New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Emails being received but won't send out

Regular Contributor

Emails being received but won't send out

System: Windows 7 pro, Thunderbird 38.3

For some reason I am unable to send out emails and email responses the past few hours.  I have been receiving emails from my wife's work, from Xfinity, and from my Yahoo email account (the latter as a test).  But any attempts to respond to those emails or send out new ones results in the message: "Connected to smtp.comcast.net", but the email never gets sent.  The pop-up message just hangs there.  Eventually, there is a timeout.  I am using Port 465 for the outgoing server.

Regular Contributor

Re: Emails being received but won't send out

Changed the port to 587.  I still cannot send an email or email response.

New Poster

I have the same problem so from what I can see I can send mail from Apple ICloud and people recieve when in my comcast mail I cannot send but I do recieve. Comcast

gave me the port #587 for outgoing mail also but if needed use 465 and it still does not work

Regular Contributor

One more bit of information: Mozilla installed their latest version of Thunderbird, 38.3, earlier today.  At some point, my usual setting to ask before installing any Thunderbird upgrade got changed to automatically install them.  Mozilla is not the only Windows-based application to go against a user's wishes.

Anyway, I deleted the smtp password to each of two Comcast email accounts.  My initial attempt to send emai from each account was met with the request for a new password.  After entering in a new password, the emails went through.  But that's the end of the good news.  Subsequent attempts to send emails was met with the same message from above with Thunderbird hanging.

Regular Contributor

As of this morning, we can still receive emails but are unable to send.  Thunderbird is getting hung up on smtp.comcast.net.  Password has been updated.  Cable modem, router, and PC have all been power-cycled.  Not that I would expect that to fix the problem, but that's usually Comcast's weak response to any home user problem.  I even deleted the Thunderbird cache files.

Does anyone have suggestions for working around this, because I have no idea when this will get fixed by Comcast?

Regular Contributor

Just finished an 80 minute chat session.  All attempts to correct this issue, including setting up IMAP for the incoming server (why?), failed.

In order to eliminate Thunderbird as the source of the issue, I have downloaded Opera email and plan to try that.  If it works, then Thunderbird 38.3 may be the source of our issues (just installed yesterday).  If Opera doesn't work, then Comcast is the culprit.

Regular Contributor

Similar problems with Opera email client.  The test email is just sitting in the Outbox folder and has not made its way to the Sent folder.  Opera, like Thunderbird, receives emails just fine.  Sending an email is another story.

This almost certainly is a Comcast issue.

Regular Contributor

Cable modem rebooted for the 2nd time this morning.  Our area is hit and miss with Internet service.  Most times, we go several weeks without an outage.  Sometimes, we'll have a few outages in the same day but recover quickly.  Every 2-4 months, we'll have an outage that needs to be called in.  /rant

Anyway, upon the last cable modem reboot, Thunderbird is now working again as far as sending out emails.  It takes about 10 seconds before the client sends out an email.  At the same time, I am noticing it takes about 6-7 minutes to receive an email sent from my Yahoo account (Yahoo receives emails from Comcast almost instantaneously).  This sounds similar to the sluggish issues reported by others in the SF Bay Area.