Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Emails deleted on server and on iphone

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

Emails deleted on server and on iphone

I have noticed in the past two weeks that emails on my iphone are disappearing-they download only to be wiped out by new ones. Emails on the server seemingly do the same, even though I just changed the settings to never delete yesterday in an effort to stop the auto delete. I can't seem to figure out the problem and it is a problem since I rely on my iphone to receive and answer emails- Anyone have a solution?

Accepted Solution

Re: Emails deleted on server and on iphone

Hello,

To further isolate your issue I would like to verify additional information.

Have you recently migrated or configured your email cient into IMAP? 

If yes, do you have devices that are still configured in POP3?

Regards,

Queen

Premium Support

View answer in context
Official Employee

Hello,

Regards,

Queen

Premium Support

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I am having the exact same problem and it is driving me crazy--emails just disappear on my iphone and ipad without my knowing--my host name does have "imap" in it--I know I did not change it ---PLEASE ASSIST!

New Poster

I think I have migrated to imap--what does one do to keep the emails from deleting???

Official Employee

Hi,

First, I'll give you an overview between POP3 and IMAP. When your email is set up as IMAP what it does is, it will "read" what you have in your Comcast webmail (server). And for POP3, once an email comes in, it will be downloaded and saved in your local device.

I am telling you this, because if you have both of these account types configured among your devices.They might interfere with each other if the settings are incorrect.

If you still have a device that is configured in POP3, you need to make sure that it is set that it will leave a copy of messages in the server. Because if not, once an email comes in, it will be downloaded into the device that is configured in POP3 and your IMAP account will not be able to get any emails.

To further isolate the issue please check what email client are you using in your Windows laptop (Windows Live Mail, Outlook, Thunderbird) and is it still using POP3?

If yes, please check if it is configured that it will leave a copy of messages on the server. 

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Queen

Comcast Silicon Valley

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. I checked all devices and all were set up as IMAP, however, my Outlook 2013 was POP! I deleted that account and added a new account and everything is back to normal again.  All are IMAP and I am back in business!! Yeah!!!

Official Employee

Hello Kelleryjones,

That's good to know! Smiley Happy

Regards,

Queen

Comcast Silicon Valley

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

last night I updated my Mac to Yosemite.  This morning I scrolled through emails on my iphone, saw nothing that needed immediate attention and deleted them figuring I would get to them later on my Mac.  I have always done this and yet since this morning, when I delete from one of my devices, it deletes it everywhere including the server.  This is not the case with my ipad which is keeping all of the emails on the device.  My acoount on my Mac is IMAP as is the account on my phone.  What do I do??? I'm terrified I'm going to lose important emails unless I just leave them on all my devices all the time which seems unreasonable.  I am desperate!!

New Poster

Also, for the record, I have lost all of my emails that I had saved and cannot retrieve them.  I didn't change a thing and now I have lost important documentation

Official Employee

Hello sherlocksmom,

I apologize for the inconvenience. When you upgraded your system to Yosemite, your Apple Mail also updated. That being said, the latest Apple Mail is set to intelligently detect email settings. Comcast emails are now IMAP compatible that's why it detected the IMAP settings.

What IMAP does is, when you delete an email from a device (IMAP configured) it will automatically delete the email on the server an on all of the devices that is configured in IMAP.

If you don't want being in IMAP, you might need to go back to POP3 settings.

Here are the email servers for POP3;

INCOMING SERVER

Server/Hostname: mail.comcast.net

Port: 995

OUTGOING SERVER

Server/Hostname: smtp.comcast.net

Port: 465

**Make sure that SSL is selected on both incoming and outgoing

If you'll have issues in setting up your mail back to POP3, you may call Comcast Support at 1-800-COMCAST.

Regards,

Queen

Comcast Silicon Valley

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

sherlocksmom,

I understand your frustration oh so well! Hope the info on this thread clears up the problem. I was beside myself when all my emails were being deleted-

New Poster

Thank you for your explanations.  I had the same problem of dissapearing emails and after reading your post realized that I activated my android to receive emails and it does run on POP3.  I could not figure how to set it to leave a copy on the webmail; it did not give me the option where I could see it. For now I just deleted the email account off the tablet and left my web and iphone intact with the IMAP

Thanks again.

ComcastCSV wrote:

Hello,

Regards,

Queen

Premium Support

New Poster

I don't think Comcast is supporting POP3 anymore. The problems started a week ago where I am able to receive but can't send.  The problems are not only on my iPhone 6 but also Outlook. After some searches and found a notice in the Comcast site telling people to make changes. Here is the link from Comcast:  http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

What I had to chage are:

1) Change Incoming from POP3 to IMAP, Outgoing is still smtp

2) Change incoming port from 995 to 993

3) Change outgoing port from 587 to 465

Both Outlook on my PC and iPhone worked. However, I just found out that the mails are removed from the server. So I am having the same problem as many here, deleted the mail on the iPhone and no more incoming mails to my PC.

