I'd not seen the two screen process to get to a log in box that everyone has been complaining about.  Wonder if corporate even realizes their Comcast underlings intentionally annoy customers with things like this and that's why the company is rated so poorly by their unhappy customers. 

Regular Contributor

On a whim, I went into the email preferences for my primary account and re-saved the information (without change!) for my alternate account.  That got rid of the External Account Failure message on accessing my primary account and the system failure message when I tried to Get External Mail for my secondary account.

Who knows why there was a system bug affecting only one secondary account when logged into the primary account, but there was.  Anyway after fighting this all day and wasting my time with the comcast online chat "help", I fixed it myself...

Regular Visitor

Had the same problem; contacted comcast.  They suggested clearing the cache, which didn't fix the problem.  Googled the error message and found your post.  Your fix worked.  Thanks!

Regular Contributor

I'm glad I could help. 

New Poster

Thank you SOOO much for your help. I used the chat system, and spent an hour with someone who kept cycling back through the same set of unhelpful ideas (including clearing my cache and installing Outlook...why???). I finally gave up on that, then spoke to someone the next day for half an hour who also was unable to help but did promise to "write up a slip on it." No change, and that was nine days ago. Today, I read your solution. I went into Preferences, re-saved my secondary account info, and, ta-dum, it's all fixed. Can't thank you enough!!!

Regular Visitor

Im havng the same problem, however, resaving the account info did not fix the problem.  I too have spend hours in chat and on the phone with Comcast help. 

Any other ideas on how to correct this error message.  I want to add some filters to my email accts, but nothing will update until i correct this problem.

Thanks

Duke

New Poster

Thank You for the solution -- had this problem on 2 external Comcast accts -- ended up deleting and recreating the account the 1st time -- this solution is much easier and quicker --

New Poster

I had the same problem.  I also tried Hat Man's solution and it didn't work, but in a similar "re-booting" maneuver, I used the Forgot Password link -- and it worked!  Thanks to everyone.

Regular Visitor

I have been having the exact same problem with three secondary email accounts for the last 2 weeks. In my case, I will get the error messages sometimes and then when I try again, they work. It has been on again off again. Very annoying. When you get the error and go to the preferences page to try to fix, it will not open the account setup.

Regular Contributor

Just got the error message again for the same external (Secondary) account.  So again, I simply resaved the information defining the account.  Why is this Comcast problem still occuring?  It should have been fixed by comcast long ago.

I wasted a lot of time with this that could have been spent doing something productive.  grumble, grumble...

Regular Visitor

I have had this problem for three weeks now. I find that if I wait for awhile, I can get in without doing a darn thing. Sometimes that wait of course is anywhere from 1-5 hours. I really am thinking that Comcast is actually turning this service on and off. I think it is an "intentional failure" on their part. I think they have over sold there family plan stuff in some areas and do not have the resources to handle the traffic.

Regular Contributor

The error message returned in ten or fifteen minutes and I simply saved what was already there for the account and I have access again.  At least for the moment I have access again.  Come on Comcast fix your darn code!

Regular Contributor

Yippee! I got the "External Account Failure" error message on the same secondary comcast account when I logged on this morning. I removed the @comcast from the User ID, entered my password and saved. It appears to have worked for the moment. Why does this problem with comcast email keep reoccurring?

Regular Contributor

Well, I got the External Account Failure message again after months with no problem and I cannot get the secondary account added again.  It will not accept my user ID and password.  I can however log into the secondary account directly using the SAME user ID and password.  I have logged out of the primary account and closed the browser and logged back into the primary account several times.   No Joy!

I'm using IE 11 on a Win 7 pro machine and full comcast email.  No email client.

Come on Comcast, what's the work around now to get the secondary account added back in?

Regular Contributor

I tried to add my secondary comcast account back into my list of accounts again and I still get the error message.  No problem maintaining the connection with my other secondary accounts but this one continues to periodically have problems.

Please fix the comcast bug that is causing this.  Thank you.

Contributor

CONFUSED, Please help! 

I've been having this same problem with an External Account Failure (pop3, ldap, my email address, etc.) but at the end it said LOGIN FAILED.

I'm seeing someone found an answer/solution in here but I don't understand how/where to resave my primary account?
I click on 'OK' at the error which brings me to Preferences, but from there I'm lost.
Cookie are cleared.