Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Email Not Accepting a New Password

Frequent Visitor

Email Not Accepting a New Password

I really hate it when I get that pop-up saying cannot download email or the one that asks me for my password to send an email when 99.9% of the time it just goes through.  I spent 45 minutes online with a Comcast/Xfinity tech today and we thought everything was fixed... but 20 minutes later I went to send an email from my primary admin account... and its asking me for the password.  OK... so I put in the new password for that account and it says it doesn't recognize that password.  What the heck is going on?

I use a Mac, and iPad, and an iPhone... and have three (3) email accounts active.  Two are working but the Primary Admin account seems to have taken a holiday.  We had tried deleting the account, then bringing it back with the known password... NADA.  Tried deleting it and bringing it back with a new password... seemed to work for 5 minutes.  Then after dinner I tried it again, and it rejected the new password.

This is my primary email... the one I use for 90% of my outgoing/incoming correspondence.  Its my actual name, so I can't email tons of people and say that I'm changing my email name because Comcast refuses to use the old or new passwords.  This is crazy.

I'm sure there's a glitch somewheres, I just need to lnow what it is.  And of course, when you talk to the comcast folks, they are mostly geared up for Microsoft OS not Apple OS and Apple Mail.  I mean, somebody as big as Comcast should realize that a lot of people use iphone, ipads, and iMacs for mail.  They should automatically direct you to a Mac-Friendly & experienced tech.  The woman who tried to help me was bending over backwards but she wasn't familiar with Apple Mail nor was her pre-programmed list of questions.  Very frustrating. 

Email Expert

Re: Email Not Accepting a New Password

I have an iMac and an iPhone and I am not having the issue you describe.  I have three Comcast accounts at the moment.  In iOS, you need to set the password in two places------for the incoming server, and then again for the outgoing SMTP server. Did you do that? If not, to change it for the SMTP server;

In iOS 11 go to "Settings" on the home screen, then scroll down to"Accounts & Passwords", click on the account, and then on the next screen tap the "account" again. Scroll down to "SMTP" and tap that. Then tap "smtp.comcast.net" again. On the next screen, tap "smtp.comcst.net", and you will see the password. Change it and then tap "Done" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Was this resolved?  I'm having the exact issue on my mac. I can receive icloud account email there, but my comcast email is not working.  Asks for a password, and does not accept it, even though I can use that password to access my email on xfinity.  Comcast email works fine on my iphone. 

Regular Visitor

comcast chat rep says email upgrade in process.  i had same problem as GJ5.  rep says 1-2hrs then email will be available.  i politely told rep that it is terrible service to just shut down email without notice for some hours.  rep said he will pass that on.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation