Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Email Settings On Comcast

Regular Contributor

Email Settings On Comcast

I am curious about my email accounts with Comcast.  In the image they show to be POP and when I

added them to both my android devices it automatically retreived the settings and shows to be IMAP.

The mail is synced to all my android devices like the protocol is IMAP.  Why does it have POP

on the Comcast site are is that the way it works just having the IMAP indications on my devices?

ScreenShot008b.jpg
Email Expert

Re: Email Settings On Comcast

Most late model smartphones and tablets will auto-detect Comcast accounts now as IMAP compliant, and will auto-configure them accordingly when you put in your ID and password.  If you want to use POP3 you would have to configure each device manually.  It is the email client/device that determines how you have the account set up on it or in it.  Are you using the new email format for Comcast or the old one?  Are you using an email client on a desktop or laptop computer, and if so, which one?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

I am using Windows Mail on my laptop and how do I discern which I'm using on comcast?

Email Expert

Ok when you say Windows Mail on the laptop, do you mean on a Vista machine, or one using Windows 8.1 or 10?  To tell which version of the webmail you have, did you just get an option to switch to the new format, or are you still using the old one?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Running W10 build 1511. I don't remeber getting an option to switch email.  Is there a place to check

for what your asking?

Regular Contributor

I found out Comcast started offering IMAP  in 2013.  The way I set up my emails about 5 or 6 months ago

on my new HP all I had to do was enter my email addy and password and it automatically set them up.

That makes me believe I am using the new version.

Email Expert

Here is what I think you have going on--------the screen shot you posted is of the section in the webmail account where you can add external accounts-------right?  Preferences>>>>>Email>>>>>Accounts---correct?  The reason they show as POP is because that's the way they were put in.  Understand-----that mail fetching feature acts like an email client in that respect.  The fact that the same accounts were set up on the other devices with IMAP would not have any effect on the POP versions.  So if you want them using IMAP in the fetcher, you need to re-create them in there using IMAP.  Then you could delete the POP versions.

I need to experiment  with that accounts thing more myself.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

I did go in and change them all to POP and the Xfinity mail site got all wonky and wouldn't respond right. I changed them all back. I guess as long as aI am getting the IMAP effects I will leave them alone.