Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Email doesn't work, no help available from Comcast on any level

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

Email doesn't work, no help available from Comcast on any level

Comcast's email is horrible. It's not really an email program, but a dysfunctional, technical excuse for email service Comcast seems to begrudgingly provide to customers.

I'm forced to use Comcast's online email because no third party email client can connect to Comcast's email. So, it's not only dysfunctional to the customer, but it's impossible for the customer to make it work properly.

Comcast will offer no support. Oh, and that "Go to the Comcast store for more support" is a lie. The Comcast store doesn't provide support of any kind. They're just there to give out modems to new customers or exchange modems. It's a big waste of money to even have those stores, but it looks like someone's ego needed to have stores with a big Comcast sign. 

I am searching the web for help. Here's the post I am putting on every tech support site I can find:

" I am having the same problem since 12/3/15 about 5:00 PM EST. That's five days ago.  ](*,)

Thunderbird 38.4.0, Windows 7 64bit, Firefox 42.0

Comcast refuses to offer any support. The techs say if they help anyone with a third party mail client they will be in trouble per corporate. I, like millions of others, hate Comcast.

Out of desperation, I tried to use a different email client, eM Client, but that will not connect to Comcast either. Did I already say how much I hate Comcast? I can't repeat it enough.

I have tried various clients, port configurations, SMTP, POP 3, secure, unsecure and nothing seems to work.

To add insult to injury, Comcast shrugs and claims I should be able to sent email directly from their website. I can do that, but of course Comcast does not provide any way to format the messages, so they arrive in a tiny font, compressed on a page. It's basically illegible. But, it is true that Comcast "provides" email, and it satisfies that check box for a service they are required to provide."

Accepted Solution

Re: Email doesn't work, no help available from Comcast on any level

EUREKA!

The Comcast technical people called me today. We have discovered my problem with Thunderbird and it is now working.

Today's version of Thunderbird is 38.4.0. All help for Comcast & Thunderbird is based on Thunderbird version 25.0.0. Someone should update this info.

Maybe since December 3rd 2015, imap is no longer supported on Thunderbird 38.4.0 with Windows 7 & Norton. IMAP not an option. The default server is POP mail server and there is no way to change it.

Correct settings:

Server name: POP.comcast.net

Port: 995

User name: everything before "@comcast.net"

Connection security: SSL/TLS

Authentication method: Normal Password

Outgoing server: smtp.comcast.net

Port: 465

That's all I need right now. I have a lot to catch up now that I can get my mail.

I don't know why the other email clients did not work. I don't know if there was anything wrong on Comcast's end. I know I tried mail.comcast.net that was recommended for POP, but it does not work.

Today, this is what is working for me.

Thank you.

View answer in context
Gold Problem Solver

In order to help you, can you please reply with detailed answers to the following questions?

Which email programs have you tried that did not work?  AND which version of each email program?

Post, after the email program, the complete list of settings you have set up for that particular program?

Which browser/ version are you currently using?  Have you cleared the browser cache?  If not, do do now.

Which other browsers/ versions have you tried?

Below is a clickable link to the recommended email settings for most email programs.  Please review your settings against them, with your choice of email programs.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/E-Mail-Client-Settings-customer-generat...

I am am currently set up to use all of these email programs:  Xfinity Connect, Outlook 2010, Gmail, Mail (iPad). It doesn't make sense that nothing is working for yiu.  Most likely, there is one change that is being missed that is needed to be fixed.

We will work with you, but you need to help us to do so by providing the information we need.

You are not stuck with having to use Comcast email, many, many customers never use Xfinity Connect.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for responding.

Long ago I used Office Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail.

Two years ago I began using Mozilla Thunderbird. I am now using version 38.4.0 , Firefox 42.0

I have Norton from Comcast

Thank you for the link. I already have that information. I have tried all those settings.

Here is where it is now:

Server Settings

Server name: mail.comcast.net

User name: xxxxxxxx@comcast.net

Port 110

Connection security: none

Authentication method: password transmitted insecurely

Outgoing server: Comcast

SMTP.comcast.net

port 465

Username: xxxxxxx@comcast.net

Authentication method: no authentication

Connection security: ssl/tls

When I tell it to get mail, this is what I get:

"Enter your password for xxxxxxx@comcast.net on mail.comcast.net:"

This is not the way I set it up. Three days ago I removed all passwords and reset my Browser and emptied all cookies, etc to attempt to fix Thunderbird. Comcast also had me set a new password on my xfinity email, update all my software, empty cache and cookies for every browser, etc.

I enter a password.