On my iPhone, I changed to the POP3 setting as you had suggested above and it won't even connect. I then change the port from 995 to 993 and still won't connect. The same connection problem having the POP3 setting on Outlook.

What to do?

New Poster

My home account as well as my mobile device are properly configured to Comcast IMAP. But, I keep getting hundreds of e-mails on home device inbox even though they have been deleted (and trash deleted) from Android mobile device. Why are deleted e-mail still popping into home PC even many hours later?

Regular Visitor

I am having a similar problem and would like help too!  My emails from Comcast load on my iphone 5S and also my Xfinity account.  However as soon as I open my email in Outlook on my desktop, the emails in both the phone & the Xfinity account disappear.  However they do remain on my desktop.  I called tech support at Comcast, they created an escalated case and no one has called me back to follow through.  VERY FRUSTRATED.  Can anyone help?

Email Expert
Moved:

Email Expert

jbraufman wrote:

I am having a similar problem and would like help too!  My emails from Comcast load on my iphone 5S and also my Xfinity account.  However as soon as I open my email in Outlook on my desktop, the emails in both the phone & the Xfinity account disappear.  However they do remain on my desktop.  I called tech support at Comcast, they created an escalated case and no one has called me back to follow through.  VERY FRUSTRATED.  Can anyone help?

Are the missing emails showing up in Outlook?  If so, it sounds like Outlook is downloading them and then deleting them from the server, which is the default action for a client like Outlook.  If it's still using POP3, and even if the account is IMAP enabled on the phone, it won't be able to "see" them because they've been downloaded to the computer.  So is your Outlook using POP settings?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Yes, it is set with POP3.  What should I do?  This is how Comcast tech support set it up.  They recently went through the set up with me when I called about this.

Email Expert

OK that explains it then.  When an email client like Outlook, Windows Live Mail or some other is set up using POP3 in the account, by default it will download anything from the Inbox on the server to your computer and then delete it from the server.  That's why the phone can't see them---because when you check your email with Outlook it grabs the emails.

If you want to be able to see your email and work with it on more than one computer or other device like a smartphone or a tablet, you need to set the account up in each one using IMAP.  Which by the way is now the default for Comcast.  That just happened over the last few months.  Before that the default was POP3.  Here are the settings for IMAP--------------------

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

The phone  is probably already using IMAP, but check it anyway.

POP3 is an older protocol, and was intended for use by people using only one computer.  And at any rate, POP doesn't support local folders.  It only works on the Inbox.  In IMAP you should see everything from any device.  Anything you do to an email on one device/computer is reflected on any others with the same account enabled on it.

I have no idea why Comcast would tell you to use POP, since they are now recommending IMAP as the preferred protocol.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

A majority of my folders and emails were deleted from my iPhone. IWhen I realized that what I was deleting on the phone were also deleting them on my computer, I deleted the email account from my phone to prevent further damage. Some of the emails I was able to recover on my computer from the recycle bin, but most all others were not. Is there a way now to recover them?

Email Expert

When you say they were deleted from the computer, do you mean you had the account enabled in an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird?  If so and the client was set up using IMAP, then yes, they would be deleted as I described in my last post above yours.  With IMAP that's what is supposed to happen.  As far as recovery--------------------

You have a feature called “Recover Deleted Items”.  It appears only in the default Full version of XC.  It is intended to recover emails that you deleted to the Trash folder.  To see it, right-click on the Trash folder.  You will see a small pop-up menu, and the last choice at the bottom is “Recover Deleted Items”.  Click on it and it will open a window showing emails that you deleted.  It is supposed to go back 15 days, but may go back farther than that.  From that window you can restore emails to any folder you have.  Select the ones you want and then click on the little folder icon at the top of that window.  That will display all your folders, and you can move your selection to any one you want.

If the emails went missing for any other reason, the feature supposedly won’t show them.  E.G:  if your deletion schedules deleted them or you have a malware infection of some kind.

Anything else you would have to call Comcast security to see if they can retrieve them-------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Thank you for your reply...

It seems my situation is unique. From my phone, I deleted several of the folders that on my computer I save emails I need to keep. I didn't need them on my phone, but still do need them on my computer. In my previous phone, deleting emils from my phone had no effect on my computer. I set up exactly the same way, so I was shocked to go into my computer email and find the folders gone.

I did go into the trash and restore what I could, but not everything was not there. I will call the number that you provided and hope they can help.

Thanks again,

hipfam

Regular Visitor

Re: Emails deleted on server and on iphone (emails deleted on client mail)

Please help. I made 2 changes recently and screwed up my email.

1. Downloaded Windows 10 (not sure if that caused issue).

2. Created IMAP for windows live mail and deleted POP account after saving it's stuff in folders.

Now... due to "sync" issues (I think) - after emails from comcast webmail populate into windows live mail... if I delete an email from Comcast web mail it deletes it from Windows Live Mail. This did not happen with POP account. They stayed in client mail.

How do I stop the server (Comcast) from deleting email from client on my PC???? I want to delete Comcast webmail down to a minimum - and keep still everything on my client mail. Do I need to cancel IMAP and go back to POP3 settings?

