New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Email filters - Keep vs Move-to-Inbox

ANSWERED
Contributor

Email filters - Keep vs Move-to-Inbox

I've had problems with Xfinity Connect filter rules failing.  The situation has actually improved quite a bit in the new versions, though some of the rules (e.g. file into folders) seem to fail at times.

One rule was failing to consistently do what I intended, namely keep mail from a specified sender from going to Spam.  In an attempt to remedy this, I added the action "Keep" to the already-existing action of 'Move to folder Inbox."   And it seems to be working since the change about a month ago (I get one email from this sender a week), but I am getting two copies of each of each time, presumably becauase using both Keep and Move to Inbox causes a duplicate to be created.

Is there any difference between Keep and Move to Inbox?  Is one "better" than the other?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: Email filters - Keep vs Move-to-Inbox

When it comes to spam it could actually be helping. It all depends on what order the filter hits vs the spam rules. 

If it seems to be working better, AND you can live with the duplicates, then you can leave it be.

If you'd like, you can PM me the information about what email is getting marked as spam and I can work with our Spam prevention team to see if there is something more we can do about it for you. 

View answer in context
Official Employee

Keep is doing exactly what you surmised... creating a copy. Since you are sending the email to your inbox you are getting a duplicate. Typically the rule fires from the inbox when moving to a lower folder, but in your case you are moving it back into the inbox. 

So yes, by using Keep you are essentially creating a new action called "Copy to folder"

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Thanks.  So are you suggesting that it's just a coincidence that the rule has been working better (i.e., keeping that Sender out of Spam) ever since I added the Keep condition?  And that I should eliminate the Keep action and just retain File to folder Inbox to avoid the duplicate?

Official Employee

When it comes to spam it could actually be helping. It all depends on what order the filter hits vs the spam rules. 

If it seems to be working better, AND you can live with the duplicates, then you can leave it be.

If you'd like, you can PM me the information about what email is getting marked as spam and I can work with our Spam prevention team to see if there is something more we can do about it for you. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Makes sense.  Right now I'm OK with the duplicates since it's only once a week.  But thanks anyway for the offer to work with the spam prevention team on it.  If these later start going to spam again despite the "double-filter," can I still PM you, or should I start a new thread first?  (If the answer is dependent on how soon the problem resurfaces, please give me some general timing guideines.)  Thanks!

Official Employee

You can PM me, but if possible, please reference this thread. 

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.