New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Email Hacked

ANSWERED
New Poster

Email Hacked

my email account was hacked last Friday Morning?  What should I do?

Accepted Solution

Re: Email Hacked

How do you know it was hacked?  Is it sending out bogus emails from your account or what? If that is the case---------------------

First, check your Sent folder to see if there are any outgoing messages in it that you didn't send.  If there are none, most likely what has happened in your case is that your email address is being "spoofed".  A spammer can make email messages look like they came from you when they didn't.  If that is the case, there is nothing you can do about it but wait it out.  Spammers will usually use an address for a week or two and then move on.  That would explain any Delivery Failure messages.  They are mail-bombing a large number of other email addresses, and some of them are bound to no longer be valid.  Ergo the bounces.

If, however, you see messages in your Sent folder you didn't send, then the account has been compromised.  Immediately change your password to something stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change the secret question for the account.  Then  run a complete scan of your computer with your A/V software to see if it finds any malware.

After that, you could call Comcast security and see if they can restore the account-------------

"The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected PCs (commonly referred to as "bots"), online fraud and other security issues."

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

View answer in context
Email Expert

How do you know it was hacked?  Is it sending out bogus emails from your account or what? If that is the case---------------------

First, check your Sent folder to see if there are any outgoing messages in it that you didn't send.  If there are none, most likely what has happened in your case is that your email address is being "spoofed".  A spammer can make email messages look like they came from you when they didn't.  If that is the case, there is nothing you can do about it but wait it out.  Spammers will usually use an address for a week or two and then move on.  That would explain any Delivery Failure messages.  They are mail-bombing a large number of other email addresses, and some of them are bound to no longer be valid.  Ergo the bounces.

If, however, you see messages in your Sent folder you didn't send, then the account has been compromised.  Immediately change your password to something stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change the secret question for the account.  Then  run a complete scan of your computer with your A/V software to see if it finds any malware.

After that, you could call Comcast security and see if they can restore the account-------------

"The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected PCs (commonly referred to as "bots"), online fraud and other security issues."

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

My email was done for hours yesterday... but internet was ok... on cust service calling... there was no information given out... but today on national tv is was stated comcast emails were hacked... and info is on sale in bulk. 

No word from comcast to me at this time.... i.e.  I would think if the hack was real, that they should have sent out notices to customers?

One link in regards to a hack.... which I cannot verify.

http://www.csoonline.com/article/3002604/cyber-attacks-espionage/comcast-resets-nearly-200000-passwo...