Steve

Email Expert

The whole point of IMAP is that everything is synced on any device that has the account enabled on it.  So if you delete a message in the webmail UI, it will also be deleted from your computer or phone etc.  IMAP also supports the use of local folders,  POP3 does not.  It works only on the Inbox.  If you want to keep messages in WLM, you need to set up one or more local folders and copy or move the messages to those, then delete them from the Inbox if you are using IMAP.  Otherwise you would have to revert to using POP3.

POP3 is really not well suited for use on more than one device for the same account.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks. That answers that. But since I only use email on my laptop PC (including on trips and vacations using WiFi or phone mobile hot spot)... I prefer the way it used to be.

Don't mind spam or ad mails deleting on both server and WLM. And I do have many storage folders in WLM to copy or move messages to... where they will be "safe" when I delete them from Comcast webmail. I just don't like the sync feature using only 1 device because I keep some items in WLM inbox for addressing in the future. If I put them in folders I will forget about answering or forwarding them later. That means I'll need to keep the webmail inbox as full as the WLM inbox instead of deleting them on server as I have been doing for over a decade.

Will try to get used to IMAP... but most likely will go back to POP3 using in-port 995 and out-port 587 (same as IMAP out-port?).

New Poster

Is there any way to retrieve a message that says it has not been downloaded from the server?  This is making me crazy.  We  don't use the computer that is the original desk top that was what I consider the "main frame" of the house and the computer I use for work will not allow me to set up comcast in outlook so I am remotely retrieving emails at all times from my laptop on comcast website or my Iphone.  Important emails between the end of 2014 and September 2015 all say they have not been downloaded from the server but there are some really old emails from 2010 on there.  I'm sure that I read the message on my phone and then never opened it on the comcast website but is it gone now forever?

Frequent Visitor

Comcast POP dedinitely doens't play well with multiple devices and a mix of IMAP & POP. Strated having trouble a couple of weeks agao. Smiley Sad

Email Expert

RandyDowns wrote:

Comcast POP dedinitely doens't play well with multiple devices and a mix of IMAP & POP. Strated having trouble a couple of weeks agao. Smiley Sad

It's not a question of Comcast--------it's a question of two very different email protocols that were developed in different times for different purposes, and with different circumstances to consider.  It doesn't matter who the email provider is, the POP vs IMAP situation is the same.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

There's something strange about how Comcast is now handling POP. I work with POP and IMAP all the time and never ran into the issues I see with Comcast. 

Normally I use POP on all my laptop & desktop and leaving messages on the server. I feel more secure with my email backups than Comcast. 

Phone clients lean towards IMAP so that's OK since I don't want to store too much on them.

Recently I have been forced to move my laptop to IMAP as 2 machines with POP had me downloading anything that was in the Inbox over and over again from the Comcast server.

Currently it seems to work with a single computer running POP and the rest IMAP

Perhaps the server is not capable of keeping track of multiple POP accounts anymore. It hasn't been a problem for the last 10 years but it looks like that IMAP is Comcast's  current favorite. 

While IMAP has cool sync issues. I prefer to keep my emails in Outlook pst but that's not possible these days. Of course, I can backup IMAP to pst but POP does that by default.

Frequent Visitor

Actually I find that my one POP account has multiple emails again so POP just doesn't work properly with Comcast. I will bite the bullet and use IMAP on all machines

I don't like IMAP allthat mush but it's the only protocol that works properly.

Regular Visitor

I hate the automatic "sync" where deleting message on Comcast server also deletes it in WLM, unless I remember to move it to a storage folder first.

The opposite is OK: Deleting from WLM deletes it on server.

Back when I had POP I used to purge emails from server knowing they would stay in WLM inbox. Now I just let server emails pile up to a big long list. Wish there was an option in comcast email tools to opt out of the "sync" with IMAP accounts (any of them.... Outlook, HotMail, Yahoo, WLM, whatever). 

Frequent Visitor

I don't like the new setup either but I am adapting. I am moving emails to folders using IMAP and that is reflected in the folders on all the IMAP clients. That's the good part of IMAP.

What I partucularly don't like about IMAP is that emails are not stored on my computers unless you export them to pst (Outlook).

New Poster

I agree Randy - POP and IMAP have been playing well for a long time and suddenly things are all messed up. I *don't * want Comcast to be my repository of mail. I like POP on the laptop and IMAP on the portable devices.

Looks like I'll need some scheme for Outlook to pull e-mail out of the IMAPped inbox and copy into local folders - without duplicating notes. Perhaps a rule or some VBA code I'll need to look into.

Frank

Frequent Visitor

I'm with you. Maybe auto-archive in Outlook will help if the output is on my machine and not Comcast's server.

New Poster

Okay I did not know my Outlook has changed to IMAP from POP. I just changed it back and all the mails I had read and deleted on my phone the past many months are now picked up by Outlook.

By the way, I kept getting this pop up warning everytime I open Outlook. Anyone know why?

Capture.JPG

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 14 in conversation