Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Error: system failure: Unable to connect to POP3 server:

Regular Visitor

Error: system failure: Unable to connect to POP3 server:

I can not access my secondary email account anymore. Here is my error message. This happens every few months for over two years now

Retrieving messages for the following external account has failed:

• Business (failing since 9/27/15 6:53 AM)
    Error: system failure: Unable to connect to POP3 server: LdapDataSource{id=2a1dd8c5-dc06-48ae-b6a1-655b49780a73, type=pop3, enabled=true, name=Business, host=mail.comcast.net, port=995, connectionType=ssl, username=rogoshandymanservice, folderId=14767}, LOGIN failed

The failed accounts will not update until the problem(s) have been resolved. Click OK to go to account preferences.

Snap 2015-10-09 at 10.29.59.png
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Error: system failure: Unable to connect to POP3 server:

Have you verified that the Username and password for the Secondary is correct?

Are you using Xfinity Connect or a different email program,smartphone, tablet?

On the homepage, while signed in with tgevPRIMARY USERNAME AND PASSWORD, scroll down to Quick links.  Click on Find my username.  A window will open showing yiu all usernames associated with your account.  Is that secondary listed?  If yes, now try to change the password to it in the re-set password link.

IF you are using another email program,etc.  post back with which one, AND include the settings you currently have for that email program.  

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Visitor

still did not work Carol--I tried everything---Comcast knows this is a problem and they can not fix it--unbelievable with all their people they cant fix such a simple error within THEIR OWN SYSTEM

Gold Problem Solver

Mark,

I have equestrian that a Comcast Administrator read the Thread and help you!

CCCarole

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

Have you recently changed the password for rogoshandymanservice?  Did the error start occuring after a password change?

Official Employee

Have you gone to Preferences -> Email -> Email accounts then click the little pencil next to your account and updated the password?  Does that fix the issue?  If not what error or message do you get?  If possible please post a screen shot.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

This is the SAME issue that I have had in the past and I wish I had written down how we resolved it!  I currently had this happen again the other day after changing my primary e:mail account password and then changing the secondary account password.  I changed both passwords because it appeared as though someone had hacked my secondary e:mail account.  

I am able to sign in to my secondary e:mail account, however; I have it linked to my primary account and that is where the error message comes in.  

I changed both passwords (correctly) by going the My Preferences section under My Account.  After I changed passwords, as stated, my secondary account failed with the same error message above.  I called Xfinity and the first technician I spoke to could not help me.  Not before he had me delete my entire browsing history as well as using Internet Explorer vs Google Chrome to log in.   He passed me off to a Security Assurances Dept. tech.  He could not help me either and now I am awaiting a call back.

Well, I just fixed it myself and I am not sure that it will solve the problem.  

1.  While in your primary e:mail account, select e:mail preferences tab located to the right.

2.  Select e:mail accounts.  All your email accounts associated with your primary account will be listed.

3.  Select the "pencil" icon to the right of the account you are having trouble with.  That pulls up your account info.

4.  Select use "SSL to encrypt server traffic"  That selection automatically changed my Port from 110 to 995.  ** See note below

5.  I then selected "Test Settings".  It asked me to fill out my username (which I did not change) and my password.  I entered my new password.  Selected "Test Settings" and HOLY SMOKES!!! It fixed it.

**CAVEAT - I have been reading that Xfinity/Comcast has been negligent in keeping up-to-date on the site certificates (that's right, not paying the bills to keep your e:mail from getting hacked) for their e:mail service.  When the site certificate expires in two years (yes, because they are too cheap to pay for an extended contract) you will then suffer from yet another error message stating that the site certificate is not working.

This will then prompt you to change from SSL to non-secured e:mail by unchecking "SSL to encrypt".

I am not happy with this solution.  I did just try to return my secondary e:mail account back to being unsecured and it won't revert.  In the meantime, at least, the annoying error message of "external account failure" is gone.  

I think I will delete this e:mail account and just use Google e:mail.  

SHAME ON YOU COMCAST for not instructing you help desk properly!