Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Enable cookies for comcast email portal - how dare you

New Poster

Enable cookies for comcast email portal - how dare you

So just recently I started getting, "PLEASE ENABLE COOKIES...." screen when attempting to access my email through the xfinity web portal.  

I use CHROME Version 39.0.2171.65 m

I refresh my screen and close Chrome but each time I attempt to access, I get the cookies notification.  

QUESTIONS:

Why must I open my pc to accepting cookies from any site to access a service I pay for?  

I understand that some people may have a comcast.net email address without paying for service however, I have paid for both residential and business internet access for years which is how I initially obtained my comcast.net email address.  Now I am being asked to essentially lower my security and allow myself to be tracked by not only the worst internet service provider in the country 2 years in a row (congratulations Comcast!) but also to every other site I visit after enabling this function - for a service that I PAY FOR!

From Comcast adertising page on webmail:
"Who wants to be chained down to one computer? With Comcast.net Webmail you can check your accounts from any computer with Internet access. Whether you are visiting friends, on vacation, at work or school, access your email at Comcast.net."

If I truely had that freedom from any computer, turning on cookies should not be a requirement as I clearly do not have the permissions or access to make these kind of changes on 'ANY COMPUTER'.  

Why do I need cookies enabled if I can independently authenticate my access via login and password requirements?

Let be honest here.  The only reason why Comcast would require this is to perform more data mining and tracking.  

Please instruct me on how to bypass the hostage situation you have created with my email.  

Thank you

Regular Contributor

Re: Enable cookies for comcast email portal - how dare you

I get the same "Please enable cookies" but it comes afterward (when I sign out) and doesn't prevent me from accessing email. Very Odd, but then so much about this company is.....

Regular Contributor

I am obsessed with privacy and use "Disconnect" so I'm so suprised you are having this issue especially on Chrome!

New Poster

Thank you for your feedback.  

What is 'Disconnect' or what do you mean by 'Disconnect'?  Thank you in advance.  

Bronze Problem Solver

The cookies are needed to store settings and remember you on the computer.  Otherwise you will be continually logging in over and over.  That is if you get to the email to begin with.

Block third party cookies in the browser...But allow Comcast cookies.

Regular Contributor

Disconnect is a free Chrome plug-in https://disconnect.me/ It's had wonderful reviews and I'm delighted with it. 

Regular Contributor

PS It's open source so you can really delve in to decide if it's for you. I have nothing to gain by suggesting it, absolutely no affiliation whatsoever....

*edited for embarrassing spelling error: affilliation*

New Poster

Thanks Keffington.   Thanks for your time and feedback.  

I prefer to log into my email each time as I am very concerned about privacy.  As I noted in my original post, Comcast promotes the ability to get your email from "any computer".  Why would I want to store my logon information or Comcast credentials on a PC that I use temporarily to get my email.  Hence, requiring cookies to be set is an a s i n i n e premise.  I can understand it being an option, but to not let me get to my email unless I allow Comcast to place information on a computer and track me, is not in my best interest.  It is however in their best interest as cookies can be shared across sites, perform data mining, and share your information to people you don't want.  So blocking me from a service that I pay for until I give up my privacy is extortion.  

So Again I ask how, I can get my email "on the go at any computer" without surrending my right to privacy.  

PS, I just tried to post this using the english word a-s-i-nine, and got an error saying I used a bad word?!!!  What?!  That is a standard english word that has nothing to do with profanity.  It means; extremely stupid or foolish.  This is the company offering you service to the internet people.  Facists

Bronze Problem Solver

The short and long answer is you can't login to webmail if you don't allow comcast to set a data cookie.  

Either allow the site or you can't log in.  You can still set it to not accept 3rd party cookies and can set it to dump the cookie after the session.

If you are that concerned about the privacy issue with webmail login.  Don't use webmail.   Use a separate email program....No cookie required.

Webpages are not too smart.  An Authentication cookie is the only way the site can tell if you are logged in or not.  And whether or not to give you the information (your email) or not.  Without it, it would not have any security.

Regular Contributor

Not true.

Bronze Problem Solver

What exactly is untrue about it?  

Email programs do not use cookies....Webmail does.  

How many sites can you log into with accepting a cookie from the site?  How secure is such a site?

New Poster

Its untrue because its not the only way, and its certainly not the most secure way.  How about using session instead of cookies?  This is more secure (when done correctly), and handled server-side instead of client-side (another bonus for security).

Frequent Visitor

I have noticed that this is inconsistent, and I suspect that it might not be the Xfinity session that is trying to set a cookie.  I think it is the random advertisements embedded in the email login page that are trying to set a third-party cookie.

If I close the tab, then go to the original Xfinity home tab and re-click the email button, it will generally allow the log-in without asking me to enable cookies.  Sometimes I have to do it twice.

This is a new computer, and I will shortly merge my Xfinity mail into Outlook, so the problem will go away, but I agree that it is annoying and I suspect that it is little more than ploy to get unsuspecting users to change their cookie policy.

Contributor

Thank you all for the affirmation that for $230 per month, and the newest technology, email/internet is radomly available to me as the primary account holder, almost non-existant to my husband and daughter. In the wonderful event they are able to access email, it will not open.  On the rare occasion one actually opens, if there is an attachment or link, it will not open. I see many people on these forums agreeing, stating their problems, (as I have), but where is the actual Fix to the issue.

Cookies are wonderful, that is why there are so many security programs to get rid of them.  I run a cleaner approximately 4 times a day.  Why do I need cookies activated to look at my own account. 

As many persons are, I am stuck with the @comcast.net email due to business, personal and professional. 

Previous IT work required that I find a solution to my clients problems. Comcast supplies constant bandaids, patches, work arounds.  Comcast requires that we fix our own issues with their breakdowns.  Enough said with my venting.

Gold Problem Solver

Just a thought...

Have all email FORWARDED  to another email program automatically and open there.

That can be set up easily.  If yiu want directions, post back.

OR, use a different email program, such as free ones offered by Gmail, Thunderbird,etc.  You are not stuck with having to use Xfinity Connect for email ever.  I don't.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

Intersting - I added the ublock ad blocker extension to Firefox and both the Xfinity login page ads and the the requests to enable cookies no longer appear.

https://www.ublock.org/

By the way, both Adblock and Lightbeam (firefox's tracking mapper) indicate that Xfinity is by far the worst site for third party and tracking connections.   The big "C" on the attached image is my xfinity connection justy for the last hour today.  Every triangle is a third-party site.

I guess if you really want to solve this problem, then using a third-party mail manager is the way to go.  

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/28/mozilla-lightbeam-tracking-privacy-cookies

3pp.PNG