" Sending of username did not succeed. Mail server mail.comcast.net responded: authentication failed: LOGIN failed"

OK, I will try again with a different password. "Enter new password"

" Sending of username did not succeed. Mail server mail.comcast.net responded: authentication failed: LOGIN failed"

No password will work.

---------

I have been trying so many configurations and different email clients that I can't remember them all. The last thing I tried was eM Client, and I get similar error messages. These last settings I get no message and no response from the program.

----------

eMClient

xxxxxxxx@comcast.net: Connecting to xxxxxx@comcast.net failed

SMTP An attempt to connect to xxxxxxx@comcast.net failed. This could be caused by temporary server unavailability or incorrect settings. Do you want to check the settings?

but, nothing will allow me to open the settings or look at other tabs or hide or cancel the message. I just wait for it to go away and get this:

Password required

Server says "LOGIN failed"

Gold Problem Solver

TB is one I don't use, so bear with us while we research this for you.

Have you read this?

https://www.34sp.com/kb/72/how-to-setup-email-on-thunderbird

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Service Expert

This is what I have for Thunderbird:

thunderbird 1 settings.JPG

thunderbird 2 settings.JPG

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

AGAIN,

Thanks my buddy!  😀

Carole

Email Expert

My settings in Thunderbird v38 are the same as Again's, with two exceptions;  where it asks for user ID mine only reflects that portion to the left of the @ symbol, and not @comcast.net.  Also, my smtp port is set at 465,  not 587.  Some people can use one but not the other.  I have another Comcast account configured also in TB and it uses 587---------go figure.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Yes, thank you. I have read that.

Regular Contributor

Thank you Again.

I think your settings are what I had originally. I plugged them in and tried again, but they still don't work.

I tried Latoque's version (below). Still no luck.

Service Expert

At this point, I have just two suggestions to try.

One, remove the account in Thunderbird and try setting it up again.

Completely uninstall Thunderbird and delete it from your computer, and re-download the install file and install it and try setting up your account.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Thank you Latoque.It was a good idea but I'm still having the same problems. 

Regular Contributor

Again, I think your suggestion is my only option. I was reluctant to do that because I need to keep the old emails and contacts I have in that program.

Is there a way to do that before I delete and reinstall Thunderbird and set up my Comcast account from scratch?

Gold Problem Solver

PARKER,

I have escalated your Thread to Comcast asking for help for you.  I have told them that three Experts are now trying yo help you, but that the COMCAST TEAM must get involved and help yo solve these problems for you.

Carole

Admin1

Hi parker121,

Apologies for the email issues. I'm having a high level technical support team take a look at this and see if there's anything we can to help. We'll contact you to go over this with you. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Thank you for responding.

Someone did call me at the most inopportune time.  I told her I wanted to talk with her but I could not do it right now. She was insulted.

Later, I tried to get into my Comcast account and it was set to automatically log me out every time I logged myself in. Maybe that was a coincidence, or am I being paranoid thinking your tech is teaching me a lesson?

I finally got into my online account after a few phone calls and some changes made by the Comcast agent.

I set up Oulook to try to connect to Comcast. It's not my preference for an email client, but I am desperate since I have not had an email client for 8 days now. Here's the results:

Task 'Checking for new mail in subscribed folders on imap.comcast.net.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook is unable to download folder (null) from the IMAP e-mail server for account imap.comcast.net. Error: Unable to connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Task 'imap.comcast.net: Folder:Inbox Check for new mail.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook is unable to download folder Inbox from the IMAP e-mail server for account imap.comcast.net. Error: Unable to connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Service Expert

Check your settings here.  That error suggests you don't have My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication under More settings; tick Use same settings as my incoming mail server .

Email Client Settings

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Admin1

Do you have a preferred contact time? I can mark it to call you during a certain time. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Thank you. I haven't used Outlook in a while. When it didn't work I deleted it.

So, with your information, I set it up again exactly as you suggested. Now I get this:

Task 'Checking for new mail in subscribed folders on imap.comcast.net.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook is unable to download folder (null) from the IMAP e-mail server for account imap.comcast.net. Error: Unable to connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Task 'imap.comcast.net: Folder:Inbox Check for new mail.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook is unable to download folder Inbox from the IMAP e-mail server for account imap.comcast.net. Error: Unable to connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Regular Contributor

ComcastZach, I am usually available in the mornings. Thank you.

Admin1

Thank you. I've added mornings as the best contact time. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

ComcastOutlook settings.jpg

Regular Contributor

EUREKA!

