Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Emails Trapped on Server

Frequent Visitor

Emails Trapped on Server

I have about 35 emails that are "stuck" on the Comcast email server and will not download when I 'F9' (Send/Receive) in Microsoft Outlook.

These emails are in the date range of July 18th through July 24th.

All emails BEFORE that date range have successfully downloaded to Outlook and deleted off the server.  All emails AFTER that date range have successfully downloaded to Outlook and deleted off the server.

I've tried to mark them read, unread, and move to and from a folder, but nothing seems to get them to trigger to download?

Can someone point me to a fix for this issue?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Emails Trapped on Server

I have same problem.  My date range is May 20, 2014, through July 31, 2014.  Ever get any solution from Comcast?

Gold Problem Solver

I would disconnect you coax, then open Oitlook. See if the emails appear. Then reconnect and see if they get downloaded.
Also could be a server temporary problem.
Which browse/version are you using? Have toy tried a different browser, just to test?

IF USING Internet Explorer version 10or 11 make sure Compatibility View in on. ( Tools> Compatibility Vuew settings.

Sometimes if there is a server down, you call Comcast and thet can confirm if that is the case.
CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

Can't be a temporary problem with a server.  The problem has persisted many months.

Browser should be irrelevant... no?  I'm accessing email server via POP3 and IMAP clients... Mozilla Thunderbird (POP3 only) and Outlook 2013 (both POP3 and IMAP).

Tried disconnecting cable service and modems.  Fixed nothing.  Problem persists. 

To repeat... I cannot download a set of emails received on the Comcast server (and still visible on Comcast webmail) during a specific time perior--May 20 and August 1 of last year, in my case... other times for others with the same problem.  I can see the "hostage" emails on webmail and on IMAP part of Outlook... and I can even "subscribe" to a special IMAP folder I set up with them in Outlook and then copy them over to my Outlook POP3 inbox.  But my goal is to get them over to Thunderbird's POP3 files, and Thunderbird (a 32-bit client) can't deal with my 64-bit/Windows 7 Outlook PST files.  So I can't export them over to Thunderbird from Outlook.

I need Thunderbird simply to download the emails directly from Comcast servers!!.

Bronze Problem Solver

Whowantstoknow wrote:

Can't be a temporary problem with a server.  The problem has persisted many months.

Browser should be irrelevant... no?  I'm accessing email server via POP3 and IMAP clients... Mozilla Thunderbird (POP3 only) and Outlook 2013 (both POP3 and IMAP).

Tried disconnecting cable service and modems.  Fixed nothing.  Problem persists. 

To repeat... I cannot download a set of emails received on the Comcast server (and still visible on Comcast webmail) during a specific time perior--May 20 and August 1 of last year, in my case... other times for others with the same problem.  I can see the "hostage" emails on webmail and on IMAP part of Outlook... and I can even "subscribe" to a special IMAP folder I set up with them in Outlook and then copy them over to my Outlook POP3 inbox.  But my goal is to get them over to Thunderbird's POP3 files, and Thunderbird (a 32-bit client) can't deal with my 64-bit/Windows 7 Outlook PST files.  So I can't export them over to Thunderbird from Outlook.

I need Thunderbird simply to download the emails directly from Comcast servers!!.

Below is a copy/paste that I think might explain the problem. Your best "solution", I think, is to enable IMAP in Thunderbird, and save the "missing" emails to wherever you want them.

A Unique ID is assigned to each message stored on a POP3 server. When email clients leave messages on the server they download the UIDs for every message on the server every time they check email, save that list of UIDs, and next time only download the messages that have UIDs that haven't been seen previously. So, if you start using a new email client, or if files used by your current email client to store the UIDs get mucked up, the email client will download all the messages on the server. If the UIDs of the messages stored on the server change, an email client will also download all the messages on the server, and that's almost certainly what happened here. Comcast have acknowledged that they make changes that would result in new message UIDs for some customers. Yeah, that sucks, and I have no idea how necessary it for new UIDs to be assigned, but the good news is that once you let your email client download all the messages on the server things should go back to normal.

When Comcast move accounts to new servers, they can't/won't move the old UIDs to the new servers. When they move accounts now they make the old messages invisible to POP clients so users won't be downloading gazillions of saved/old messages when their accounts get moved to new servers, figuring, I assume, that doing it that way causes the least amount of pain, overall, for their users. I'd guess that they're right about that. It's possible for Comcast to override that "make the old messages invisible" setting, but the results have been inconsistent when the mods here have given it a shot. You could ask cc_xc, a Comcast mod, to give it a go via a PM (Private Message). I think this should be the link to send him a PM:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/4756697

If he replies there's an envelope icon in the upper right of the Forums message list window that will indicate that you have received a PM. Will you let us know how it goes?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks so much.  The suggestion of using IMAP on Thunderbird to download copies of the captive emails and then copy them over to the POP portion of Thunderbird did the trick.

Stupidly, I had already done the same with Outlook 2013 but then got puzzled how to export the POP copies from Outlook over to Thunderbird, the Outlook I was using being a 64-bit version running on Windows 7 and the Thunderbird being a native 32-bit program, which can't recognize the exported 64-bit-generated PST file from Outlook.  A realy Homer-Simpson "DOH!" moment for me when I read the suggestion simply to use Thunderbird for that function. 

Incidentally, I used the same process to download copies of my sent mail from Comcast's webmail client to my Thunderbird POP files.

Thanks so much for the help.  Kudos.