Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Email Timing Out For "Security" Reasons.

Regular Visitor

Email Timing Out For "Security" Reasons.

I logged a complaint about this before, and "solved" it on this site via posting back and forth with a technician. But the problem has never gone away. 

I am getting "timed out due to security" concerns, for some reason. This has never happened before, and I can be typing an email response to someone, and it just throws me back to the sign in screen. I lose everything I typed. 

This is not acceptable, but I am not sure where the problem lies. I need to fix this through comcast, and if the problem is not on them, I may need to go with a new computer. I just don't know. I keep my computer cleaned up pretty well, but who knows. I just need this stopped so I can use my email account. 

Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Email Timing Out For "Security" Reasons.

Try using an e-mail client, such as Windows live mail, thunderbird ect.

Regular Visitor

barbie123, I am sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about. I am just using what I pay for each month with comcast. I have cleaned out cookies and files and have run the Norton, but it still times me out and forces me to sign in when I am already signed in. 

Going to call comcast, which I hate to do. 

Regular Contributor

Calling Comcast isn't going to help. The web client is written to log you out after a certin period of inactivitiy - and yes, it is done for security purposes, specifically so that other people can't sit down at your machine and gain access after you have gotten up and left. Your only options are to use an email client, or have your email forwarded to another account that doesn't constantly log you out.

Valued Contributor

How long have you been signed in when it signs you out?

Regular Visitor

CordeliaAnne, 

I have maybe 5 minutes, then it throws me out to the sign in screen. 

Gold Problem Solver

I am escalating this for assistance by a Comcast Mod to solve it. You should not be signed out in five minutes .

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Valued Contributor

CCCarole wrote:
... You should not be signed out in five minutes .

Isn't 6-12 hours the usual?
Frequent Visitor

This is extremely frustrating!  Several times now I have been in the process of writing a long reply, which means I AM USING my email, and then it times me out WITHOUT saving my writing.

I could handle the stupidity of signing in again, if only the program would not throw away all my work.

Is there some way to set the time-out to longer than 5 minutes?  After all I am home and don't have evil strangers lurking my email system, sheesh.....

And is there some way I can retrieve all my work?

Regular Visitor

I agree with the complaints about itming out. I have the same problem. Even when I'm answering/replying, and even sendin an email the dumb thing times out. DUH! Isn't he account 'active' enough, that you are answering the emails proof enough. This is due to a 'dumb' parameter that someone thought would protect against strangers using your email account. The 5" window does absolutely nothing in that regard. I'm forced to "X-out" the email connect feature and start all over whenever I want to use my email function. This is not acceptable.......and the answer given "use an email client" is a poor solution. Shame on you Xfinity.