The Comcast technical people called me today. We have discovered my problem with Thunderbird and it is now working.

Today's version of Thunderbird is 38.4.0. All help for Comcast & Thunderbird is based on Thunderbird version 25.0.0. Someone should update this info.

Maybe since December 3rd 2015, imap is no longer supported on Thunderbird 38.4.0 with Windows 7 & Norton. IMAP not an option. The default server is POP mail server and there is no way to change it.

Correct settings:

Server name: POP.comcast.net

Port: 995

User name: everything before "@comcast.net"

Outgoing server: smtp.comcast.net

Port: 465

That's all I need right now. I have a lot to catch up now that I can get my mail.

I don't know why the other email clients did not work. I don't know if there was anything wrong on Comcast's end. I know I tried mail.comcast.net that was recommended for POP, but it does not work.

Today, this is what is working for me.

Thank you.

Gold Problem Solver

Parker,

HURRAY!  I am so happy yo hear that your problem was resolved by tgecComcast Team.

My NEXT email will be to request that the settings fir Thunderbird are quickly updated in thus Thread:>>>

LINK: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/E-Mail-Client-Settings-customer-generat...

Carole

Regular Contributor

Of course it was too good to be true. Look what Comcast sent me today:

Your Comcast.net email just got better
We’ve made some improvements to our email experience. You can now sync your email to all of your devices – phone, PC and tablet – just by changing your email settings from POP to IMAP.

It’s quick and easy to update your email settings. All you need is your Comcast email address and password to get started.

Is this going to put me back to where I was two weeks ago?
Is anyone going to give me credit for not having access to my email for two weeks?
Does the customer experience mean anything to Comcast?
Email Expert

Unfortunately no.  Comcast doesn't give credits for lack of access to email, only for when your internet service is down.  They consider things like the email, calendar and address book to be "extras".

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Oh, so partial service is treated as if it were full service Comcast, right? Even though I pay for full service from the only Internet Service Provider available (thanks to my tax dollars), everyone else can have full access for the same price as my partial service.

Yeah, sounds legit.

Gold Problem Solver

Parker,

I would send a Private Message to ComcastZach who was working with you.

Carole

Regular Contributor

For a minute there, I thought Comcast had actually been willing to resolve this. Of course, no one admits any wrongdoing here, no refunds for lack of service or admission that they accidentally blocked my email while installing a new server. I just about forgot to say what I say every day of my life: I hate Comcast.

Service Expert

parker121, I'm sorry you're so angry, but I suspect a bit of that anger comes from all of the furstration you've had over the last couple of weeks trying to get this resolved.  Can't say I blame you.

In the long run, though, your problem was resolved, but I see no thanks to the people that spent time trying to help you resolve it.  It isn't Comcast's fault that Thunderbird made changes to the client, although Comcast does need to keep their client versions settings up-to-date.  But also, you weren't denied access to your email; email was available to you via the web portal all along, even if not to your liking.  Granted, Comcast's webmail isn't the snazziest with all the bells and whistles available in Outlook or Thunderbird.  Blame Zimbra, because it's their client.  I don't know how you have your webmail settings set up, but it almost sounds as though you've been using plain test and not HTML where formatting is available.  Once more, not with the best bells and whistles, but it's there.

So, I don't "get" where Comcast wasn't willing to resolve the issues you had with Thunderbird.  ComcastZach, CCCarole, Latoque, myself, and tech support all tried to resolve this for you.  I even went so far as to give you images of what MY settings were, even if they ultimately didn't work for you.  So, I don't see where people weren't willing to help.  And, FWIW, no one is going to force you to use IMAP unless you want to do so.

In the long run, I guess your customer experience here wasn't triple A Gold Star rated because it wasn't solved in the first post.  That's okay.  I agree that in that line Comcast has a way to go, but we're trying and getting better, even if we do have a long way to go.  [Oh, and only ComcastZach is an employee; CCCarole, Latoque, and I are just customers like yourself.]

I really hope things start looking up for you and that your frustration and anger pass soon.  And I hope that you don't have any more email client issues.

May this Holiday/Holy Day season be good to you.  Peace.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

My evaluation of Comcast is not based on this thread. What you are not taking into consideration is the number of calls I made, the hours I spent on the phone, the numerous requests for help I made and the trip to the Comcast store and the countless hours I spent trying to find a solution.

Yes, when I finally got here, my issue got some attention and with your help I finally got a competent technician willing to give me five minutes to resolve the issue.

Also, please know this: Thunderbird was working fine and NO UPDATES, NO CHANGES were made by Thunderbird or by me. Comcast changed something and multiple mail clients would no longer work.

