New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Email Address book

ANSWERED
New Poster

Email Address book

When I create a new email and click "To", an address appears in the contacts list which is not in my address book.  I can't delete it from the "To" lookup, and can't find it anywhere else. Is there any way to find it and delete it?

Accepted Solution

Re: Email Address book

The auto-fill feature will populate the field based on what you type into it, and entries are ranked based on freqency of use.  Is it an address you have used before?  The auto-fill has it's own memory, and it may remember addresses even though they are no longer in your address book.  There is no way for you to alter it yourself.  At some point Comcast will update your account, and then it should dissappear.  Thing is that Comcast doesn't do updates like that on a regular basis, so that contact could keep showing up in the list for a while yet.

View answer in context
Email Expert

The auto-fill feature will populate the field based on what you type into it, and entries are ranked based on freqency of use.  Is it an address you have used before?  The auto-fill has it's own memory, and it may remember addresses even though they are no longer in your address book.  There is no way for you to alter it yourself.  At some point Comcast will update your account, and then it should dissappear.  Thing is that Comcast doesn't do updates like that on a regular basis, so that contact could keep showing up in the list for a while yet.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I understand.  Thank you for explaining it!

New Poster

Based on an answer to a similar question about why changes to a mail list are not reflected in the TO field when the group name is used, it appears that the auto-fill feature has it's own memory and is only updated very infrequently by Comcast.  This, of course is a problem.  Sounds like there is no way to force an update.  I'll be left with recreating my group lists , giving them a new name,  every time I have to add or delete someone or edit the TO field manually every time I use it.  Any other suggestions ?

Email Expert

The memory in the To: field doesn't prevent it from using your current groups.  It only keeps old contacts beyond the time you deleted them from the address book.  If your groups are not current when you start typing the group name into the To: field, you should try having the address book re-synced. You need to send an email to helpme@sv.comcast.com In the subject line put "Need Slow Sync of Address Book". In the body of the message describe the problem, and make sure you include the email address with the problem. It can take up to 24 hours for the re-sync to work, but they usually respond sooner.

The address book is actually supplied by a company called Plaxo. There are separate copies in the Full and Lite versions of Xfinity Connect, and they are supposed to be synced with each other. Once in a while they can get out of sync and it will cause these kinds of problems.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem. I have two addresses that pop up when I open the "TO" box, but do not appear in my Address Book. After reading the reply, am I to assume that there is no way for my to permanently delete these addresses, and that Comcast will do if, or when, they decide to do an update?

Email Expert

rangerbob65 wrote:

I am having the same problem. I have two addresses that pop up when I open the "TO" box, but do not appear in my Address Book. After reading the reply, am I to assume that there is no way for my to permanently delete these addresses, and that Comcast will do if, or when, they decide to do an update?

This is a common feature with many webmail programs.  It's nothing peculiar to Comcast.  My Yahoo and Gmail accounts do the same thing.  They will remember an address you actually send an email to and it doesn't matter if it's in the address book or not.  If you want to be able to control what shows up when you start typing in the To: field, then use a desktop client like Outlook, Thunderbird or Apple Mail that has that capability.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Comcast needs to find a way for us to reset our own accounts or do it more often like every month!

Linda Julius

Email Expert