Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Does the Comcast SPAM filter even work?

Frequent Visitor

Does the Comcast SPAM filter even work?

For about a year, I've been getting the stupidest and most obvious SPAM in my Comcast email despite marking at as "Spam" and even forwarding complete message headers to "missed-spam@comcast.net.

Does Comcast really do anything to filter Spam???

What I mean by "stupidest and obvious" is that I can still get the age old well documented Nigerian scam letters, days on end the very same email marked as "Spam" and header forwarded, and so on over and over again from the same sender with the same "spoofing" of email addresses as over and over before.

I have my Spam filter turned on here at Comcast and it does absolutely NOTHING!!!

What I don't do is ever open or mouse over any of the Spam, I don't use any so-called "unsubscribe links" to encourage such Spam to come in. I have all features on my devices to turn off anything that may indicate anything of a kind to the Spam sender such as receipt of delivery to my account, that an email was read by me or not, etc. I also have my email set for text only so no so-called script should catch anything that my account has a person on the other end to read it.

It would be really nice if Comcast could straighten things out with their Spam filter, but then again, I'll probably hear the usual excuses and responsed I've read on the forums here before about Comcast is working on it, it takes a while, things they're doing, and to mark as Spam and send headers to us, blah, blah, blah. I've tried following the very same stuff mentioned on here what to do.

Oh Well ... 

New Poster

Re: Does the Comcast SPAM filter even work?

I have that problem, too. Nothing ever goes into my spam filter - NOTHING. It's empty unless I mark something as spam, and then nothing ever gets filtered. I get anywhere between 20-50 spam emails a day and still nothing ever gets marked as spam.

This is really annoying, comcast. Other mail services do this, why can't you?

Gold Problem Solver

Sadi yiu both have your Spam filter turned on?

Ooen your Ainbox and click on the Preferences tab.

Bow click on the Emailmicon

Now you see all your Emai settings

Scroll down to the  spam Filter and make sure you have it ON.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, The spam filter is on. I've turned it off and on many times too thinking it might reset it.

I'm getting Spam when logged online directly via Windows 7 with Internet Explorer and Mac OS X with Safari. I ALWAYS clear my browser cache and history when through any sessions online for security reasons.

I also get it via Outlook 2016 and OS X El Capitan Mail for Mac. I have rules etup for those clients to remove my Spam manually.

I also use an iPhone mail client and still get the Spam on that, but it's gott e so annoying using the account anymore on it, I've pretty much abandoned using the Comcast account anymore with it or anything else for that matter since my posting here.

The account is a regular Xfinity account, not the X1. The Comcast internet account is nearly 20 years old and has been pretty much Spam free until sometime this past year. Again, the Spam filter IS on and yes tsimply to go through the motions for you, I checked the settings again.

I also online manually move the Spam to the Spam folder while logged directly into my account via Windows or Mac browsers above. Additionally, I always send as attachments the Spam to the missed Spam email address to Comcast.

The Spam is so blatanly obvious it isn't funny! How can even the old well documented Nigerian scam get through so easily. How does Comcast Spam even let an obviously spoofed email address from a totally different account altogether slip by. I can go on and on and on her. How does the same Spam as submitted repeatedly come back?

At any rate I do know what I'm doing being as I do work in IT how to handle and setup things on my end. It's just that the Spam filter Comcasteither doesn't work at all, or is ineffective at at picking up the traits of submitted Spam altogether.

As I mentioned above, I've pretty much all but abandoned the Comcast account for any use, instead relying more so onboth my corporate email and a secondary personal email. It's rarely I check back on Comcast email much except perhaps to look for stray incoming emails from people I may not yet have gotten around to notifying of my use of another email.

In Thank You for your time on the matter, but I'm gonna have to say now not to bother with this issue anymore as per above I now barely use the Comcast email account anymore anyhow.

New Poster

Yes, filter's on. Of course, that's the first thing to check. Just got bombarded again. Nothing ever reaches the spam folder.

Frequent Visitor

I have never had even one spam email go directly into the spam folder.  NOT ONE!  Only those that I deliberately put there.  And I have been a comcast subscriber for years. 

The spam filter is on.  Always has been.  I check it from time to time.  Still on.  Still receive numerous spam emails daily all the while none being filtered.

New Poster

Why would comcast block spam? They probably sold your email addresses to the spammers in the first place.

Valued Contributor

I've been wondering the same thing. Three in my inbox this morning.

a spam1.JPG

Contributor

Does the spam filter even work? 

NO!  i looked as directed to above and the spam filter was on, and spam emails are to be saved. 

I looked into the Spam folder, and there was ONE message in there (where i expected to see year's worth of spam messages).

So OBVIOUSLY the spam filter is NOT WORKING even the slightest bit.  What the heck are you guys at comcast doing?  This is an OBVIOUS problem that needs to be addressed!

New Poster

I, too, continue to have items marked as spam re-appear my next check of email.  I have marked messages from the same senders as spam more times than I can remember, and nothing happens and their spam continues to appear in my in-box.

May I suggest that since we are NOT getting the service we paid for, Comcast offer all of us a partial refund on our monthly bills until they get this service working correctly?

Contributor

sounds good to me!

I do need to point out that the Comcast/Xfinity spam filter is not the same filter i have on my Thunderbird email program.  The work independently.  

The difference is the Comcast spam filter is just a pass thru box, i.e. 100% fails to do anything good, where as my thunderbird spam filter pretty much works, but gets tricked sometimes where spamers get creative with titles, like

"D o y ou need V Iag Ra?"

New Poster

Thank you.  I didn't have spam direction enabled.  Now hopefully it will work.

Contributor

Short and long answer: NO. Get used to lot's and lot's of spam.

Contributor

The trouble is, it is just darned annoying.  My thunderbird email program on my PC works great.  But i also send a copy of my emails to my iphone, and they only get blocked by the comcast filter....which lets in pretty much anything.  I wish they would impove it!

New Poster

I can understand the frustration.  However, finally, in the past week, after enabling the spam filtering in my email preferences (I use Xfinity's email program), the spam from the same two senders is finally gone!

New Poster

GreenMtnDoll wrote:

Thank you.  I didn't have spam direction enabled.  Now hopefully it will work.

Does "spam direction" really work?  I can't find where to enable it.

Contributor

Bottom line....the Comcast email filters are substandard and can't even filter repetitive spam from the same origins reliably. Comcast email is therfore a substandard product. I have completely switched to gmail because their spam filtering is so much more effective.I have had  the Comcast  email filtering preferences enabled. It DOES NOT HELP.

Contributor

it is not worth the effort!  thing does not work at all.

But if you want to try, log into the Xfinity website, access your email there online, and one of the preferences, as i recall, has to do with spam

Contributor

I have often wondered if Comcast is enabling/ supporting some of this 3rd party spam traffic through their email servers for $$.