You and the Comcast Corporation are focused on the result, and as long as you can make money or check off the box that says "resolved", you think the job is done and expect a high five.

Comcast's policy is to deny any help to customers if it's a third party problem. What if multiple third party software/hardware does not interract with Comcast? The customer must go to enormous lengths to get any help, because every Comcast employee has a ready excuse not to help the customer, sanctioned by the Comcast Corporation. It's in the comcast employee's best interest to simply say "we don't fix that" without understanding it's more than one third party. There is a wall of "no" to get to anyone that will listen.

Look at the whole of what I had to do to get a simple answer. That is the Comcast Customer Experience, and it's miserable. I had the same problem with Roku, but I simply threw that in a drawer and gave up.

I hate Comcast. I hate the greed, the lack of customer care and the abuse of customer's time and daily insults by the corporate high-handed attitude.

New Poster

parker121 wrote:

My evaluation of Comcast is not based on this thread. What you are not taking into consideration is the number of calls I made, the hours I spent on the phone, the numerous requests for help I made and the trip to the Comcast store and the countless hours I spent trying to find a solution.

Yes, when I finally got here, my issue got some attention and with your help I finally got a competent technician willing to give me five minutes to resolve the issue.

Also, please know this: Thunderbird was working fine and NO UPDATES, NO CHANGES were made by Thunderbird or by me. Comcast changed something and multiple mail clients would no longer work.

You and the Comcast Corporation are focused on the result, and as long as you can make money or check off the box that says "resolved", you think the job is done and expect a high five.

Comcast's policy is to deny any help to customers if it's a third party problem. What if multiple third party software/hardware does not interract with Comcast? The customer must go to enormous lengths to get any help, because every Comcast employee has a ready excuse not to help the customer, sanctioned by the Comcast Corporation. It's in the comcast employee's best interest to simply say "we don't fix that" without understanding it's more than one third party. There is a wall of "no" to get to anyone that will listen.

Look at the whole of what I had to do to get a simple answer. That is the Comcast Customer Experience, and it's miserable. I had the same problem with Roku, but I simply threw that in a drawer and gave up.

I hate Comcast. I hate the greed, the lack of customer care and the abuse of customer's time and daily insults by the corporate high-handed attitude.

I AGREE 100%!! COMCAST IS A TOTAL JOKE THE JOKES ON US. IT MUST BE YOUR TO STUPID TO FOLLOW THERE "EXPERT" #1 RATED CUSTOMER SERVICE. PROVIDED THE PROBLEM IS  NOT ON THERE LIST OF THINGS THEY DONT COVER TO BEGIN WITH. AFTER PHONE CALLS AND HOURS AND HOURS OF FUTILITY YOUR LEFT CONFUSED AND WONDERING WHAT YOU MUST BE DOING WRONG. COMCASTS REAL EXPERTISE IS ADVERTISMENT/MARKETING/SALES AND THEY ARE GOOD AT IT. A VERY SIMPLE EXAMPLE IS INTERNET SPEED. IT DOESN'T EVEN COME CLOSE. .THE EXPERT TECHNICANS RESULTS COME FROM A THIRD PARTY SOURCE SO NOT ACCEPTED AS VALID, IAM BEING SARCASTIC BUT I'M NOT LAUGHING. POLITICANS PROVIDE ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS IN A SIMILAR FASHION "GENERALLY SPEAKING" OF COURSE. ON THE UPSIDE IT WON'T LAST, ITS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME TO MANY CUSTOMERS ARE NOT IGNORANT AND KNOW THEY ARE PAYING GOOD MONEY AND THE 'SERVICE PROVIDED' IS INADEQUATE. GOOD BUSINESS IS GOOD BUSINESS TALK IS CHEAP,STOCK HOLDERS GET READY TO SELL SOONER OR LATER THIS COMPANY IS GOING TO CRASH AND BURN

New Poster

I have a Samsung S6. Comcast Email doesn't work most of the time. Says "sending failed". Incoming mail is sporadic at best. Went to Verizon but no help. They even gave me a new phone but same issues.  Comcast tried but deny there is a problem.  Emails come in fine on gmail. I even had my comcast emails forwarded to gmail and they come in there fine. The comcast emails come in fine on my iPad.  It is an android problem,   I like the Comcast email format the best but am forced to use gmail.  I will probably drop my Xfinity bundle and go with AT&T for Internet, TV and phone since Comcast  continues to deny there is a wide spread problem. Either that or they just don't care.  

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 7 in conversation