Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Email Filter on "Header Contains" in Xfinity "New" Webmail?

ANSWERED
Contributor

Email Filter on "Header Contains" in Xfinity "New" Webmail?

I want Comcast to automatically search the header of each arriving message for URLs that I identify as broadcasters of spam and discard any that are found before forwarding them to my inbox.  So the filter I want to create would look something like:

Condition:  "Header" "Contains" "spamsender.com"

Action:  "Discard"

Then I would add additional Condition lines to this "Discard" filter as I identify more spammers in my inbox.

Although there is an option for "Header" in the "Add Condition" drop-down list, when I select it I get two boxes that both must be filled before the filter can be saved:  "Name" and "Matches."  (The boxes offered, "Matches," "Contains," etc., vary with the option chosen.)  It's not obvious how to use these entries to achieve the result I want.

(The spammer's URL rarely appears in the "Return-path" or "From" lines of the header, which are usually bogus, so I have been examining the "Received: from" lines that end in "by: ...Comcast.net" to identify the original broadcaster.  I'm not sure this is the correct procedure, especially since there are usually several "Received: from" lines..., so this is another question for you folks.)

I guess what I need is a more in-depth tutorial on how to set up a complex e-mail filter in Comcast/Xfinity Web mail.  Any specific solution to my problem or fuller explanation of what's going on would be greatly appreciated. -- JCW17

Accepted Solution

Re: Email Filter on "Header Contains" in Xfinity "New" Webmail?

JCW17 wrote: ... Although there is an option for "Header" in the "Add Condition" drop-down list, when I select it I get two boxes that both must be filled before the filter can be saved:  "Name" and "Matches."  (The boxes offered, "Matches," "Contains," etc., vary with the option chosen.)  It's not obvious how to use these entries ...

Unfortunately Comcast seems to have a phobia where documentation is concerned.

In their newer Open-Xchange "Appsuite" webmail ("connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/..."), when you select "Header", you enter the name of the header you want to check in the first box (ex: "Return-path", "From", "Received", etc.). In the second box you enter the data you want to check for in that header line (ex: "spamsender.com").

You can usually click on "Matches" or "Contains" etc. to select a different kind of comparision.

I don't know how this looks if you still have the older "Zimbra" webmail ("web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/...") as all my accounts have been converted to "Appsuite".

View answer in context
Email Expert

My 2¢-------------trying to use personal filters to control spam just doesn't work very well.  Spammers constantly change their emails and email addresses to defeat such tactics.  Your best bet is to just keep marking them as spam whenever they get to the Inbox.  It helps to train the filters.  I currently have 3 Comcast email accounts, and none of them ever get any spam.  One of them will occasionally get a false positive hit on a legitimate email from one particular organization I get a newsletter from.  If there are any junk mails directed at them they are being filtered out before I ever see them.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

Latoque -- Thanks for your prompt reply.  A couple of follow-ups:

>>Spammers constantly change their emails and email addresses to defeat such tactics.<<

Yeah, I've noticed that, but it still seems to help some, or used to in the "Old" Xfinity e-mail system.

>>Your best bet is to just keep marking them as spam whenever they get to the Inbox.  It helps to train the filters.<<

I have two problems with that approach, mostly of my own making:

1) I also have three accounts but use POP3 for incoming mail that I download to Outlook.  Although I leave the originals on the server for two weeks after download, it's still a significant pain to log into Web mail to check Comcast's Spam folder, not to mention to designate any messages as spam.  (I'm still not clear on this how would work.  Does each account have a personalized spam filter that the owner can train by this method?  Or is there only one corporate spam filter for everyone, perhaps with personalized designations overlaid?)

2) I have one important correspondent whose incoming mail occasionally and inexplicably gets rejected by Comcast.  The Customer Security Assurance people won't look at a rejected message (obtained as an attachment from another recipient on the mailing list) or the rejection notice (obtained from the correspondent) to determine why it was rejected.  They advise me to turn off their spam filter on that account, which means I'll never know.

Anyhow I'd still like to understand how to set up personal "Discard" filters as outlined in my OP... -- JCW17

Gold Problem Solver

JCW17 wrote: ... Although there is an option for "Header" in the "Add Condition" drop-down list, when I select it I get two boxes that both must be filled before the filter can be saved:  "Name" and "Matches."  (The boxes offered, "Matches," "Contains," etc., vary with the option chosen.)  It's not obvious how to use these entries ...

Unfortunately Comcast seems to have a phobia where documentation is concerned.

In their newer Open-Xchange "Appsuite" webmail ("connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/..."), when you select "Header", you enter the name of the header you want to check in the first box (ex: "Return-path", "From", "Received", etc.). In the second box you enter the data you want to check for in that header line (ex: "spamsender.com").

You can usually click on "Matches" or "Contains" etc. to select a different kind of comparision.

I don't know how this looks if you still have the older "Zimbra" webmail ("web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/...") as all my accounts have been converted to "Appsuite".

Contributor

BruceW -- THANKS!  You hit the nail on the head.

>>Unfortunately Comcast seems to have a phobia where documentation is concerned.<<

Ain't that the truth!

>>In their newer Open-Xchange "Appsuite" webmail ("connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/..."), when you select "Header", you enter the name of the header you want to check in the first box (ex: "Return-path", "From", "Received", etc.). In the second box you enter the data you want to check for in that header line (ex: "spamsender.com").

You can usually click on "Matches" or "Contains" etc. to select a different kind of comparision.<<

That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.  I wasn't going to figure out to put "Received" into the "Name" box.  Too bad I wasn't even smart enough to click on the "Matches" and get the drop-down list with the other available comparisions! -- JCW17

Email Expert

For BruceW, or anyone still in the old format, it looks like this---------------------

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 12.58.18 PM.jpg

And this-

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 12.58.52 PM.jpg

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon