Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Email being deleted despite my preferences set to NEVER delete.

Frequent Visitor

Email being deleted despite my preferences set to NEVER delete.

I have my email preferences set up to NEVER delete email from my Inbox.  However, for the past couple years the email in my Inbox disappears after two weeks.  ALWAYS.  I never have more than two weeks' worth of emails in my Inbox, even though I check my preferences over and over again, and they are set to NEVER delete.  I've tried to contact Comcast customer service about this before, several times, but they were never helpful, so I've had to learn to live with it.

TODAY I log into my email, and for some reason I only have TWO DAYS worth of emails in my Inbox!!  The rest of it, over 50 emails, is just GONE.  What the heck is going on?  (It is NOT my Outlook Express, before anybody suggests that.  I set that up over a year ago, and it is set up to LEAVE the original emails in my Comcast account.  So it's NOT that.)

Is there anybody at Comcast that can figure this out for me?

Email Expert

Re: Email being deleted despite my preferences set to NEVER delete.

Do you have the account enabled on another device like a smartphone or tablet that might be downloading and then deleting the messages from the server?  If it's not that, change your password and secret queustion and answer.  Then run a scan of your system with your A/V software to see if it finds anything wrong.  It's possible the account has been compromised, or you picked up some malware.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

No.  This has been going on for a couple years now.  It's nothing new.  The messages are being deleted after two weeks.  Exactly two weeks.  Consistently.  I never have an email older than two weeks old in my Inbox.  It is clearly a Comcast/Xfinity issue.  Today all of my emails older than two days was deleted, so that timing is new...but other than that I've been dealing with this issue for a long time.  I routinely run my A/V software, and as I said this is an ongoing issue, so it's not a virus, malware, etc.

Here's a screen grab of my preferences.  It's clearly set to never delete, but my account behaves as though it were set to delete Inbox after two weeks.  It's incredibly frustrating.

Email Expert

I'm going to suggest a couple of things you can do;

1)  I would change the password anyway.  Even if only to eliminate the cause being a hacked account.  Then call Comcast security and ask them to look at your account and see if they can spot anything wrong.

2)  As a test, enable the account in a desktop email client like Mozilla Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail.  They are free downloads.  When you use a client, the settings you use in it will override the Comcast preferences.  If it's just some glitch with your account, hopefully that will at least side-step the problem.  If not, then there is something else going on.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon