Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Email Filters don't work

Regular Visitor

Email Filters don't work

I'm learning the Spam Filters are just a sham either poorly programmed or not really designed to work.

1.  When I set up filters to delete spam and phishing from certain domains, they don't  work.   Example:   Messages From: News2@news2.com --- I have set filters to delete messages From  containing the domain "news2.com" OR also From containing local part "news2". And even set filters for To: New2@..... (which shows up in the View Source.  But I just got another email from news2.   That is just ONE example of several times  filters to delete emails from several domains have failed.

2.  Filters to delete emails with a keyword in the Body seem to routinely fail, too.  Example:   filters to delete if Body contains Nigeria (or United Nations, or Benin, or several other tries) appear to fail because I still get phishing emails with those words in the body.

3.  There is an "Address in" filter option.  When I set it to send email to my Save folder when "Address in To or CC is NOT me", it worked ONCE  (I put it in Save folder to see how it worked).  Then it put one of my OWN emails sent to another person in that folder.  Since then, I have gotten many emails that were not addressed to me that have NOT been saved in the Save folder.   I think that filter is just broken, bogus or never programmed correctly.

4.   Why can't I set a filter to either block or delete emails from "Undisclosed-Recipients" (or "Recipients", etc.)?  The "View Source" clearly says "To: Undisclosed-Recipients" yet I can't block those.   Comcast could get rid of 95% of bogus emails if it just blocked all emails (with customer opt-in) that did not have  MY REAL ADDRESS in the TO in View Source!!!!!!!!

Seems Comcast doesn't take phishing and spam emails seriously or it would have filters that work and easier to use (if they worked).  When I tried to get help from "Customer Service" and  "Security Assurance" both of them redirected me to the OTHER phone number and NOBODY seemed to know exactly how to set the filters or why they didn't work.

Email Expert

Re: Email Filters don't work

Your best bet is to just keep marking junk emails as spam when they get to your inbox.  Trying to sort out spam using filters is usually a waste of time and effort.  Spammers just keep changing the from address or the content of the email constantly.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation