Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Email on server is now downloading again, thousands of messages.......

Contributor

Email on server is now downloading again, thousands of messages.......

Can someone tell me what changed overnight to cause every email on your servers to download into Windows live mail whether or not it is marked read? I awoked to thousands of old messages being downloaded  - not the first time it's happened.

Email Expert

Re: Email on server is now downloading again, thousands of messages.......

This is a little confusing.  Are you saying the messages had been deleted but are still showing up in WLM?  Or is there something else going on?  Can you clarify the situation?

Messages being read or unread has nothing to do with them being downloaded.  Are you using POP3 or IMAP in WLM?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

I'm using POP3 to download mail to WLM. When I set up this laptop and the pop3, it downloaded all of the messages which was fine, I wanted them in more than one place.  I have it set to leave a copy on the server. It downloads new messages only, usually. 

Last night for no apparent reason it polled for new mail and started to download all of the ones stored on the server, again, 10,000 or more, (I don't delete much) some of them three years old, so now I have to go through the messages and delete all the duplicates. The only way I could stop it was to stop polling and go to the web server and delete everything that was there so there was nothing to download.  What happened for it to start downloading everything again?

Email Expert

See if this short article helps your situation.  It seems Windows mail programs have a history of this kind of thing--------------------

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/advice/10976339/Why-have-all-my-emails-been-duplicated.html

I have WLM on my laptop and have not had this issue myself.  At least not yet.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

That explains that it does happen but not exactly why, and their solutions, (deleting all messages on the web server) is counterintuitive because I want them there to access when I'm not at home, so not really a solution.  This has happened before in Outlook Express too so I am inclinded to think that something happened on the server end and not the application end.  Can anyone at Comcast confirm that nothing was changed on the server to intitiate that download of duplicate messages?

Contributor

Just bumping this for a reply from Comcast - can any one verify that nothing was done to the server to cause all of my emails to download from the server en masse when they had already been POP'd?  Several thousand, sometimes two copies of them were downloaded. Very messy and the only way to stop it was to delete all the messages on the server that I wanted left there on purpose.