Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Email Issue - Comcast vs. Outlook

Regular Visitor

Email Issue - Comcast vs. Outlook

This morning I discovered that all my clients who utilize a Comcast email address were not recieveing my emails. This appears to have started sometime around the first of the March...it's hard to say. I use Microsoft Outlook 2016 as my email browser as part of the Office 365 Suite. While I have Comcast email addresses I no longer use them because several years ago there was such an email headache that I switched to Outlook.com and set my Comcast addresses to auto forward. At this time most of my clients use my Outlook address.

Over the last few weeks I noticed that several of my clients were not returning my emails and today it hit me that all the clients who did not return emails had Comcast email addresses. After calling them and confirming that they never received my emails, I sent emails to my personal Comcast addresses which should have auto forwarded to my Outlook address...but they were never received. My Outlook browser shows the emails in my Sent Items folder as being sent, but they never appear in my Comcast browser and of course are never forwarded. It appears that I am able to receive all Comcast emails.

I called Comcast, explained the issue, and was told it was not their fault and that it was a Microsoft issue. I then called Microsoft and explained eveything to them and they told me it was a Comcast issue. I called Comcast back and they assured me it was a Microsoft issue...so I keep getting passed around and no one wants to resolve the problem.

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Service Expert

Re: Email Issue - Comcast vs. Outlook

Let's see if we can get a few things worked out as far as information goes.

Outlook is an email client, not a browser.  Your browser would be Internet Explorer, or Edge if you have Windows 10.  You're using Office 365 which is accessed online and not as separate programs, so you are accessing Outlook 2016 through IE or Edge.

Once again, Comcast's webmail is viewed through your browser.

Outlook.com used to be known as hotmail.com.

Technically, even though you have your @comcast.net emails forwarded to Outlook.com, you are still using them.

Now, some of the information you have given is a bit confusing.  You say

"My Outlook browser shows the emails in my Sent Items folder as being sent, but they never appear in my Comcast browser and of course are never forwarded."

I'm taking this to mean that you are signing into Outlook.com [or Office 365] and see the emails you sent in the Sent Folder there.  That tells me two things; a.) you're using your @outlook.com address to send emails [obviously], hence using their outgoing server [not Comcast's] and b.) you're not putting your @comcast.net address to send to yourself for it to be forwarded. 

However, before that you said "I sent emails to my personal Comcast addresses which should have auto forwarded to my Outlook address...but they were never received."  Did you inadvertantly send to @comcast.com instead of @comcast.net ?  I ask this because you stated you "no longer use them".

Technically, since you're using Outlook 2016 [Office 365] to send emails, and going through Microsoft's servers at outlook.com, this isn't a Comcast problem as far as the emails you SEND.  The problem remains, however, that some clients using an @comcast.net address are not RECEIVING emails you're sending.  Are you getting any kind of an email stating that a message can't be delivered?  Around the time this appears to have started, did you perhaps make any changes to your outlook.com account such as adding a signature, adding a URL in your signature if you have one?  If so, it's very possible Comcast is silently "dropping" those emails before they're received and not giving you any notice.

Any further information you have that might be helpful would be wonderful.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Could you send me a private message with some sender/recipient details?  A brief inspection shows your forward is still in place, and messages are being sent (and delivered) to your outlook.com address.  I show 11 messages total forwarded in the past 24hrs.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I'll try to be a bit more accurate in what's going on.

Just a bit of history...I used my Comcast addresses (.net not .com) until May of 2014 when, for a month long period, I was unable to send or recieve emails. As a small business owner relying heavily on email as the primary form of communication, I simply couldn't allow Comcast (or any company for that matter) to affect my business so drastically. So I migrated to Microsoft. Don't get me wrong...I'm not a huge fan of them either, but the choices are rather limited. Anyway...

Yes, I use Outlook 2016 as a downloadable app from Office 365. It resides on my desktop, but requires Office 365 to work properly. I use Comcast as my ISP only. I am not sending any mail through the Comcast email system.  All outgoing email comes from Outlook. When I stopped using Comcast email I set it up with an auto forward simply because I didn't want to miss an email that was still going to my old addresses. I suppose in some cases where a client sends an email though the Comcast addresses and gets auto forwarded to my Outlook, my reply may be getting routed back through the Comcast email system...not really sure about that.

I am currently using Windows 10 but I use Firefox as my web browser.

So yes...all my emails have an outlook.com address. In theory, if I send an email to one of my Comcast email addresses I should get it autoforwarded to my Outlook email account. Outlook is showing that they were sent, as they appear in the Sent Items folder with no error ever appearing. However, I never recieve the email back from it being auto forwarded through the Comcast email. I did this as a simple test to try and determine why clients with Comcast email addresses were not receiving my emails. While it didn't provide any answers it did demonstrate that there is an issue and I have confirmed with other Comcast clients that I sent emails to that they never received my emails. And to reiterate, I appear to be receiving all Comcast emails from my clients.

There have been no errors or any indication that something is wrong. The emails are typed, sent to the Outbox, and then appear in the Sent Items folder witthout any indication that there is a problem. I have made to changes to the system or emails. I'm a fan of "don't fix what isn't broken."

The biggest issue for me is who to turn to for help and assitance. Comcast has said that it's not their issue and that my IP is not blocked and Microsoft has said that it's not their issue. I simply don't know who to pressure to resolve the issue.

Interestingly enough, I went to my Gmail account and sent an email to my Comcast address and never received it. So my thought is that it can't be Outlook if an email from Gmail is not being forwarded either.

Thanks so much for any help you can give!

Regular Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for your help! However the only thing I can provide to you is email addresses as there are never any errors or pop ups indicating a delivery issue has occured.