Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Email going to SPAM folder and shouldn't be

Frequent Visitor

Email going to SPAM folder and shouldn't be

Why does Comcast send email to my SPAM folder from a number of my contact addresses?  Yesterday I had one of my contacts send me three emails during the day.  Two were in my Inbox and one in the SPAM folder.  I also had another one of my contacts in the SPAM folder.

I do have one filter set up but that is for addresses ending in .tk (or .tk>) and the three characters .tk is not in either one of those email addresses sent to the SPAM folder.

It's sporadic but this does happen for me often.  Why?

I also notice that sometime my filter works and sometimes it doesn't.  I don't mind if the filter sometimes doesn't work but it's real annoying when legitimate addresses in my contact list show up in the SPAM folder when it shouldn't.

Why?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Email going to SPAM folder and shouldn't be

The only permanent solution is to move your email to a more competent provider, like Gmail, Outlook.com, or even Yahoo. Comcast Security Assurance might be able to unblock a sender (call them at 1-888-565-4329), but chances are, before your know it, they will be blocked again.

Also be aware that if email you send is addressed to another ISP, and Comcast decides it's spam, they just throw it away. There's no bounce message, no notice to you, and no notice to the intended recipient. It's despicable, but that's what this company does.

Having a sender's address in your Contacts won't help. Some mail programs and systems use that to decide if a message is Spam, but Comcast does not.

You can stay with Comcast to "get your money's worth" and try to reform them, or you can switch to a service that attempts to handle its customer's email in a competent and ethical manner.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks BruceW.

Not really what I was expecting but I appreciate the reply. If this is the case then Comcasts email service is horrible.  I guess I'll start looking for another emial provider.

Thanks again.

Official Employee

JRROSCO wrote:

Why does Comcast send email to my SPAM folder from a number of my contact addresses?  Yesterday I had one of my contacts send me three emails during the day.  Two were in my Inbox and one in the SPAM folder.  I also had another one of my contacts in the SPAM folder.

I do have one filter set up but that is for addresses ending in .tk (or .tk>) and the three characters .tk is not in either one of those email addresses sent to the SPAM folder.

It's sporadic but this does happen for me often.  Why?

I also notice that sometime my filter works and sometimes it doesn't.  I don't mind if the filter sometimes doesn't work but it's real annoying when legitimate addresses in my contact list show up in the SPAM folder when it shouldn't.

Why?

JRROSCO -

If you can private message me the sender email addresses, I can take a look.

ComcastDaveL

Private Messages (PM's)

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as `PM's'. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The gray envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.

To open a PM to read it, double click on the envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

This is marked as "Resolved"?! I'm having the same problem and I see as of today (11/16/2015) that 585 other people have read this too, which means that LOTS of people are having this problem!  A Comcast employee telling one person to send a private message about one particular email address does not help anyone else!

I've just noticed within the last few weeks that I'm getting emails quietly sent to my Spam folder - no notice, no error and just by luck I've recently found them by browsing through Spam. Mostly Gmail addresses are going in there (including people from my family who I've been emailing with for years!) but now I see some businesses have sent me emails - businesses who I have emailed with in the past too, are now going into the spam folder!

This is a major problem! Today for the first time I saw one email that produced a Mail Delivery failure message (but THAT email was hidden in my spam folder too!) and it mentioned a DMARC error.  The explanation for that was impossible to understand and seemed to blame the sender of the emails, which means there's nothing I can do about it.

This is obviously something new that's changed with Comcast, as these are email addresses that have been approved in the past and are now suddenly not getting through!

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem. I've just recently retrieved several "marked as spam" messages from the spam folder (messages from a friend who's always gotten through before). I know only to check the email as "mark as not spam" which then belatedly puts it into my inbox. How else can I get Comcast to actually route emails from this sender to my inbox????

Gold Problem Solver

cyrano1 wrote: ... How else can I get Comcast to actually route emails from this sender to my inbox????

Give Comcast Security Assurance a call and ask them to help you with this: 1-888-565-4329 (from http://constantguard.comcast.net/dedicated-support/). Note that this is NOT one of the general customer service numbers.

The first-line reps there are sometimes not very helpful. If so, be persistent, and keep at them until you get a satisfactory answer.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Bruce! I tried the number twice and it hung up on me so I used the familiar Xfinity "help" number and got someone who appeared to be confused but when we finally were on the same page he had  me DISABLE THE SPAM FILTER, then had me add another filter which directs emails from the person whose emails are being labeled as spam to go to my inbox.

Disabling the spam filter, of course, doesn't resolve the issue and then adding an additional filter to allow that email address would seem pointless given that the lack of a spam filter would presumably let anything sent go directly to my inbox. Which leads me to believe Comcast knows their system is a mess.

I think I might go to the trouble of ditching my Comcast address but keep the spam filter disabled. Then open a new personal email account with gmail and let gmail take care of any spam. I currently use a gmail address for business accounts, and it appears to respond better to spam filtering.

Sad since I seldom get spam on the Comcast account. But now that they're starting to throw out mail from my trusted contacts I need to do something....

Another issue: I thought of updating my contact list which was completely out of date (I use Thunderbird desktop and seldom go to Comcast online) so I created a CSV file of my current contacts from Thunderbird, then went to Comcast, deleted the contacts on their site. Then tried to get the CSV file recognized. No go: "invalid". Googled a fix and found that PLEX handles their email stuff, so went to their site, used my Comcast address/password, got on and it accepted and loaded the CSV file into my Comcast account. Contacts now updated.  So again I repeat: Comcast email is a mess.

Gold Problem Solver

cyrano1 wrote: ... I tried the number twice and it hung up on me ...

The FCC has rules that require them to answer calls, but unfortunately does not have explicit rules preventing them from disconnecting whenever they please. Comcast has found this loophole to be a great time and money saver!

... then had me add another filter ...

As you suspect, that's pointless. Once the spam filter is turned off, EVERYTHING is delivered to the Inbox if it is delivered at all.

... I think I might go to the trouble of ditching my Comcast address ...

Forum regulars often recommend that customers use an email provider independent of their ISP. That avoids the hassle of switching email addresses when an ISP change is necessary, and in the case of Comcast email, means you are almost certainly switching to a more ethical and competent provider. Good job finding the Plaxo workaround to the "please specify a valid file" bug. That's been broken for months.

In a nutshell, Comcast email is a mess because Comcast is a mess.

Frequent Visitor

Earlier quote from Bruce: "Having a sender's address in your Contacts won't help. Some mail programs and systems use that to decide if a message is Spam, but Comcast does not."  

After looking at Comcast's options, they have an "either/or" system. We can (1) have all mail rejected except those in our contact list, OR (2) receive all emails and let their recently broken spam filter do its job without automatically filtering those in our contact list as "allowed".

What would it be difficult for Comcast to write a few lines of code to fix this? - or at least fix the broken email filters which are supposed to handle these issues?

Got my first spam message this morning since I had to disable Comcast's spam filter in order to receive emails. Someone from Bulgaria posing as facebook. Should I open the link?? Smiley Happy....