New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Delivery System Notification Problem

ANSWERED
New Poster

Delivery System Notification Problem

For the last 80 hours my Comcast email account has been resending a specific piece of undeliverable email.  It's from the Mail Delivery System and the subject is Delivery System Notification.  The error message is... Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 74.0 hour(s): * XXX@metrocast.net

Is there any known way to short circuit this loop.  I've been a Comcast email user for several years and this is the only time this problem has occured...so far.  Any and all help will be much appreciated.   

Accepted Solution

Re: Delivery System Notification Problem

julie209 wrote:

For the last 80 hours my Comcast email account has been resending a specific piece of undeliverable email.  It's from the Mail Delivery System and the subject is Delivery System Notification.  The error message is... Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 74.0 hour(s): * XXX@metrocast.net

Is there any known way to short circuit this loop.  I've been a Comcast email user for several years and this is the only time this problem has occured...so far.  Any and all help will be much appreciated.   

There's no way to short circuit the loop, but that loop has ended for you. Notice the "aborted" bit. The previous messages said "still underway". When Comcast encounters a *temporary* error when trying to deliver an email it'll keep trying to deliver it for about 3 days, and then give up. If they encountered a *permanent* error, they would give up immediately, and just send you one DSN. Temporary problems often get resolved. I actually like the way they handle temporary errors. Some outfits wait 4 days to tell you that they were unable to deliver an email due to temporary errors. I'd rather find out after a few hours that my email wasn't delivered, and be periodically informed of the status during the "retry" period.

View answer in context
Official Employee

Could you show us the generating server?  You might need to look at the headers for that message.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

julie209 wrote:

There's no way to short circuit the loop, but that loop has ended for you. Notice the "aborted" bit. The previous messages said "still underway". When Comcast encounters a *temporary* error when trying to deliver an email it'll keep trying to deliver it for about 3 days, and then give up. If they encountered a *permanent* error, they would give up immediately, and just send you one DSN. Temporary problems often get resolved. I actually like the way they handle temporary errors. Some outfits wait 4 days to tell you that they were unable to deliver an email due to temporary errors. I'd rather find out after a few hours that my email wasn't delivered, and be periodically informed of the status during the "retry" period.

New Poster

Steve:  Faster than a speeding bullet; able to leap tall buildings...thanks for the prompt reply.  Would give you a kudo but have not figured out how to do it yet or find the "Paste from Word" button but I'm sure they are both here somewhere...thanks again...Rick Donovan 

New Poster

I'm getting one of those "delivery aborted after "x" seconds" messages. It's from email trying to go to a Jersey shore server: lonekeep.com.  Any ideas about how I can get through? 

Official Employee

rickjan wrote:

I'm getting one of those "delivery aborted after "x" seconds" messages. It's from email trying to go to a Jersey shore server: lonekeep.com.  Any ideas about how I can get through? 

This looks like a misconfiuration at the remote (destination) end.  Their server is accepting mail to other recipients, but rejecting the recipient you're sending to.

Are you sure the address is correctly spelled?  Are you able to call the recipient, so they can have it escalated to the IT staff on that end?

Hope this helps,

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Is it possible that my email is being "blocked" in some way by the server or recepient?  The guy owes me money.

New Poster

I replied already but haven't seen anything back.  I asked if it was possible that @lonekeep.com is specifically blocking me and causing the "aborted" message.

Rick

Regular Visitor

I am having this same issue.  Also sometimes when I send a reply message the message is blank. These issues just started a couple of weeks ago.  What is going wrong?

New Poster

I am receiving the same delivery system notification message. When I 'forward' the previously sent message, the recipient receives it so I don't know if it is the fault of the server on the other end or if it is Comcast.

I just received responses from the original email sent 10 hours ago. I actually received two responses because the identical email was delivered twice. I believe this is a Comcast issue.

Frequent Visitor

Also been having having the same message/problem here it is whenever I send to my family in Hampton Roads area of VA. They all are XXXX@cox.net. Been goiing on for close to two weeks now. Some mails go through right away. Some resend for a few hours, some try for before going through.