Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Email Filters - Can't Modify/Edit/Save

Frequent Visitor

Email Filters - Can't Modify/Edit/Save

Email Filters - Good Morning, I'm in the process of reviewing my email filters. Come to find out that I cannot save my edits, add or delete existing filters. There are 5 email account assosiated to my account and I'm assuming they all will have the same problem. 

From what I have investigated and perhaps could be the problem since my family has been a looooong time customer is that the existing Email accounts are in the "OLD" format??  If so why haven't the Xfinitiy admins convert all the customer accounts to the new format and fix this issue once and for all?  

Please help fix my Email accounts so that we (my family) has full control of the settings.

Respectfully...

Contributor

Re: Email Filters - Can't Modify/Edit/Save

Yes, this issue has been going on for years.   I have had *intermittent* success by modifying existing filters, rather than trying to create new ones, but it's been like pulling teeth.  The following thread has some of my discussion of that, plus some 2016 posts by one person who was able to modify a filter by right-clicking on the sender in an email (full version of Connect only, not Lite); and other people who were able to actually get through to some Comcast people who could really help:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/can-t-save-email-filters/td-p/2521770

BUT, yesterday I had a pleasant and unexpected surprise on the filter count:  I wanted to create a new filter, and tried to do it by modifying an old one I no longer need.  While there was no error message, it didn't "take" -- i.e., the old filter remained in place.  So, thinking it would probably be a waste of time, I decided to try Internet Explorer 11 instead of my usual Firefox (I am on Windows 7, BTW.)  To my surprise, in IE the modification resulted in "Filter Saved Successfully."  It moved it to the top, and today I verified that it actually worked.

If THAT is all that was needed all these years, couldn't Comcast have figured it out???  I suppose it's also possible it was a fluke and wouldn't work next time, even in IE, but I haven't tested (which also means I also have not tried to see if I can do a brand new filter in IE).  But now I'm bracing for a new round of filter problems, as there is a recent thread where people report trying to use a new version of email that Comcast is apparently phasing in, and finding that it makes creating a filter even MORE problematic...

Frequent Visitor

Actually going to say you were lucky. Smiley Wink I have IE11 and Firefox, updated, running on Win 10 and both un-successful (as of today) this also includes trying to run as admin. I've read through many forum entries and have yet see a solution that worked. This is definately a XFinity issue that needs to be addressed.

Email Expert

dlblwarren wrote:

Email Filters - Good Morning, I'm in the process of reviewing my email filters. Come to find out that I cannot save my edits, add or delete existing filters. There are 5 email account assosiated to my account and I'm assuming they all will have the same problem. 

From what I have investigated and perhaps could be the problem since my family has been a looooong time customer is that the existing Email accounts are in the "OLD" format??  If so why haven't the Xfinitiy admins convert all the customer accounts to the new format and fix this issue once and for all?  

Please help fix my Email accounts so that we (my family) has full control of the settings.

Respectfully...

The filters in the old format have long been wonky.  Since Comcast is migrating all customers to the new format at some point, I doubt they will spend any resources now to try and fix what they have not fixed for a long time.  My experience with the new format indicates to me that the filters work much more reliably than they did in the old one.  There is no way of knowing when all existing customers will be on the new format other than early in 2017.  New Comcast customers are being set up in the new one by default.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Latoque wrote:

My experience with the new format indicates to me that the filters work much more reliably than they did in the old one.

Good to hear.

Question:  Were your old filters retained when Xfinity switched you to the new email format?  Or is it worth making a record of all my old filter rules now to guide re-creation, in anticipation of their sudden disappearance when I am moved to the new format?

Email Expert

When I agreed to the migration, I didn't have any filters in place with the old format.  They were just too unreliable.  I would set one up and it was fine for a while, then all of a sudden they would just become disabled, without any way to know that unless I went in and checked.  They would just stop working. So to answer your question, it wouldn't hurt to somehow save your current filter information.  But AFAIK, they are supposed to make the move intact.  I have 5 filters enabled now in the new format, and so far have not had any problem with them.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Rick1361 wrote: ... Were your old filters retained when Xfinity switched you to the new email format? ...

Yes, but they didn't work. I had to go through each line of each filter and re-select all the conditions and folder names before they started working again.

Frequent Visitor

Yep do what I do best as an Analyst... Snap shot and recreate.  What I figured would happen when we eventualy get updated. 

Thanks Bruce for the info.